Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your diet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Did anyone hear about the new law that restaurants have to show the kcals on all items on their menus?

Was in a restaurant today and saw it for the first time, apple crumble 850kcals! Real eye opener. So I went for the salad ha

Which restaurant was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Which restaurant was that?

Why do you ask?

Stalker alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I haven't had a carb since 2004.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gurramok wrote: »
    What do ye guys have for lunch? (if bread is ruled out)

meat & veg
    Its so nice though that's the problem, I have cut out a lot of the bread from my diet as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and I crave it. I still eat a sandwich for lunch a few days a week or Id go insane.

once you break it for a couple weeks you'll lose the taste for it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

yupyup7up wrote: »
    I haven't had a carb ride since 2004.

FYP ;)

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Why do you ask?

Stalker alert

Because I didnt think that the law had been introduced properly yet and I am interested to know which restaurants do this. Try to eat as healthy as possible and would be helpful to go to a restaurant that displays this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Because I didnt think that the law had been introduced properly yet and I am interested to know which restaurants do this. Try to eat as healthy as possible and would be helpful to go to a restaurant that displays this.

Oh ok, Bay in Clontarf. I think it's a great idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

how? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

kfallon wrote: »
    FYP ;)

:p
    Jesus I'm not that bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-HmEGCib4#t=0m34s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

bluewolf wrote: »
    meat & veg

For work?!

For example what meat & veg package would you make to bring as a packed lunch to work? Most lunches use some form of bread hence the question.

• --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    That's because neuro-peptides in wheat acts as opioids in the brain. So you are actually addicted to it. A couple of weeks without bread and you won't miss it anymore (I don't)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    meat & veg

once you break it for a couple weeks you'll lose the taste for it

To be honest I don't really want to cut it out completely, just cut it down even like now I have a wrap or single sandwich (2 slices) 3 times a week, where as before I would have 2 sandwiches (4 slices) and a few slices of soda bread for breakfast every day and loads of bread with a grill (saus, rashers etc) every Saturday and Sunday morning. I still have the grill (sat and sun) but much less bread with it.

Same for Pasta and potatoes, I have almost completely cut them now except for some on weekends as I often go home so eat whatever is prepared. However when I get to a weight I am happy with I want to re-introduce them, obviously in smaller quantities than before, I used to eat a very large serving of pasta 2 or 3 times a week for instance.

The one other thing is I cut out the fizzy drinks which I think is making a big difference, I would have a can of coke nearly every day before but not anymore, the one thing I didn't/don't want to have to cut out is the pints and so far I am losing weight so I'm happy enough.

For work?!

For example what meat & veg package would you make to bring as a packed lunch to work? Most lunches use some form of bread hence the question.

I usually have either corn flakes or weetabix for me lunch!

For work?!

cook some chicken the night before or bring a tin of tuna. If you don't like reheating veggies, buy one of those microwave in the bag jobbies from a supermarket.

The other day i brought in a steak and bought a salad bowl from Marks & Spencers. just put a tiny bit of Dijon mustard and mixed it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    That's because neuro-peptides in wheat acts as opioids in the brain. So you are actually addicted to it. A couple of weeks without bread and you won't miss it anymore (I don't)

I heard the same sort of thing about dairy when I stopped eating that. I suppose anything that we like can be addictive in some way. Even certain behaviour can have biochemical effects.

For breakfast, I normally have porridge with a bit of banana or berries and some seeds if I have any, along with a glass of fruit juice. When I've more time and I feel indulgent I might have veggie sausages/scrambled tofu with baked beans/tomatoes/mushrooms and toast/homemade hash brown.

I eat the same things for lunch as I do dinner (on different days of course): tofu stir fry, lentil or chickpea curry/tagine, soya mince burger, bean burritos (probably my personal favourite). I tend to make everything from scratch where possible.

Snacks are usually carb-heavy, like baked wedges, some hummus with pita bread or a bagel. The least healthy part of my diet is probably the excess amount of pepsi I drink, though I do go through phases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

For work?!

oh, i get it at the work canteen
    it's about 3-4 euro for a "dinner"

if i bring in my own lunch, i make something like a chicken & veg stirfry and either eat it cold or heat it up in the microwave here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Highly unlikely tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Big bowl of museli for breakfast.
    Chicken fillet roll, bag crisps, can coke for lunch.
    Mate spuds and two veg for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

VagnerLove wrote: »
    how healthy is your diet? how often do you eat bad foods (chocolate etc)?

I find it really hard to eat early in the morning, more often than not even the smell of food would make me want to throw up. I don't have a want for chocolate, sweets, cakes, ice-cream or any of that shyte. I don't like to use the word 'diet' as it sounds restrictive, the way I eat isn't restrictive to me at all, and I eat quite healthily. Wine is my only vice.

Abi wrote: »
    I find it really hard to eat early in the morning, more often than not even the smell of food would make me want to throw up. I don't have a want for chocolate, sweets, cakes, ice-cream or any of that shyte. I don't like to use the word 'diet' as it sounds restrictive, the way I eat isn't restrictive to me at all, and I eat quite healthily. Wine is my only vice.

For years I would wait until lunchtime then dump a big load of food on my stomach and ending up all sleepy in the afternoon. In the last month I've been having a bowl of museli every morning and definitely feel the better for it. Have also lost a little bit of weight without changing any other aspects of my diet / exercise as the metabolism kick in to gear a lot earlier in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    For years I would wait until lunchtime then dump a big load of food on my stomach and ending up all sleepy in the afternoon. In the last month I've been having a bowl of museli every morning and definitely feel the better for it. Have also lost a little bit of weight without changing any other aspects of my diet / exercise as the metabolism kick in to gear a lot earlier in the day.

Fair enough if it works for you, but that stuff about metabolism kicking in earlier is bollox

For years I would wait until lunchtime then dump a big load.

Same as meself trout, same as meself! :p

I hate when people say to me, "Oh are you still on that diet?" :rolleyes: No, I never was, I've just completely changed my eating and drinking habits, this isn't some fad that's over in a month, I plan on staying like this for a long time!

And I have such a sweet tooth but I have now got into the mindset that if I have a bar of chocolate I end up feeling guilty for a couple of days! Harsh but it works!

kfallon wrote: »
    Same as meself trout, same as meself! :p

I hate when people say to me, "Oh are you still on that diet?" :rolleyes: No, I never was, I've just completely changed my eating and drinking habits, this isn't some fad that's over in a month, I plan on staying like this for a long time!

And I have such a sweet tooth but I have now got into the mindset that if I have a bar of chocolate I end up feeling guilty for a couple of days! Harsh but it works!

Thankfully I could go from one end of the year to the other without eating choc or ice cream. Rarely snack between meals either.

Could do with cutting out the crisps and 40 pints a week though! :eek:

Thankfully I could go from one end of the year to the other without eating choc or ice cream. Rarely snack between meals either.

Could do with cutting out the crisps and 40 pints a week though! :eek:

I use M&S low fat Choc Mousse as my substitute for 'hardcore' chocolate :p Still find it hard to go into a shop and not even look at the chocolate bars on offer! Fond of me Wham bars too :rolleyes:

I just save all me drinking til Saturday and go out and get locked, tis a nice release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I wouldn't be starving or anything, so I don't binge eat when I do get a hunger pang :)

Abi wrote: »
    I wouldn't be starving or anything, so I don't binge eat when I do get a hunger pang :)

I know a few posters on another forum who don't eat breakfast. They basically eat in a 9 hour window and thats all. Very easy to get use to not eating breakfast and have no hunger pangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I know a few posters on another forum who don't eat breakfast. They basically eat in a 9 hour window and thats all. Very easy to get use to not eating breakfast and have no hunger pangs.

It's called Intermittent Fasting (bit of a long read that) and has many benefits

I don't eat much myself tbh, was never a breakfast person. Usually only have a couple of breakfast bars between 9am and 2.30pm.

Do most of my eating between 6pm and 10pm if I'm not out playing football. Usually starving by the time I get home from football!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I mostly eat ryvita, cream cheese, quorn, noodles, green beans, sweet potato, carrot, eggs, half sized brown bread and pesto

I try to get breakfast but sometimes its just a coffee :(
    I like having scrambled egg with a slice of toast,
    then il have a banana for a snack,
    something I cooked the night before for lunch or rye and cheese, or a quorn sausage with ketchup bread
    snack bit of left over lunch or little bit of cereal in a tub
    dinner I'll have either noodles or quorn, pesto and lots of veg.

I'm pretty boring. If I'm at someone elses house I get very used to eating bigger amounts (because they have set meal times and I can pick and graze every few hours) and I'l end up eating a lot more simple carbs which make me crash and generally foods that make me hungry quickly and give me cravings.
    My bad habits are leaving dinner too late and not eating enough because I'm on the go all the time and getting fatigue or eating too much once or twice a week because ive been depriving myself (unintentionally) too much, I need to get better at planning, buying enough food and brining it with me as I hate ending up having to get crisps, over priced fruit. bakery stuff or cereal bars on the go

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It's called Intermittent Fasting (bit of a long read that) and has many benefits

yep thats it. They follow the leangains.com approach. Only issue is if you train in the AM so will probably have to supplement BCAA/EAAs.

They taste like nail vanish remover :(

Advertisement