Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foal killed in Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well great, now I'm starting off the day disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

Words escape me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I feel sick. Attacking some poor animal that feels pain and fear but has not concept of what is happening and why:( I think I may know the one, as I was walking in that area on Friday.

And of course if they were underaged, nothing is going to happen to the little £%^%&'s. Not that much would with adults, not enough crackdown on animal cruelty by a long shot. :mad:

I'd really like to see a focus in schools on humane treatment of animals. But the parents need to contribute too (mainly, even). You hear about so much animal neglect and abuse these days: it's not just a few isolated psychos, it seems almost commonplace. Where is the gap in that upbringing?:confused:

Animals being kept on public land contributes to this as well. This would want to be monitored and prevented (dare I say it, especially in areas like Castlepark).

And...this poor foal should probably never have been born to begin with as this ^%*$*&%% breeding needs to stop when people can't look after their animals and keep them safe.

EDIT: And people were standing by looking on? Some grownup without the courage to stand up to a few scumbag young teens. How do they sleep at night? I am SO done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭grosser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

That is just horrendous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Galway City Council dont enforce the tenant agreement with the people who keep horses in City estates, anyone that keeps horses shound be told get rid of the horse or loose your house, that would solve this problem pretty quickly. Sick bas...ds

Aerohead wrote: »
    get rid of the horse or loose your house

I do agree that there should be enforcements but I do worry about the initial consequences of a big bunch of scumbags having to choose the quickest cheapest way to get rid of their horses....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

This is not surprising seeing the way these f##kers treat animals. They abuse dogs, set cats alight and beat horses, then say keeping them is their right. They should be spayed themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

grosser wrote: »

Galway Bay FM covered it, and it was the opening piece on Galway Talks yesterday morning.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-talks-ollie-turner-wednesday-18th-june-2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

And people still look at me funny when I say I have no time, empathy or sympathy for humans. Sh1t like this is the reason why. We are a sh1t species. Noisy, smelly, selfish, barbaric. I hope we become extinct and leave the earth in peace. Love to string those fuuckers upside down and drain their balls. Our legal system is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Some sick sick psychopaths out there. You want to be mad in the head to do something like that to an animal. Those teens should be named, shamed and punished. Why are people allowed to keep large animals within an urban boundary?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aerohead wrote: »
    Galway City Council dont enforce the tenant agreement with the people who keep horses in City estates, anyone that keeps horses shound be told get rid of the horse or loose your house, that would solve this problem pretty quickly. Sick bas...ds

Because they know that for some people, such enforcement would lead to an illegal halting site being established somewhere.

It all comes down to education.

Punishment might make ya feel good for now, but the kids involved must be seriously f*cked up to have done this - and unless they receive the right help, they will do it again, possibly to a human being next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Because they know that for some people, such enforcement would lead to an illegal halting site being established somewhere.

It all comes down to education.

Punishment might make ya feel good for now, but the kids involved must be seriously f*cked up to have done this - and unless they receive the right help, they will do it again, possibly to a human being next time.

Its not help they need. That's part of the problem in society now. Everything is excused away on the basis that he/she was uneducated/deprived/disturbed etc. I say fuuck that, nobody is above knowing right from wrong. They just choose not to care either way.

Poor innocent baby animal. Cannot imagine the pain and suffering he endured, and how helpless his mother must have felt when she heard her baby screaming to be saved. I hope they burn in hell for eternity. We have a soft law, lets hope God does not.

Now I'm out of this thread, because I already hate people enough. If I hate them any more I am in danger of becoming a recluse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I reported a young foal in the CastlePark/Ballybane area to the GSPCA not long ago, not because it was being neglected or not fed or anything, in general they are well fed and watered, but it was because of the kids. I would see them trying to get up on the foal and try to ride it bareback around the park. there was one kid who was always trying to pin the young foal into a corner and get up on it and he was in my opinion too heavy to be getting up on this horse. the foal would be in so much distress trying to get away. I tried to reason with the kids and explain what they were doing was hurting the horse but i was told to p off that theyve had horses since they were 3yrs old and knew how to look after them. So I decided to report it to GSPCA mainly because a neighbour of mine told me the previous horse that was being kept there was found down in merlin park woods dead cos they had broken its back by getting up on it.

This story has made me sick to my stomach. Last week we had a new horse and foal arrive into our park and I was watching them when I could when out walking my dogs but in the last few days I have not been around much. I have a funny feeling its the same foal mentioned here the poor thing

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Its not help they need. That's part of the problem in society now. Everything is excused away on the basis that he/she was uneducated/deprived/disturbed etc. I say fuuck that, nobody is above knowing right from wrong. They just choose not to care either way.

Poor innocent baby animal. Cannot imagine the pain and suffering he endured, and how helpless his mother must have felt when she heard her baby screaming to be saved. I hope they burn in hell for eternity. We have a soft law, lets hope God does not.

Now I'm out of this thread, because I already hate people enough. If I hate them any more I am in danger of becoming a recluse.

This (and also thank you for painting that picture, almost started crying at my desk at work). OK, some serious psychological evaluation is probably in order but punishment more so. Because I just don't believe this would happen if there was a enforced zero tolerance policy again this sh*t. That can come in the form of psych evaluation in an enclosed facility, but as long as they're taken out of society and put into a situation that is gonna be less than enjoyable. They know they're gonna get away with it because people they know probably have in the past. It even comes across as an "up yours, see what we can get away with".

If they know it was a youth gang, they must know who they were. As someone living in the area, I'd like to know what I'm dealing with if they're left to continue being criminals and psychopaths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Philosophical - Would folk be as outraged if it was a baby rat ?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but if an equivalent had happened to a baby rat (or any baby or grown animal) yes, I would be as outraged. I don't think any creature that can feel pain or fear should be subjected to that for the entertainment of some sick f*cks who can't just carry out their psychosis through a game of Grand Theft Auto or whatnot. Or let them beat the sh*t out of each other, I don't care, as long as no innocent creature with no concept of what's going on has part in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fantastic parenting strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    We are a sh1t species. Noisy, smelly, selfish, barbaric.
    Basically, just like every other animal on the planet.
    fifib wrote: »
    I tried to reason with the kids and explain what they were doing was hurting the horse but i was told to p off that theyve had horses since they were 3yrs old and knew how to look after them.
    That makes it sound like it's their own horse?? You'd think even if the owner doesn't care about the welfare of the animal that they'd see it as something that's worth money (or, why else would they keep it), I don't see how they could allow the animal to be killed like that and do nothing.

How many city kids go to petting zoos and the likes? If city kids aren't introduced to animals in a good way when their young animals are just things that appear on their supermarket shelf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Yet again no response whatsoever from anybody in authority when stray horses in urban areas are reported.
    I hold them partly responsible. Wholly responsible if it turns out these little sh1ts can be held legally liable for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

unless they receive the right help, they will do it again, possibly to a human being next time.

First thing I thought when I heard of this. I do think though that the help should be combined with punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

spurious wrote: »
    Fantastic parenting strikes again.

Careful now....we all know its not's the parents fault...its societies :rolleyes:

yew_tree wrote: »
    Careful now....we all know its not's the parents fault...its societies :rolleyes:
    It is partially societies fault. When we know that the way our society is organised contributes to people turning out like this and we do nothing to change it and it keeps happening over and over under the same circumstances. Then it's society's fault for not doing anything to change the conditions that breeds people like this.

The human animal in particular is a by product of it's environment. It's born almost with a blank slate and learns how to survive in whatever environment it's dropped into. When they behave a certain way you have to consider the environment that encouraged them to think they need to behave that way to get by.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It is partially societies fault. When we know that the way our society is organised contributes to people turning out like this and we do nothing to change it and it keeps happening over and over under the same circumstances. Then it's society's fault for not doing anything to change the conditions that breeds people like this.
    It's also "society's" fault that we accept a complete non-response from the relevant bodies when stray horses are reported.
    Just get them all out of cities already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

This kind of cruelty to animals is nothing new in Galway. Last year a horse was set on fire in Ballybane, a while before that a dog was tied up and allowed to starve to death in an alleyway despite "people" using it. I have often contacted the Gardai, the City Council and the GSPCA about cruelty cases and they are all as bad as each other. The GSPCA in my opinion love to jump on the more publicised cases. I'll bet if a whale washed up on a beach they would be all over it like a cheap suit. The gardai always just say "we'll send a car out" and it never happens. As for the council, my God what a bunch of useless, cretins. They don't even answer their phones. Anyway, that's just from my own experiences in dealing with them.

There are laws in place already to deal with cases of cruelty. The council should be petitioned and they should be compelled by the citizens of Galway to act. This has gone on for years now and it will keep happening. They can't just keep regurgitating the same lack of finances argument all the time. AFAIK, last I read, they are paying a contractor something like €200 per horse to remove it. Bottom line is, nothing will be done until the public demand enforcement by the council.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It's also "society's" fault that we accept a complete non-response from the relevant bodies when stray horses are reported.
    Just get them all out of cities already.
    Yup. I think in general people in the west have become lazy when it comes to running their country. We elect people in and sit back expected to be waited on like lords. We are pretty much all ignorant of the details of government but we talk as if we're world class experts on every issue twisted in front of us by the media.

I think the only way the country will change is if people can get more involved in the day to day running of their local community. The people in charge now are running amuck simply because we let them.

I have often contacted the Gardai, the City Council and the GSPCA about cruelty cases and they are all as bad as each other. The GSPCA in my opinion love to jump on the more publicised cases. I'll bet if a whale washed up on a beach they would be all over it like a cheap suit. The gardai always just say "we'll send a car out" and it never happens. As for the council, my God what a bunch of useless, cretins. They don't even answer their phones. Anyway, that's just from my own experiences in dealing with them.

Very true. Earlier this year there were some abandoned horses outside where I work and I, along with a few colleagues, were trying to get them rescued. In the end, East Galway Animal Rescue took in 4 horses. The rest went to a pound (arranged by the land owners, not us) and have probably been put down, still a better fate than dying of thirst, hunger and disease on that field.

But the GSPCA (and as far as I can tell all SPCA bodies) are useless. They get more funding than the independent rescues and do less. Anything happening outside of office hours, forget about it. In our case they came out, and were basically pushing around the food we were giving the horses - looked like they were checking if we were poisoning them:rolleyes: Otherwise they did nothing.

The Gardai are and Council need to be relentlessly called and threatened with media involvement to get them to lift a finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

grosser wrote: »

Photos 3 & 4: Galway's Soweto, by the look of it.

Dutchess wrote: »
    The Gardai are and Council need to be relentlessly called and threatened with media involvement to get them to lift a finger.

The problem of horses and associated animal welfare issues has been raised again and again in forums such as the Joint Policing Committee. One of the main difficulties, apart from the general lack of strict enforcement, is that there is no place to keep any animals that are seized/rescued. That in turn is a failure on the part of the authorities -- the talking goes on and on but the action is painfully slow.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Photos 3 & 4: Galway's Soweto, by the look of it.

The problem of horses and associated animal welfare issues has been raised again and again in forums such as the Joint Policing Committee. One of the main difficulties, apart from the general lack of strict enforcement, is that there is no place to keep any animals that are seized/rescued. That in turn is a failure on the part of the authorities -- the talking goes on and on but the action is painfully slow.
    Destroyed humanely. Any and every horse found within city boundaries.
    And every unleashed dog too while you're at it, though the uselessness of dog wardens is another issue.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    One of the main difficulties, apart from the general lack of strict enforcement, is that there is no place to keep any animals that are seized/rescued.
    What about some sort of horse license? You can't get one without proving you have the facilities to take care of one and it gives the authority an excuse to make enquiries about any horse they see abandoned and the authority to take the horse straight away for an owner to come forward and present their license, they could pay a release fee on the condition they can show they can provide proper accommodation.

The license fee could go towards rehoming any abandoned animals they find.

I'm sure legitimate and conscientious owners won't like the idea of added expense put upon them but I think anyone with even a passing love of horses could see the merit in such a system.

Advertisement