Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how do you winterize your outboard .

• 19-09-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

just want to know how you guy,s out there winterize your outboard seeming the boating season is nearly gone and I will have to do this for the first time myself . how do you guy,s go about doing this . thanks . the outboard I have is a evinrude 70hp 2 stroke how would I go about winterizing this outboard .

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

In my opinion you don't have to :) just leave the engine in the down position so it can drain and make sure there is no water in the gear oil, start the engine up a few times over the winter and it should be fine come spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

:confused: start the engine up ? while it is out of the water :confused: clarify please fergal :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

lockmaster wrote: »
    :confused: start the engine up ? while it is out of the water :confused: clarify please fergal :confused:

Yep just put on a set of earmuffs and run a hose to it. I do this after every run in saltwater as well.

earmuffs_on.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

right so cheers will do easy peasy sooooooooooo .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

There are a few things you need to watch. I don't agreed with Fergal completely however I do believe its not a big deal to do it right.

A few things to note, some have been said before

Make sure you keep it titled down. Water gathers in and around the propellor which if left there can start to corrode the engine. This is easily preventable by letting it drain.
    It can also freeze and thaw in the cold weather which can end up in serious damage to the gear box.
    All solved by putting the engine down when it comes out of the water. You can tilt it up again when the water as drained if you wish. But rain and other water could gather so tilt it down frequently.

Sorry that posted to early...

I don't completely agree with Fergal when he says to start it frequently. This is fine if it is your pride and joy and you do it for the peace of mind or something to do, but the vast majority of people I've taught power boating to over the years either do not have the time, or they forget to start the engine throughout the winter. So setting yourself up to have to start it, more frequently leads to issues. People generally want a solution that they can do at the end of the season and then forget about until march.

Your water is sorted as above, you have removed all the salt from the system. You should change out your gearbox oil as it degrades and your better off having good stuff in there.

Spray in fogging oil to the cylinders if you wish. Mixed opinions about this, some say it is not necessary. My opinion, I have never seen an outboard I have winterized with fogging oil have an issue, but have seen issues when it hasn't been used.

It's pretty much done now. The main thing really is getting the salt out of the system and washing down the whole engine. Do it right and you don't need to touch it, but can if you wan that piece of mind.

Come spring and the new season, the engine should be serviced with new plugs, personally I'd have more new gear box oil as I'd have used a different grade for storage over the winter which should be changed before the season. Also a new anode which are very cheap.

Preventative maintenance is best. WD40 on the innards of the engine does wonders to prevent corrosion, as does a good marine grease.

Also, take the battery out, do not store it on the ground, place it on a counter or box etc. Ideally hook it up to a trickle charger, or give it a full 24-48 hour external (plugged into a charger at home not being charged by the engine) charge before you use it in the spring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement