Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is the irish army age capped at 26? while the british is 32?

Options
  • 10-03-2012 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

something i came across :)
    why is there a 6 year gap?

If we look to sport a person in their 30s can start to wind down so the british army having a cap of 32 makes you say "ok" to that. If thats want they want to do.

But the irish army being 26? :confused: Never heard of anyone being past it at age 26.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

its 25 for the army 26 for navy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

carl.r wrote: »

If we look to sport a person in their 30s can start to wind down so the british army having a cap of 32 makes you say "ok" to that. If thats want they want to do.

But the irish army being 26? :confused: Never heard of anyone being past it at age 26.
    I wondered this as well. I contemplated joining the British army a few years back when they went to Iraq and noticed the 32 age limit. It didn't pan out but I thought about a few years in the Irish army just for the experience and was surprised at the age limit. Can't understand it myself since whether you're passed it or not they do feck all but mind bank money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It was done to reduce the Age profile of the Army some years ago, when we had an army made up mostly of privates in their mid 40s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The Irish Army has many more applicants for enlistment than it can handle thus it can be stiffer on various criteria. The high average age was one factor in having a low age barrier. Another factor was that younger soldiers are more likely to leave and find another occupation after a few years.
    The British Army forces people out an an earlier age than the Irish Army. They don't have Sergeant majors or Company sergeants in their 50s. The ideal scenario from a military point of view would be enlistment for about 5 years with a small proportion remaining on and becoming senior NCO's, with no privates over 40.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

The Army, Air Corps, and Navy upper age limit for cadetships is 27.

The Army and Air Corps upper age limit for recruits is 24, and 26 for the Navy.

http://www.military.ie/careers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

because the Irish army can afford to be choosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I wondered this as well. I contemplated joining the British army a few years back when they went to Iraq and noticed the 32 age limit. It didn't pan out but I thought about a few years in the Irish army just for the experience and was surprised at the age limit. Can't understand it myself since whether you're passed it or not they do feck all but mind bank money.

Considering how much you know about what the army do I doubt you would have managed to get in even if you were 21, nor would have been able to cope with what they do, ...when not 'minding bank money' of course

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

I was told that another reason for the age limit was after you hit your mid to late 20's you really are your own person with your own morals and opinions which make you harder to mould during basic training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It was done to reduce the Age profile of the Army some years ago, when we had an army made up mostly of privates in their mid 40s.

This.

There was an embargo on recruiting from late eighties into somewhere near the early nineties which lead to an aged defence forces.

Advertisement