Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 3 Series E46, Key Fob Battery Replacement

• 29-10-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase a Panasonic VL 2020 Battery without buying online?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

That is a rechargeable battery so is not likely to be found in a shop, your only option is online as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

the battery could just actually have no charge in it. is it your spare key or main key? they are a pain to change you have to cut open the bloosy key as its a sealed unit and then glue it back together :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

etxp wrote: »
    the battery could just actually have no charge in it. is it your spare key or main key? they are a pain to change you have to cut open the bloosy key as its a sealed unit and then glue it back together :(

Only have the one key, it's the misses car and it only used as a run around, I took it to work this morning to see if a longer run would charge it but still no joy, the car is an ‘02 so I've come to the conclusion that the battery has just run out of life...

I've looked up how to change the battery online, so I know I need to slice open the Fob then unsolder the connections, insert the new battery and re-solder, then glue up the Fob, unfortunately it looks like this will be the only way to get it back working.

celticbest wrote: »
    Only have the one key, it's the misses car and it only used as a run around, I took it to work this morning to see if a longer run would charge it but still no joy, the car is an ‘02 so I've come to the conclusion that the battery has just run out of life...

I've looked up how to change the battery online, so I know I need to slice open the Fob then unsolder the connections, insert the new battery and re-solder, then glue up the Fob, unfortunately it looks like this will be the only way to get it back working.

If the key hasn't been used for a good while the battery will run out of juice and the key will need to be coded to the car again. A quick search on e46zone or Google will tell u how to code it. Try that before buying a new battery and cutting the key open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

If the key hasn't been used for a good while the battery will run out of juice and the key will need to be coded to the car again. A quick search on e46zone or Google will tell u how to code it. Try that before buying a new battery and cutting the key open.

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/1449-how-to-program-your-bmw-remote-key-fobs-to-your-car/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

celticbest wrote: »

Based on handbook info on using spare key to keep it charged I would say if it is used a few times a month then it should keep it's charge. In my opinion your battery is dead and needs replacement.

Any joy with the coding?

Any joy with the coding?

I bought one of these batteries,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150999116697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It arrived on Friday but I only got around to putting it in last night, unfortunately I still cannot get the FOB to work the central locking, I tried all the different tutorials on youtube but none make it work….:(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Does the lock/unlock button inside the car work and/or does the key arm and disarm the alarm? It could be your GM5/body control module.

• Advertisement

V1 wrote: »
    Does the lock/unlock button inside the car work and/or does the key arm and disarm the alarm? It could be your GM5/body control module.

Yes the lock/unlock button works fine, key doesn't seem to do anything.

Looks like I'm going to have to go for a new key...

Advertisement