Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chocolate Labrador

• 01-10-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I need a new dog as I have retired my old springer a few years ago. I like the look of the labrador and I was looking at a chocolate coloured one. I see on some forums that these are considered to be not as intelligent or more wilful than black or golden. Has anyone tried these dogs as field/retriever dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

2 friends of mine both have chocolates and the work fine. Never heard if anyone saying they're not as good as other colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

The chocolate dogs are not as popular in the shooting field as you would think, my mate had one only for retrieving,he didnt have much go in him but just about done the job, i bet there is some very good dogs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kells1

Never saw or heard of a ftch chocolate lab...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Trailing men won't touch Choco labs , the few I know have tryed and said there a waste of time to much of the show breeding in them .

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Trailing men won't touch Choco labs , the few I know have tryed and said there a waste of time to much of the show breeding in them .

I find it a bit strange that chocolate labs would have this reputation. Isn't it possible to get the three colours in the one litter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

5 atually , but the three dominant colours in trailing dogs are black yellow and red ,

Not Choco , Choco seems to be turning up in show dogs more and more , and any experience I've had with Choco labs they are alway big versions labs and alway seem to be dopey feckers .

That's not to say that you couldn't teach these dogs to retrieve , but you won't be winning any trail soon with them

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

I would recommend a black lab, form my learning at Newton rigg college studying Gamekeeping L3, chocolate Labradors ratain more weight due to their genes which in therms means you will have to excersise it more depending on what diet you feed it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JOHNERS

stick to yrou spinger mate

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

A lot of the trailing labs tend to be very nervous .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Friend of mine has a Choc Lab, and although he's on the heavy side, he's an excellent dog on water!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭blackwater doc

heres the red type

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

My lad, retrieve all day and a very high drive but very disobedient, impossible to keep him close to you unless on a lead, a bit of duck shooting or snipe is all he gets!!

Advertisement