Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar ; what's the big idear?

Options
  • 25-04-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Hi

I replaced our hw tank a couple of years ago

We have a south facing roof

Is there any solution that doesn't require a new tank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

If you want to heat the cistern in your airing cupboard, you will need a new tank. The tank will need three inputs - the heating system (gas, oil), the immersion, and the solar feeds. It also needs to be sized for your needs, and be connected to a heat spill in case it gets too hot and stagnates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Don't do it. If you are frugal with your oil burner and it can heat hot water in isolation it should only cost you <100euro for summer months.
    It will takes you decades to get back the cost of a solar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

homer911 wrote: »
    If you want to heat the cistern in your airing cupboard, you will need a new tank. The tank will need three inputs - the heating system (gas, oil), the immersion, and the solar feeds. It also needs to be sized for your needs, and be connected to a heat spill in case it gets too hot and stagnates

Ok thanks

But do I need to replace the tank in the airing cupboard that is already heated by gas burner and immersion or do I need an additional tank in the attic

My concern is space, no space for a bigger tank than the one in the airing cupboard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

homer911 wrote: »
    Surely only 2 inputs (i.e. dual coils) are required, top coil for the boiler and bottom coil for the solar? An immersion heater doesn't require a coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

http://www.willis-renewables.com/how-it-works.htm have a look at this site their solar syphon is added to the outside of an existing cylinder can be used o vented and non vented cylinders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Surely only 2 inputs (i.e. dual coils) are required, top coil for the boiler and bottom coil for the solar? An immersion heater doesn't require a coil.

Yep, I said input, not coil, both correct

Advertisement