Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying house in Fernleigh, Castleknock

Options
  • 08-07-2015 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying one of the terrace houses over in Fernleigh Close, Carpenterstown. How is the area? I have read about some noise from loud parties in some of the rented properties. We have 2 children so looking for quiet and safe place.
    What is your experience?

Thanks
    T
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I am in nearby Riverwood so do not know about Fernleigh.

Fernleigh is very close to 37 bus route (to Blanch Centre and city centre/UCD). It is about 10 min walk to Coolmine train station.
    There are 2 Spar shops nearby (Carpenterstown and Clonsilla) and Tesco isn't far.
    There is a primary school and secondary school right around the corner.
    Porterstown Park is nice to walk around and has a soccer club there too. Castleknock GAA isn't far.

Fernleigh Close is not a through road so should be quiet enough for the children to play on the road. It is the edge of the estate so probably less chance of noise from neighbours. It is facing the main road though (through tall railings).

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

I'm renting in Fernleigh Grove over 2 yeras, area is very quiet, never hear about loud parties, my daughter play with other kids outside and everything is fine. It's close to castelnock celtic pitch if you like walking/jogging. In my opinion it's good place to buy a house/apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

I lived in Fernleigh for 2 years.

Its a quiet enough area, never had any trouble.

The 37 is quite an annoying route though as it goes through Castleknock village so if you are getting it to/from the city centre it can take well over an hour.

Also, the spar isn't on your doorstep, its about 10/15 min walk (I know its not much but can get annoying if you don't drive!).

Speaking of parking, there was no designated parking in the area I was. I always managed to get a space but not always near my front door.

I would move back to Fernleigh if the bus route was better and if there was a small shop nearby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dublin21 wrote: »
    The 37 is quite an annoying route though as it goes through Castleknock village so if you are getting it to/from the city centre it can take well over an hour.

Also, the spar isn't on your doorstep, its about 10/15 min walk (I know its not much but can get annoying if you don't drive!).

Speaking of parking, there was no designated parking in the area I was. I always managed to get a space but not always near my front door.

I would move back to Fernleigh if the bus route was better and if there was a small shop nearby!

Ok accepting not everyone cycles, but...

Cycling to City Center is faster than the bus. its about 30 mins. Bit longer in the other direction.

Theres a cycle path almost the whole way to the spar. Handy for getting a few things. Though the prices in Spar are woeful. Centra in Laurel Lodge is a bit further but much better value.

The train is much faster than the bus, and only a short walk (shorter cycle).

In fact a lot of the traffic problems in and around the general D.15 area become none issues if can you cycle a tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

beauf wrote: »
    Ok accepting not everyone cycles, but...

Cycling to City Center is faster than the bus. its about 30 mins. Bit longer in the other direction.

Theres a cycle path almost the whole way to the spar. Handy for getting a few things. Though the prices in Spar are woeful. Centra in Laurel Lodge is a bit further but much better value.

The train is much faster than the bus, and only a short walk (shorter cycle).

In fact a lot of the traffic problems in and around the general D.15 area become none issues if can you cycle a tiny bit.

+1 to all of that.

We moved into Fernleigh in March and are very happy there. No issues with nose at all.

On transport, I can cycle to Abbey St in 25-30 mins and is great as it's 3-4km through the Park. The bus goes directly outside estate and while it could be more direct, it's fairly typical of most Dublin Bus routes. The train is 22 mins to Connolly I think +walk.

Carpenterstown's Spar is 1km from Fernleigh. That's a 15 min walk to there and back, the chipper, the pub and Insomnia. Very convenient suburb living relatively speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lived in Fernleigh Park, now live in Riverwood. My own thoughts:

Quite area (few rentals for sure, but that also applies to the 3 and 4 bed houses in Riverwood - it's pot look with neighbours)

Safe area for children to play - roads are deliberately designed to slow down traffic. There are a few open green areas. No playground, but one on Riverwood.

Houses are relatively well built - being timber framed, their easy to heat and relatively well insulated. If you're having a surveyor check the house over, make sure internal toilets are adequately ventilated and roof space is insulated - some weren't from memory. Also check the boiler - the model they fitted is not great.

Parking was an issue - in a 2 bed, we had no designated space, so it was pot luck where you could put your car. Larger houses some had their own off street parking.

Management fees apply - can't remember what we paid, around €500 odd per annum (could be wrong)

As others said, close to transport - No 37 bus and Maynooth - Pearse train service.

Like Beauf I cycle to town - 30 minutes to Merrion Square, can't beat that. Driving wouldn't be my thing to the city center, but the train service is frequent and reliable. Bus I would tend to avoid in rush hour, but outside rush hour about 35 - 40 minutes into city centre.

Advertisement