Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Coffee in the Shopping Centre

Options
  • 21-07-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

I was just over in the shopping centre, and I fancied a coffee, the queue for Butlers was a bit too big, and then I asked myself where is the best coffee in the centre. I reckon Butlers (plus the bonus free chocolate) but where else is good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Butlers, there's a reason the line is always long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Probably going against the grain of liking something from one of the big boys but I like Costa's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ai. Butlers the only half decent place in Blanch.

Probably in D.15 actually.... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I like Butlers too. BB's tastes too bitter for me. I order an espresso in Starbucks as the Americano is so weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Probably going against the grain of liking something from one of the big boys but I like Costa's.

No I like Costa too but it's a second to Butlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Butlers. definitely. And I personally find Costa coffee too bitter.

Starbucks is quite bland but their "House Blend" is very good to buy and bring home to make it your own favourite way (it's dear, but a nice balanced blend)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

January wrote: »
    No I like Costa too but it's a second to Butlers.

Jaysus, if I make a latte at home that's as watery as Costa then I throw it down the sink. Every one I've been in boils the milk, I've tried a half dozen outlets at this stage.

Insomnia can get it right. Butlers isn't bad. Starbucks is poor (espresso is OK).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I goto Kays and get the coffee at the little coffee bar place on the left as you walk in.
    Butlers is good too.
    Starbucks I always need an extra shot or two as their coffee is bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

While it's not technically within the main SC, I was in Ground Espresso (new cafe upstairs in Next) last weekend and they did a very good Americano...very nice surroundings for relaxing and spacious/uncrowded as well...will give that a go in future when I'm over at that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Kays (the one @ first floor level) is where myself & the Mrs go for a coffee when up in the SC. Really like their coffee. Last choice would be starbucks, bland, bland, bland.... cannot believe its so popular, as coffee goes its really not that great IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

ongarboy wrote: »
    While it's not technically within the main SC, I was in Ground Espresso (new cafe upstairs in Next) last weekend and they did a very good Americano...very nice surroundings for relaxing and spacious/uncrowded as well...will give that a go in future when I'm over at that end.

Yeah that Ground Espresso place is nice, got a good flat white there, with a glass of water - nice touch.

The view over the KFC carpark is much better than I thought it would be. It's a really nice place to sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The coffee shop over in Draiocht does really nice coffee, and a damn good breakfast too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

nikpmup wrote: »
    The coffee shop over in Draiocht does really nice coffee, and a damn good breakfast too :)

Love their breakfast - their capuccino is good too,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Best coffee in the centre and in Dublin 15 in general for that matter is a newish coffee shop above next called "ground".

They have about a dozen shops mainly in Northern Ireland. Started by a family in Coleraine.

They have a house blend and a guest coffee.
    Plenty of coffee devices if you're looking to get into brewing your own and also sell their house blend which I was pretty impressed by.

Considering every other coffee shop in the area is just dreadful, yes it's true, I'm glad to have a really good option now near me.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Few things in life as predictable as the "best coffee in xyz" thread. Always the Starbucks is sh1t brigade who also have an issue with their size as a multinational alternatively there's the coffee aficionados who insist that unless you're getting your flat white from some 'independent' you're the equivalent of a philistine!

We're to lucky to have the choice we do in D15 and much of it is down to the individual palette. For what it's worth I like Butlers, Ground & Starbucks, might not be the best but it's what tastes good to me.

While I'm at it the other thread that you can set your watch by is the 'best brekkie / breakfast role / Chinese / Indian/ whatever your having yourself in D15" thread.

Rosser wrote: »
    Few things in life as predictable as the "best coffee in xyz" thread. Always the Starbucks is sh1t brigade who also have an issue with their size as a multinational alternatively there's the coffee aficionados who insist that unless you're getting your flat white from some 'independent' you're the equivalent of a philistine!

We're to lucky to have the choice we do in D15 and much of it is down to the individual palette. For what it's worth I like Butlers, Ground & Starbucks, might not be the best but it's what tastes good to me.

While I'm at it the other thread that you can set your watch by is the 'best brekkie / breakfast role / Chinese / Indian/ whatever your having yourself in D15" thread.

Starbucks, Butlers, Costa are the three chains I'm aware of in Blanch and all three are poor.

From not tamping the coffee correctly to scalding the coffee with rediculously hot water its just poor.

I'm not saying it's the worst coffee in the country because there's a lot worse but let's not kid ourselves here it's hardly he work of a trained barista which is where usually an independent or a good chain (ground is a chain) coffee shop will excel.

They care about the coffee having at least two varieties of coffees on offer.
    They'll know about the origins of the coffee, the roast, etc...

I could go on but let's just say what you like isn't necessarily the best.

Coffee is very comparable to beer or wine or whiskey when done correctly.

Good craft beer is amazing as the brewery takes pride in the ingredients, the process, small batches, etc..

Commercial beer like Bud let's say is piss served ice cold so you can't taste it.

Again if your preference is for a Starbucks or Costa that's fine but it most definitely not the best coffee in Dublin 15.

Btw there's plenty of great coffee shops in the city centre two worth checking out to try the difference like 3fe etc.. Check out the coffee section of boards to find out more.

Again not looking for an argument just trying to show differences.

Up to this point I avoided coffee shops in Dublin 15 even driving to Boss Hogs in Maynooth if I fancied not brewing at home but thankfully Ground gives me an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Tried Ground and have to say It is really good. Had a cappuccino and a flat white and both were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Starbucks, Butlers, Costa are the three chains I'm aware of in Blanch and all three are poor.

From not tamping the coffee correctly to scalding the coffee with rediculously hot water its just poor.

I'm not saying it's the worst coffee in the country because there's a lot worse but let's not kid ourselves here it's hardly he work of a trained barista which is where usually an independent or a good chain (ground is a chain) coffee shop will excel.

They care about the coffee having at least two varieties of coffees on offer.
    They'll know about the origins of the coffee, the roast, etc...

I could go on but let's just say what you like isn't necessarily the best.

Coffee is very comparable to beer or wine or whiskey when done correctly.

Good craft beer is amazing as the brewery takes pride in the ingredients, the process, small batches, etc..

Commercial beer like Bud let's say is piss served ice cold so you can't taste it.

Again if your preference is for a Starbucks or Costa that's fine but it most definitely not the best coffee in Dublin 15.

Btw there's plenty of great coffee shops in the city centre two worth checking out to try the difference like 3fe etc.. Check out the coffee section of boards to find out more.

Again not looking for an argument just trying to show differences.

Up to this point I avoided coffee shops in Dublin 15 even driving to Boss Hogs in Maynooth if I fancied not brewing at home but thankfully Ground gives me an option.

Boss Hoggs in Maynooth is back open, not the same guys, have had 2 decent cups there last week.

Staplor wrote: »
    Boss Hoggs in Maynooth is back open, not the same guys, have had 2 decent cups there last week.

I saw it had closed alright.

Glad it's reopened and even more glad to hear it's still decent.

We could do without good shops closing.

Wonder why they closed up. Maybe not doing the biz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I really like Kays on the first floor, also for their food. Must try the new place over Next. I go into the Betelnut in Draiocht sometimes but their cups are really small and their scones taste horrible.

annR wrote: »
    I really like Kays on the first floor, also for their food. Must try the new place over Next. I go into the Betelnut in Draiocht sometimes but their cups are really small and their scones taste horrible.

Kay's, really?

Youre in for a treat in Ground if you think Kay's is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If such threads are so yawn-inducing for you, why do you even contribute to them?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kay's, really?

Youre in for a treat in Ground if you think Kay's is good.

I think Kays is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

McDonalds is good. well i like it anyway and that's all that matters. I generally get Cappuccino
    at €2 per cup it's a reasonable price, but with the card system it works out at 6 cups for a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

ongarboy wrote: »
    If such threads are so yawn-inducing for you, why do you even contribute to them?? :confused:

Well of course I never said I found it "yawn inducing" I just made an observation and I then went in to make what I thought was a worthwhile contribution about the choice we have in D15...I'll run it by you first the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Well of course I never said I found it "yawn inducing" I just made an observation and I then went in to make what I thought was a worthwhile contribution about the choice we have in D15...I'll run it by you first the next time.

Your observation was basically to sneer at anyone that has tastebuds and quite rightly points out starbucks coffee is bland and are poorly made. theres a reason they lace them with syrups and flavourings to mask the taste of burnt milk.

People are more discerning about their coffee and there is nothing wrong with that nor does it mean they look down on people that dont get coffee from independents.

I actually found Murphyebass' explaination about the differences in coffee really helpful and on foot I was in Ground only this morning which was as suggested excellent.

Curious as to why Starbucks would lace for example an espresso or an Americano with syrup 'to mask the taste of burnt milk' though but clearly you know your way around a barista's workings. Also as you pointed out I might lack tastebuds so I'm not best placed to notice.

Apologies for the confusion as I genuinely wasn't sneering at anyone well at least not until I read your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

resized_jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-play-nice-with-the-other-kids-480331.jpg

Advertisement