Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

The weather looks very bad next weekend according to Met Eireann today,low pressure system bringing wind and rain then winds go to the North with a drop in temp. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Chicken1 wrote: »
    The weather looks very bad next weekend according to Met Eireann today,low pressure system bringing wind and rain then winds go to the North with a drop in temp. :mad:

That would be an improvement from the current weather! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Chicken1 wrote: »

Every weather forecast I've been looking at has been wrong for the past month.
    Fingers crossed they get this wrong too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Are there any campsites that are near the venues?

Other option is somewhere safe to park a van overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No camp sites close. Try Salthill camping but that's probably booked out since a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Has Phil Collins been confirmed yet for the welcoming concert,a lot of buzz going round and I hope they can get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sappa wrote: »
    Has Phil Collins been confirmed yet for the welcoming concert,a lot of buzz going round and I hope they can get him.

Well judging by the weather forecast it'll be more like Marti Pellow and wet, wet, wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

On another note does anybody know if the air show will be on? In the website it has a programme of events and says red arrows in salthill on the Sunday?

It was mentioned earlier in this topic (or this forum, at least) that they had cancelled, unfortunately, due to other obligations in the UK. It's also been in the news here. Unless they have found a way around it? But I doubt it.

I also don't see them mentioned in the latest event schedule on the website, where did you see it mentioned? Maybe I looked in the wrong place.

There will be an Irish air corps demonstration but I doubt it will be as exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

mikom wrote: »
    Well judging by the weather forecast it'll be more like Marti Pellow and wet, wet, wet.
    Time to get the sailing gear out.
    Nothing better than sailing gear for wet conditions.

Be gwand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

There will be an Irish air corps demonstration but I doubt it will be as exciting.

They mentioned similar display to Bray Airshow, I saw the Air Corps display there and exciting it is not, four planes do a few flyovers and a break. nothing can beat the Red Arrows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭squonk

Sappa wrote: »

Did you not see Yeehaw saying there's a whole Genesis reunion going on? Seeing as Peter Gabriel will be around they thought it'd be a shame not to so the other lads who left are arriving soon as well.

There's a huge surprise double bill free gig for the closing ceremony too. No details as yet but word on the street is that it's Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson!

Fair play to Yeehaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

squonk wrote: »
    Did you not see Yeehaw saying there's a whole Genesis reunion going on? Seeing as Peter Gabriel will be around they thought it'd be a shame not to so the other lads who left are arriving soon as well.

There's a huge surprise double bill free gig for the closing ceremony too. No details as yet but word on the street is that it's Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson!

Fair play to Yeehaw!

Thank God.
    I thought we'd be stuck with U2 or Bruce Springsteen, or some other nobody has beens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Looks like the Atlantic Monsoon is with us... plenty of 'grand soft days' to come. :(

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

(hit '< Anim >' for the next 7 days and 'Suite' '< Anim >' for the following 7 days.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looks like the Atlantic Monsoon is with us... plenty of 'grand soft days' to come. :(

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

(hit '< Anim >' for the next 7 days and 'Suite' '< Anim >' for the following 7 days.)

That does not look good 14 days of rain there, hopefully it wont happen :mad::mad:

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That does not look good 14 days of rain there, hopefully it wont happen :mad::mad:

Those weather forecasts are fairly accurate to +/- 5 days... the only hope is that the low systems track about 100 miles further north next week. We would have reasonable weather then for the Volvo week.

On the bright side... there appears to be a break in the weather for the arrival of the boats on the 3rd of July

The boats should be appearing in the bay on this day (Tuesday) next week.

They seem to be looking forward to it... hope the pubs are well stocked up !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

The boats should be appearing in the bay on this day (Tuesday) next week.

They seem to be looking forward to it... hope the pubs are well stocked up !

;)
    They are stocked up and the hotels have jacked their rates as a sign of good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Few more pics from yesterday posted on my blog, more to come soon!

DSCF5268.JPG

DSCF5279.JPG

more on http://cillianfox.blogspot.ie

Also, according to met.ie

"Sunday : At this stage, it looks as if a band of heavy showers will cross the country, from the northwest in the morning or early afternoon, with the prospect of much brighter weather developing thereafter, with better sunshine and very few showers. Winds moderate to fresh northwesterly. Temperatures still below normal - ranging just 13 to 16 C."

.....dont loose all hope guys!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Was goning to post a new thread but no point once I found this.

Recently, whats been bugging me is the whole idea of 'volunteering' for the Volvo Ocean Race. I saw today on FB that some the reserves guys were pictured vounteering, there have been many emails sent out to NUIG students to volunteer for it.

The thing that is bothering me is, why are they getting people to volunteer for a purely commercial event/'festival'?

Everyone will be making bucket loads through these, obviously except for the volunteers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Recently, whats been bugging me is the whole idea of 'volunteering' for the Volvo Ocean Race. I saw today on FB that some the reserves guys were pictured vounteering, there have been many emails sent out to NUIG students to volunteer for it.

The thing that is bothering me is, why are they getting people to volunteer for a purely commercial event/'festival'?

Yeah, I'm kinda with you on that.

Except that for students etc wanting to get into event or arts management, having experience on an event like that can be good on the CV.

And in fact Mr justMary has volunteered for it. His argument:
    • He's self-employed and expects to be quiet during the festival - people will be partying not getting jobs done.
    • It's good craic to be involved, and you sometimes meet useful people and get the inside story on stuff (he's done it for the Arts Festival before)
    • He's put himself as available for night time shifts, so is available in the daytime for paying jobs that come up.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea - unless I was unemployed and bored, or needed to get some experience on my CV.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kinda with you on that.

Except that for students etc wanting to get into event or arts management, having experience on an event like that can be good on the CV.

And in fact Mr justMary has volunteered for it. His argument:
    • He's self-employed and expects to be quiet during the festival - people will be partying not getting jobs done.
    • It's good craic to be involved, and you sometimes meet useful people and get the inside story on stuff (he's done it for the Arts Festival before)
    • He's put himself as available for night time shifts, so is available in the daytime for paying jobs that come up.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea - unless I was unemployed and bored, or needed to get some experience on my CV.

The annoying thing is, for basically every other event that the college is involved in, they will pay students to work for them, like Open days. But not for this.

Somehow I doubt any NUIG reps that will be at their stand for the volvo will be unpaid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Was goning to post a new thread but no point once I found this.

There haven't been any, let alone many, emails sent out to students of NUIG asking them to volunteer; certainly not in a general call to all students sense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, someone clearly hasn't been reading their weekly SU emails :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Apologies to barry181091 I stand corrected.

As Ficheall rightly suggested someone wasn't reading their SU emails! :o

It's okay edge :P

Usually these kind of things don't bother me, i'm usually like "Pfft, don't care :p" but once I saw that picture with the army guys volunteering, it really was annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's the scéal with all the South African flags on the Newcastle Road/University Road junction?

Big Wheel on Nimmos Pier
    DSCF5353.JPG

Huge 3D Cinema
    DSCF5359.JPG

Abu Dhabi truck
    DSCF5365.JPG

As usual, more pics to come, and more can be seen on my blog :)

http://cillianfox.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SantaRita

First post!! Your update photos are great Foxy. Really excited about the Volvo Ocean Race and the the buzz it's already creating around town. Noticed today that the Council saw fit to put double yellow lines on the road at the back of the aquarium wondering will their next move be to put Pay and Display at both carparks in Salthill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

No discrimination I see........

DSCF5365.JPG

• Advertisement

No discrimination I see........

I knew someone would spot it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement