Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Split Charging System

• 07-01-2013 4:10am
    Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭

I Have a Goldwing motorcycle 1800cc which I intend to take to France this summer. I have enough room in the sidebox for an extra battery which I would like to use in my tent at night just for a 12v striplight and my radio.
    I intend to fit a cigeratte lighter type socket and run it into the tent. I need the main bike battery always to be full as a Goldwing does not have a kickstart !

I thought this would be the best forum to post.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

andym1 wrote: »
    I Have a Goldwing motorcycle 1800cc which I intend to take to France this summer. I have enough room in the sidebox for an extra battery which I would like to use in my tent at night just for a 12v striplight and my radio.
    I intend to fit a cigeratte lighter type socket and run it into the tent. I need the main bike battery always to be full as a Goldwing does not have a kickstart !

I thought this would be the best forum to post.
    Thanks.
    Simple as pie. Earth the negative pole as normal , link the positives thru a heavy duty relay, switched from the alternator ( battery light on the dash) signal wire. The 2nd battery will charge when the engine is running, and be separated from the main battery when the engine is off. I'd have the relays for the job. Obviously you need to fuse any positive wires etc.

Advertisement