Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Horizon - WiFi issue with 2 iPhones

• 07-02-2014 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

We've had a Horizon box for about 9 months. We've had intermittent problems with WiFi access; most have resolved themselves but one problem persists.

The problem is that iPhones (or at least our 2 iPhone 5 s) will connect to the WiFi OK but will then often lose internet access after about 1 minute. The WiFi icon still appears but Safari reports "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding". Turning the iPhone's WiFi off and on will restore Internet access for about another minute before losing it.

We've noticed that the issue seems to only occur when both iPhones are in the house: when there's only the one, it seems to work fine. The problem can affect either phone, we can't see a pattern.

On the suggestion of some other forums for iPhone WiFi issues, we've changed the WiFi channel, beacon interval, fragment threshold and RTS setting on the Horizon box, and tried setting up a fixed IP address on one of the iPhones. None has fixed it.

Laptops running Win 7 and Win 8 have no such problems.

Are there any restrictions on the number of devices which can connect to the Internet through Horizon? We also have a Sonos system which uses WiFi and seems to take up several IP addresses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

same problem here, changing the channel makes no difference.

UPC support will ask for your account details but can do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I had similar problems with Iphones + Lumia handset ..

Eventually UPC suggested deconsolidating the broadband from Horizon box. They shipped out new router, and it has worked fine since ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

would attaching a cable router to the horizon box also fix these problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

Thanks for your help guys!

@podgeandrodge - I did have an old WiFi router connected as originally the signal strength from the Horizon box would not reach all of the house. It's an old router, I think it's just 801.11g, so the speeds weren't great and we then found that the Horizon signal had improved so we removed it. I could buy a new one but I'd like to explore other avenues first before shelling out.

@bob11 - so you have a separate cable modem now?

@ted1 = I'm not surprised: I'm kinda dreading phoning UPC support on this, which is why I posted here first...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

D8 boy wrote: »
    Thanks for your help guys!

@podgeandrodge - I did have an old WiFi router connected as originally the signal strength from the Horizon box would not reach all of the house. It's an old router, I think it's just 801.11g, so the speeds weren't great and we then found that the Horizon signal had improved so we removed it. I could buy a new one but I'd like to explore other avenues first before shelling out.

@bob11 - so you have a separate cable modem now?

@ted1 = I'm not surprised: I'm kinda dreading phoning UPC support on this, which is why I posted here first...

Yes,
    I have a technicolor modem for broadband and phone , horizon box for TV ..

• Advertisement

Having the same issue in our house, have the horizon box since the trial but this has only started happening in the last two weeks.
    It also only affects the two iPhones and iPads in our house, laptops remain unaffected. I'm on the best channel possible, factory reset the box but no help.

The WiFi signal is not dropping just the data flow, like OP if i toggle off and on the WiFi on the iPhone it will work again for a minute or so.
    Extremely annoying and has made watching netflix impossible. At my whits end with the Horizon box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Have you powered off the box recently?

I had a similar issue with a Samsung handset. Had to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the wifi on the device (no problems elsewhere with the same device). While unplugging stuff before going on holidays I accidently unplugged the Horizon box and then plugged back in again. No problems since the restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

@Cisk, UPC suggested changing the security mode from WPA to WEP. It's less secure and they also advised that the max speed would be reduced - but it worked. I have no idea why, but we've had no problems since:-) You can change the setting yourself by going to 192.168.100.1 and selecting Wireless>Security

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

WEP is about as effective as a perforated condom. I would consider it negligent of UPC to even suggest it.

I've found that my work-issued 5S occasionally not only loses wifi connection on the Horizon box, it actually manages to take it down for every other devices too; recovering instantly when the iPhone is taken off the network. As a result its not used...

I'll test it out with WEP but i wouldn't use it long term. I'll be asking for a standalone router in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sharkie1968

I've had the same issue for a few weeks and I justed changed the following Setting on the Cisco Router, (Might be the same on the Horzon Router/Box

Go to the Wireless Section,

select QOS

In the QOS (Quality of Service)
    change NO ACK to Disable

Problem solved

Advertisement