Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fiscal Compact Referendum 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's the right decision to allow the referendum, but I'd have to do more research to decide which way I'd vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There goes all possibility of any meaningful or rational discourse down the drain. I expect this to be an absolute farce of epic proportions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How long before someone suggests if we vote "yes" to the Fiscal Compact Referendum that abortion will be made compulsory?

I think I'll just vote the opposite to people/groups I don't like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    I'll just vote the opposite to people/groups I don't like.
    Same tactics as the no-side, eh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    Same tactics as the no-side, eh?
    Yes, but they're wrong. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sigh, gonna be some cluster****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Is there an atheist perspective on this? Can't really see how whether you are a believer in an all powerful deity or not will effect how you vote on this, or what your views will be.

fisgon wrote: »
    Is there an atheist perspective on this? Can't really see how whether you are a believer in an all powerful deity or not will effect how you vote on this, or what your views will be.

The regulars round these parts tend to be rational and less swayed by emotional chagrin and irrelevant political strawmen.

fisgon wrote: »
    Can't really see how whether you are a believer in an all powerful deity or not will effect how you vote on this
    http://www.coircampaign.org/index.php/news-articles/recent-news/329-budget-lashes-families-and-the-vulnerable-in-eu-takeover-of-irish-economy-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Uck. Last time I was against Lisbon (twice) and was so sick of the company I was in. Here's hoping this one's a lot better or failing that, the crazies end up on the yes side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

robindch wrote: »

Actually this website is fascinating, and laugh-out-loud hilarious in parts. Have a look at this page, and especially at the comments.

http://www.coircampaign.org/index.php/about-coir-camp/who-we-are

..I can't work our if they are people from this forum taking the piss or are actually real...

"Fair play to you for campaignin against this Godless treaty, They just want to take away our Holy God and replace Him with science. That too and the Fact that the Godless treaty will lead us to being swamped with asylum seakers and foreigners from Africa is this what Pearse gave his life for I ask you?"

Another one, .....

"Interesting website, very professional..........however do we have to use words such as 'Erected' on our About Us page"

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Dades wrote: »
    How long before someone suggests if we vote "yes" to the Fiscal Compact Referendum that abortion will be made compulsory?

I think I'll just vote the opposite to people/groups I don't like.

how long before the yes side say this will get us jobs and growth and confidence, well they already have. :/

is this the depth of detail they'll be going into again? :/

are yous going to try and justify a yes vote by hi-lighting some of the no voters/campaigns? pretty poor

is this the depth of detail they'll be going into again?
    Quite likely, since it's substantially deeper than most of the no-side ever reached.

I can smell the Inception meme coming into this thread. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭swampgas

This referendum will be a real test of how far the people of this country actually understand the mess we are in. I don't think they do, to be honest.

I expect lots of people to think purely along idiotic short-term and self-centered lines. I.e. if the government want them to vote yes, then "they will need something in return".

This will be everything from re-opening the Vatican embassy to scrapping water charges and septic tank inspections to ... well, I'll just have to wait and see. I don't expect to be pleasantly surprised though.

Referendums in this country really test my faith in democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

swampgas wrote: »
    This referendum will be a real test of how far the people of this country actually understand the mess we are in. I don't think they do, to be honest.

I expect lots of people to think purely along idiotic short-term and self-centered lines. I.e. if the government want them to vote yes, then "they will need something in return".

This will be everything from re-opening the Vatican embassy to scrapping water charges and septic tank inspections to ... well, I'll just have to wait and see. I don't expect to be pleasantly surprised though.

Referendums in this country really test my faith in democracy.

Indeed. You only need to look at California to see where actual democracy gets you.

Personally, technocracy, as I understand it, is my preference.

Like our current system but the people running the country have to be qualified at something useful rather than being career liars.

Anyone read the AHs thread yet? I'll put you out of your misery right now.
    282-mother-of-god.jpg

DON'T READ IT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jernal wrote: »
    Anyone read the AHs thread yet? I'll put you out of your misery right now.
    282-mother-of-god.jpg

DON'T READ IT!!

I've decided to stay away. I don't care anymore what happens and I'm not going to get wound up about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Jernal wrote: »
    The regulars round these parts tend to be rational and less swayed by emotional chagrin and irrelevant political strawmen.
    my toes will take several hours to uncurl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Uck. Last time I was against Lisbon (twice) and was so sick of the company I was in. Here's hoping this one's a lot better or failing that, the crazies end up on the yes side.

:D I feel your pain Shooter. Nothing worse than taking a stance on an issue and then looking around you and seeing a bunch of foam mouthed lunatics arguing on the same side as you.

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    :D I feel your pain Shooter. Nothing worse than taking a stance on an issue and then looking around you and seeing a bunch of foam mouthed lunatics arguing on the same side as you.

It was quite soul destroying (aside from the fact that you can't really destroy an imaginary object). Worse is thinking you lose respect of peers whose opinion you nearly always agree with.
    Anywho whichever side I end up I know one thing for sure, those f'n posters with their stupid slogans will surely push my blood pressure up again (just thinking of the ones from both sides last time is causing my eye to twitch).

Here's what Abie Philbin Bowman had to say about ructions in FF:

Great to see Fianna Fail marking the 90th Anniversary of the Civil War by splitting into two factions. A Pro-Treaty side, led by a Corkman called Micheal, and an Anti-Treaty Side led by a tall guy, with glasses, called Eamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It was quite soul destroying (aside from the fact that you can't really destroy an imaginary object). Worse is thinking you lose respect of peers whose opinion you nearly always agree with.
    Anywho whichever side I end up I know one thing for sure, those f'n posters with their stupid slogans will surely push my blood pressure up again (just thinking of the ones from both sides last time is causing my eye to twitch).

I kind of went the opposite direction. I looked at those on the anti-treaty side (and I did at least skim over the treaty to be fair) and figured.. there's no possible way they're right.
    In hindsight it probably wasn't the best way to come to a decision but at least I was sortof informed.

Of course the problem is that one line of reasoning that the anti-treaty side put forward was that if you weren't sure you should vote no. That of course is horse****. If you're not sure enough to make a proper decision, you shouldn't vote at all.

So now.. here we find ourselves a few years later. Does anyone here know of somewhere unbiased I can get information about this referendum and not government spin or no-vote hysteria?
    I'd put more trust in this forum than pretty much anywhere else when it comes to dispassionate rational advice.

Gbear wrote: »
    I kind of went the opposite direction. I looked at those on the anti-treaty side (and I did at least skim over the treaty to be fair) and figured.. there's no possible way they're right.
    In hindsight it probably wasn't the best way to come to a decision but at least I was sortof informed.

Of course the problem is that one line of reasoning that the anti-treaty side put forward was that if you weren't sure you should vote no. That of course is horse****. If you're not sure enough to make a proper decision, you shouldn't vote at all.

So now.. here we find ourselves a few years later. Does anyone here know of somewhere unbiased I can get information about this referendum and not government spin or no-vote hysteria?
    I'd put more trust in this forum than pretty much anywhere else when it comes to dispassionate rational advice.

Read Scofflaw's posts in the politics forums. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Here's one I thought summed up the no side quite well. See in Herbert Park during the first referendum. Note the ad for the lost cat lower down the pole.

194857.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I can't wait to see what kind of loony bullsh*t the likes of Cóir end up putting on their no posters this time. A vote for yes will likely be funding pope assassins and allowing those European fatcats to build a multistory abortionplex in your own back yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

how long before the yes side say this will get us jobs and growth and confidence, well they already have. :/

Don't forget "stability" along with the jobs and growth.

An interesting question is why do neither side just say what the proposal is, and then let the people just vote on that. The answer, I suspect, is that the sheeple have been conditioned to having "truth" interpreted for them, and the politicians stick to the same approach as the clerics.

BTW for those who don't know yet, the proposal is for a debt brake to be enshrined in law. It's a similar idea to having a defined credit limit on your personal credit card. The Germans, being one step ahead of the game as usual, already have one enshrined in their constitution, and if we're all going to be sharing the same credit card (ie the euro currency), they reckon we should all abide by the same kind of credit limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

recedite wrote: »
    Don't forget "stability" along with the jobs and growth.

An interesting question is why do neither side just say what the proposal is, and then let the people just vote on that. The answer, I suspect, is that the sheeple have been conditioned to having "truth" interpreted for them, and the politicians stick to the same approach as the clerics.

BTW for those who don't know yet, the proposal is for a debt brake to be enshrined in law. It's a similar idea to having a defined credit limit on your personal credit card. The Germans, being one step ahead of the game as usual, already have one enshrined in their constitution, and if we're all going to be sharing the same credit card (ie the euro currency), they reckon we should all abide by the same kind of credit limit.
    As far as I can see, that's the whole idea. Limit each government to making no more than a 3% budget deficit in any given year, and limit the maximum total national debt to 60% of annual income, with fines for countries who fail and are reported as failing (room for politicing, added by France).

I need to read more, but for me at the moment it boils down to: do I still believe in Keynesian economics (which this would all but prevent, not that governments do the whole damping the boom bit anyway)?

For once, I strongly suspect I'm voting yes.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

yes-to-jobs-poster.jpg

Can we not just ban posters?! Anyone that votes for a slogan shouldn't be allowed vote.

*Eye in mega twitch mode*

Advertisement