Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MythTV - DVB-T - Saorview - Ireland

• 22-02-2014 2:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭

Greetings all,

It's my first time attempting to tune a DVB-T tuner to recieve Saorview. I should be able to tune in 690Mhz or 746Mhz - the two muxes that are local to me. So when I do a full scan (tuned) when I'm on the input screen (see attachment) I'm sure the frequency should be either one of 690000000 or 746000000 right?

But what should the values for Symbol Rate, Inversion, Modulation and FEC be? Or is there a way to find out? Google has not thrown up anything definitive so far.

FWIW I'm using a Mystique (aka DVBSky) SaTeCaBix combo DVB-T/T2 and DVB-S/S2 PCI-E card which configures as adapter 0 and adapter 1. Adapter 0 is pulling in the DVB-S/S2 FTA SAT channels just fine, so I'm pretty sure my PC hardware/software setup is good. Also I'm running MythTV 0.27 latest.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have a look at your pic ....... the frequency is in the wrong column ...... this might give you some info ...

dvb-t://frequency=690000000,inversion=2,bandwidth=8,code-rate-hp=3,code-rate-lp=0,modulation=16,transmission=2,guard=32,hierarchy=-1

Have a look at your pic ....... the frequency is in the wrong column ...... this might give you some info ...

dvb-t://frequency=690000000,inversion=2,bandwidth=8,code-rate-hp=3,code-rate-lp=0,modulation=16,transmission=2,guard=32,hierarchy=-1

dvb-t://frequency=746000000,inversion=2,bandwidth=8,code-rate-hp=3,code-rate-lp=0,modulation=16,transmission=2,guard=32,hierarchy=-1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Hi all,

It turns out this particular combo DVB-T/S/C card can be configured in two different modes. Both give you the DVB-S/S2 functionality, but depending on how you compile the driver you additionally get one of either DVB-C or DVB-T/T2 support. I had compiled for DVB-C rather than DVB-T/T2 support.

Once compiled correctly the configuration settings page in MythTV changed accordingly, and all I had to do was select U.K. in the dropdown box and presto all channels appeared as expected.

I now have a full EPG for SAT and Saorview and even Aertel works! I notice Saorview OTA programme listings do not include genre, but I can live without that.

dvb-t://frequency=746000000,inversion=2,bandwidth=8,code-rate-hp=3,code-rate-lp=0,modulation=16,transmission=2,guard=32,hierarchy=-1

Hi Johnboy1951,

Thanks for the reply. That was the pre-selected symbol rate on the settings page, even before you enter any frequency. It was just a coincidence that they were both 690. But see above, the issue was something different.

Is the card you use a T9580 ?

Does it work well in Linux?
    What kernel version is the minimum required, if any?

If you have a link to any further info I would appreciate it ;)

• Advertisement

Yes Johnboy1951.

It's the T9580 PCI-e card and it's working like a charm. It's known as Mystique or DVBSky and they are exactly the same card, originally only distinguished by the Windows software included.

Make sure you have GCC and your kernel Linux headers downloaded.

Follow the section "Howto build driver for Debian/Ubuntu/openSUSE" at http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVBSky - TO THE LETTER..EXCEPT...

Replace the line wget http://www.dvbsky.net/download/linux/media_build-bst-130806.tar.gz with wget http://www.dvbsky.net/download/linux/media_build-bst-140128.tar.gz

And obviously the line tar xf media_build-bst-130806.tar.gz becomes tar xf media_build-bst-140128.tar.gz

For the DVB-T/T2 support you'll need to run ./v4l/build_x86.sh (x86) or ./v4l/build_x64.sh (x64). (just follow the instructions where it asks you on the Wiki).

Don't run Makeconfig or anything like that, there is no need for it and will likely lead you down a false path.

If anything fails along the way you're better off deleting any directories created and start clean, as sometimes a hidden .config folder is created and will mess with subsequent installation attempts, so always start off clean!

Good luck.

Thank you for the info ;)

Just wondering ....... does the driver include only the card driver or are all the V4l drivers included and rebuilt also?
    ./v4l/build_x64.sh (x64)

Reason for asking ...... last card drivers I built were for TBS cards and their driver package included all the V4l drivers, not just the necessary drivers for the card/s.

Thanks again :)

Yes, v4l drivers are included, it creates the /v4l sub-directory under the install directory, and no they are not the latest version. I compiled using their v4l drivers and so far have had no ill-effects. I imagine you could substitute your own v4l library but I haven't tested that.

malachy47 wrote: »
    Yes, v4l drivers are included, it creates the /v4l sub-directory under the install directory, and no they are not the latest version. I compiled using their v4l drivers and so far have had no ill-effects. I imagine you could substitute your own v4l library but I haven't tested that.

Thanks for the added info ;)

It does make me wonder what *might* happen with something that depends on a newer version of one of those ...... or what might occur if the distro provides updates which overwrites them ..... something to consider only if something goes wrong I guess :)

Advertisement