Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT on a car already in Ireland

• 17-08-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice on how i should handle changing the plates on my UK car.
    Unfortunately I did not know I had to register the car within a week of bringing it into the country!
    I am from UK and have been bringing my car in and out the country since i bought it 5 years ago but I have been working here a while. I last brought the car through the north nearly a year ago. My job has been made permanent and I hoping to change the plates and stay. I have it registered to my home address in uk and have been taxing, MOTing and insuring. All papers are in order. I am afraid i will have other charges on top of the VRT due to my ignorance? Also I thought i could do a simple change of address exemption but i left Ireland to pursue a course of study at one point and apparently that rules me out.
    If anyone could advise I'd be very grateful.........(i'm not keen to sell my car)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you're living and working in the UK and own the car for 6 months VRT is not applicable as far as I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 postalcode

That's what originally thought Limerick Man but I was working in Ireland before returning to the uk to study.......you then can't bring a car back with you unless you pay VRT

I am quite obviously willing to pay the VRT on my car I'm just concerned I'll get in trouble for having it in the country for longer (a lot) than the 30 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

dont think you will have to pay VRT. If its been insured, taxed etc the last 5 years in the UK then it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If you're living and working in the UK and own the car for 6 months VRT is not applicable as far as I know?

True, it still goes through the same process but no charge.

Advertisement