Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[FEEDBACK] any suggestions on how to improve the forum? post them here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭abm

think people posting FOR SALE / FOR TRADE etc....
    should have to post pics of the item or not to post it at all as unfair to people who are interested. as it wastes a post by asking for pics as everyone wants / needs to see the item before considering interest.
    cheers 4 listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

abm wrote: »
    think people posting FOR SALE / FOR TRADE etc....
    should have to post pics of the item or not to post it at all as unfair to people who are interested. as it wastes a post by asking for pics as everyone wants / needs to see the item before considering interest.
    cheers 4 listening :)

no because sometimes people have no way pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I'm just wondering is it possible to have an age rating or something similiar. I know this isn't the done thing on internet forums with regard to childrens safety and that. Problem is that you dont know the age of the person you are dealing with and i think alot of the issues of late with regards transactions and dealings here are from younger posters who don't realise the significance of agreeing to a deal on here. I know it may not be viable but is only a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

I'm just wondering is it possible to have an age rating or something similiar. I know this isn't the done thing on internet forums with regard to childrens safety and that. Problem is that you dont know the age of the person you are dealing with and i think alot of the issues of late with regards transactions and dealings here are from younger posters who don't realise the significance of agreeing to a deal on here. I know it may not be viable but is only a suggestion.

There's no real rules set in place for this. However the Op/seller can state in the ad that over XYZ only as the mod team cant enforce this as people will/can lie regarding their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

people that put up items for trade should specify, even somewhat, what they are interested in or looking for.
    as just putting an item up for trade, and waiting to see what is offered is alot like auctioneering, which is banned for cash sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭kevlarman1

to be able to edit your ad to keep your ad updated
    48 hours to edit is way to short,
    may need to price drop etc
    if you have multiple items in you ad, you need to keep the boardies updated on whats sold etc,
    saves hours of answering if its is or isnt for sale
    this would be a great idea
    plus it would save time for mods, and posters as they wont have to answer/send a mail asking if they could
    change the ad
    kind of like adverts, where i can always edit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kevlarman1 wrote: »
    to be able to edit your ad to keep your ad updated
    48 hours to edit is way to short,
    may need to price drop etc
    if you have multiple items in you ad, you need to keep the boardies updated on whats sold etc,
    saves hours of answering if its is or isnt for sale
    this would be a great idea
    plus it would save time for mods, and posters as they wont have to answer/send a mail asking if they could
    change the ad
    kind of like adverts, where i can always edit.
    That's a sitewide setting for boards.ie, nothing we can do there I'm afraid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭AGB_Ghost

I think it should be against the charter to post a link to the sellers item in retail form, I know it can be considered thread spoiling but I think people should let known that its not allowed.

heres an example:

Seller is selling an CA M16 for 220

Person posts a link to a CA M16 for 190 in a retail shop and asks that the price should be reduced to that retail price just because the shop is selling it for that price.

this can cause a loss of interest in the thread, and the reason for the price in retail may be less can be a number of reasons like a sale or a clearout but should not affect the sellers asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    I think it should be against the charter to post a link to the sellers item in retail form, I know it can be considered thread spoiling but I think people should let known that its not allowed.

heres an example:

Seller is selling an CA M16 for 220

Person posts a link to a CA M16 for 190 in a retail shop and asks that the price should be reduced to that retail price just because the shop is selling it for that price.

this can cause a loss of interest in the thread, and the reason for the price in retail may be less can be a number of reasons like a sale or a clearout but should not affect the sellers asking price.

I sort-of agree withtis in terms of linking to the likes of ehobby ebairsoft or redwolf etc but if you can show a cheaper price in Ireland i think its fair besides unless it is still wraped in its plastic and foam your hardly ever going to get asking for the gun. UNLESS of course the gun has had a major internal over haul with better quality kit that the original internals

F.U.B.A.R wrote: »
    I sort-of agree withtis in terms of linking to the likes of ehobby ebairsoft or redwolf etc but if you can show a cheaper price in Ireland i think its fair besides unless it is still wraped in its plastic and foam your hardly ever going to get asking for the gun. UNLESS of course the gun has had a major internal over haul with better quality kit that the original internals

Well for example

Seller sells for 200

Retail shop has a christmas sale, sells the same AEG for 160, that shouldnt affect the sellers price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Well for example

Seller sells for 200

Retail shop has a christmas sale, sells the same AEG for 160, that shouldnt affect the sellers price

True, but if a seller is selling for 250 and a gun regularly retails for 150 (just an example) then I don't think it'd be completely unethical to post a link to the same gun

J.D.R wrote: »
    True, but if a seller is selling for 250 and a gun regularly retails for 150 (just an example) then I don't think it'd be completely unethical to post a link to the same gun

Thats true, but if the price range is only 20-40 euro in difference then it shoudlnt be necessary, it would be if the gun was retailing at 200 and people were selling for 300-400

Thats true, but if the price range is only 20-40 euro in difference then it shoudlnt be necessary, it would be if the gun was retailing at 200 and people were selling for 300-400

See, thing is, if I buy an AEG in a shop I get a brand new product, not to mention warranty etc, so a stock second hand AEG should never be anywhere close to to the price of a new gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Any item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay but I see no problem in any seller advertising a product at whatever price they want. I try to live by the old adage Caveat Emptor, if a buyer pays over the odds for a product that's their problem. I appreciate we are trying to foster a community spirit here on boards but if someone can't be bothered to find out what the actual market value for an item is then it's hardly the sellers fault, I see it on eBay all the time where buyers pay way more than RRP for readily available items. Following on from that, I would see it as bad form to post a link to the item offer for sale on someone else's thread. I have no problem with anyone sending a PM to the seller or potential buyer to point out that an item is available elsewhere but I don't think it should be allowed on-thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Current policy on adverts.ie is to ask people to report posts or pm a mod with a link to where something is available cheaper (retail or not).
    We then check it out and if the link is valid and represents the same item, same spec, and the price is valid for a punter in Ireland (taxes delivery etc) then a mod will post it on thread. This saves rows and gives anonymity to those wishing to point out the rip-off merchants. :)

Worth a shot here?

Steve wrote: »
    Current policy on adverts.ie is to ask people to report posts or pm a mod with a link to where something is available cheaper (retail or not).
    We then check it out and if the link is valid and represents the same item, same spec, and the price is valid for a punter in Ireland (taxes delivery etc) then a mod will post it on thread. This saves rows and gives anonymity to those wishing to point out the rip-off merchants. :)

Worth a shot here?

I'd say definitely worth a shot

J.D.R wrote: »
    I'd say definitely worth a shot

ditto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭BARRETT.50BMG

Being anonomous seems to be the name of the game around here, this got me thinking, why cant a rule be made that all users post a photograph of themselves? Or a link to a facebook account? Or both? If your dealing with the person Face to Face and the photos dont match, simply report them for it! Its the same few people taking the piss around here with regards to adverts and honesty.

Being anonomous seems to be the name of the game around here, this got me thinking, why cant a rule be made that all users post a photograph of themselves? Or a link to a facebook account? Or both? If your dealing with the person Face to Face and the photos dont match, simply report them for it! Its the same few people taking the piss around here with regards to adverts and honesty.

Facebook is dangerous enough without being shared or linked to other websites
    I shared my profile in my personal details and within a day of this i was hacked
    and its the first time ive ever been hacked in the 2 years ive had the account
    so iam going to have to disagree with this.

Also thats what the user feedback thread is for if theres no mention of them
    either in a good or bad way then I would be weary

Thats why you should put a different password on every site you use.

There are a few users on here who have ripped a lot of people off, selling broken guns etc. They should be named and shamed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Sealcon

I don't like that idea, I mean I don have facebbok does that mean I can't sell here, also I was always told never share personal details online, I presume a picture qualifies for that

Thats why you should put a different password on every site you use.

There are a few users on here who have ripped a lot of people off, selling broken guns etc. They should be named and shamed.

Want to see what we all look like, go to the review section and there is a thread with pictures of most of us, Im not there but to be honest Im busy shooting Tango`s than shooting for Xpose

Otherwise no, there is no need to see what we look like, being anonymous is actually keeping us safe, there are no reasons to show our appearance

Well a couple of users on here sealcon, including your ''Brother'' Villafan have bad reputations on here. I can understand why you would'nt want to have his picture up.

If you dont have a facebook, if your selling here most people require a photo for what your buying. I cant understand why it isnt already in practice, you could be buying from any yahoo. If this was in operation the gun that was sold here that was stolen from MIA probably wouldnt have wound up being sold here.

Well a couple of users on here sealcon, including your ''Brother'' Villafan have bad reputations on here. I can understand why you would'nt want to have his picture up.

If you dont have a facebook, if your selling here most people require a photo for what your buying. I cant understand why it isnt already in practice, you could be buying from any yahoo. If this was in operation the gun that was sold here that was stolen from MIA probably wouldnt have wound up being sold here.

?

?
    Agree, what's that based on BARRETT.50BMG????

there are only a tiny ways in which we can stop stuff like this, its hard to tell if a gun is stolen or not, and I dont know why your bringing Villafan into this as an example regardless of what he did using someone as an example of a bad user is just plain rude, anyway No I dont feel comfortable posting a picture of myself here, to be honest I have a few self esteem issues and being forced to put a picture of myself up wont really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

I like being anonymous and would object to having to post a photo of myself, but then again I am an old git and very set in my ways plus I don’t do face book

One thing I don’t like of late is the number of people “Selling for a friend”
    My problem is in the event of the item being non-working/broken/sub-par then who does the buyer complain to ????
    The person who placed the add can say its not my responsibility its my friend but he is unknown and the Mods cannot even sanction him as he does not exist on boards, so where does the buck stop

DeBurca wrote: »
    The person who placed the add can say its not my responsibility its my friend but he is unknown and the Mods cannot even sanction him as he does not exist on boards, so where does the buck stop
    The buck stops with whoever placed the ad. I don't care if they were selling it for their aunties goat, you are responsible for your own account end of story.
    This is something that I hope restricting access here will solve as per the thread in the main forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215200
    The question was asked what was my statement based answer is here. As for it being rude to use another user as a bad example, said user is a notorious cheat and liar from what I can make out. I find it more rude that people think people like this should be protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

Probably already mentioned but, any chance we could split the adverts section into something similar to the following:

1. Airsoft Guns -
    a) For Sale
    b) Wanted
    2. Airsoft Gear & Kit - (Talking Vests, pouches etc)
    a) For Sale
    b) Wanted
    3. Airsoft Accessories - (Torches, Sights, Foregrips etc)
    a) For Sale
    b) Wanted

Advertisement