Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools in D15

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Rosser wrote: »
    Not sure that's exactly the case but as I mentioned earlier we are more than happy with the school and find the standard of teaching to be excellent, our girls are doing well as are their friends.

The education is rounded with a good social / moral leaning which interests me more than the obsessive points race.

If I had any concerns I'd move them.

Yeah but for €4,200 pa for 6 years I'd expect all of that with a decent LC at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

The progression statistics for Mount Sackville are not bad at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

nicnac wrote: »
    The progression statistics for Mount Sackville are not bad at all

I agree they're not bad (above average) but they're not great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Well it's probably best you considered another school for your peace of mind, you'll just second guess your decision right through the 5 years.

I'm very comfortable that a good leaving cert will be the end product or as I already said I'd send them somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gsilver

Hi,
    I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback about this school, for Castleknock Community Collegewe are in a waiting list, we are thinking also about Blakestown Community School and Colaiste Probal Setanta. My son is 14 years old.

Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi JenStar,

We are in a same situation as you were 2 years ago, we have a chance for Luttrellstown community college, but still thinking is it the best, Coolmine Community School and Blakestown Community School have also good reputation, I will really appreciate any advice.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have you looked at their catchment policies

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

As someone who went to CCC, I'd advise against it if your child is quiet or has been bullied. There's some fantastic teachers, but the years are quite large and it can be difficult for problems to be picked up on. Add to that they have a big focus on forcing kids into ordinary level for subjects if they're on a D grade, which is probably why they get such good exam results. I'd honestly go anywhere else. I've written elsewhere in this thread about Luttrellstown CC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maryfrancis

My own personnel experience of CCC would be very different to CTYIgirl. Regarding student welfare very experienced at picking up on student issues and dealing with same. Very positive approach.
    If kids are being "forced" into ordinary level subjects can't understand how exactly the results appear to be so good.

I assume they get higher results in lower subjects than trying for a higher level?

Where do you see results?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That's exactly it. I know for this years fifth years, if they fail a summer test they have to go back in August to resit it.

I have never heard of 5th years having to resist exams , can't imagine teachers coming back early to deal with same, also is that not contradictory to what your saying. Surely the teachers would nt bother if the pupils were "forced" to do lower level !
    Results of leaving exams are produced yearly in a league tables
    In comparison to local schools CCC do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

League tables only illustrate how many pupils go to third level, not including the likes of PLCs, etc. They don't illustrate how good the results are.

I do realise that, simply means that a high percentage of pupils must be doing higher level in order to achieve third level places !
    Incidentally i don't believe the league tables are the most important part of education and role of a school.

I have never heard of 5th years having to resist exams , can't imagine teachers coming back early to deal with same, also is that not contradictory to what your saying. Surely the teachers would nt bother if the pupils were "forced" to do lower level !
    Results of leaving exams are produced yearly in a league tables
    In comparison to local schools CCC do very well.

How do the other schools compare?

I'm just telling you what I know for a fact, I have family in fifth year there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

That's true about re sitting fifth year exams in the summer in CCC... Overall experience has been very good and have always found the School to be proactive.

Like all walks of life there are very good teachers and ones that are not so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Do they provide re-sitting exams as an excuse to use up Croke Park hours?

Hi, please advise, Blakestown Community School or Luttrellstown Community College, I will appreciate, thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ewekom

Hi there, post lil outdated but always will be some people looking opinions like me. I have been offered job in city and looking for house and school for daughter going to 1st class. She was going to Gaelic school in town where we live but not necessarily we are looking for same one. My main concern is there any chance to get place in some reasonable school? we're looking to rent house in walking distance to train station, or what is the best other option for traveling to dockland area? I would like to have walking distance to school as well. any suggestions pls?

• Advertisement

Docklands train is the best option.

There's an Irish school in coolmine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

beauf wrote: »
    Docklands train is the best option.

There's an Irish school in coolmine.

Scoil Oilibhéir is excellent but highly desirable. Difficult to get into, might be worth a call or email to see if it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How about dunboyne? There is a Gael Scoil there and you're on the train line into docklands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. I will have a child starting secondary on 2018, We are in the priority catchment area for LCC and currently attend one of the listed feeder schools. Would it be safe to assume that a place would be a given?, also have the name down for Mount Sackville (a rather expensive back up plan!) so any opinions on both schools would be appreciated. Was quite impressed with MS on the open day but dont think I could justify paying fees if there's a perfectly good community school on the doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hi all. I will have a child started secondary on 2018, We are in the priority catchment area for LCC and currently attend one of the listed feeder schools. Would it be safe to assume that a place would be a given?, also have the name down for Mount Sackville (a rather expensive back up plan!) so any opinions on both schools would be appreciated. Was quite impressed with MS on the open day but dont think I could justify paying fees if there's a perfectly good community school on the doorstep.

Two excellent schools, basically down to which one you ultimately decide upon.

Factor in the iPad cost for LCC.

LCC are fantastic, they got my brother diagnosed properly with his learning disabilities that the primary school said were just laziness, and they've been great ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

saw this post about primary schools in Dublin 15.
    I live in harts town and my daughter will be going to school next year.
    I have no idea of quality of local primary schools and don't really know anyone in the area.

-Can you recommend a good primary schools? Doesn't have to be religious or not.
    - how early and how do I enroll?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CakeZilla

@Baegan Im not too sure on some of the primary schools in the area or how good they are but a few I know of are St.Philips, Sacred heart of jesus and scoil oilibheir. A lot of the primary are religious but i think they toned down a lot, also the last one is a irish school so they would be talking in irish for the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cakezilla, I've removed your other post as it contained some very serious allegations that cannot be substantiated here. Please do not post them again on this site.

Advertisement