Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Barley, WHERE IS THE OMGWACA GROUP?? Or did I just delete it by mistake:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Does anyone know when 1st years get off for Christmas Holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Does anyone know when 1st years get off for Christmas Holidays?

Same time as everyone else.... :P

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Same time as everyone else.... :P

*Note to self, work on phrasing*..

Ok, when does everyone else get off? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

the 14th - 3 weeks left :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

http://registrar.nuim.ie/ImportantDates.shtml

Why don't they print these things in people's handbooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Duddy wrote: »
    Barley, WHERE IS THE OMGWACA GROUP?? Or did I just delete it by mistake:P

Nope, it seems to be gone. Devastation/confusion reigns :/ I refuse to vent my frustration in anything ALC related! She's such a NFATR wannabe! Ash wouldn't stand for it!

Is it true that if you get 38% in an exam it's considered a pass? Or is this just other optimistic first years filling my mind with shíte?.. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is it true that if you get 38% in an exam it's considered a pass? Or is this just other optimistic first years filling my mind with shíte?.. :P

I think it depends on the dept. You can pass by compensation with it anyway.

So my Dad's in Maynooth this eve and said he'd feed me and the bro. Anyone have any ideas where we could go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Donatello's is gorgeous (Italian restaurant in the Roost carpark). All the pubs do decent enough stuff too. Greene's is supposed to be nice but I've never ate in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's impossible to be allowed get 39% because they must round you up in that case (same as 49%, 59% and 69%). Which means that 38% is not a pass. Sorry :/

If it's any consolation it's only first year, which matters nought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

banquo wrote: »
    It's impossible to be allowed get 39% because they must round you up in that case (same as 49%, 59% and 69%). Which means that 38% is not a pass. Sorry :/

If it's any consolation it's only first year, which matters nought.

It matters if you're doing Psychology through MH101 and you want to get into second year, because in order to do so, you must pass all exams in all subjects. Could apply to other departments also.

Oh yeah, if it's a required module then you need it to pass, can't pass by compensation.

I'm in Psychology (MH106). I'm assuming to get into 2nd year I have to pass both of my Arts Subjects in 1st year? It's actually one of my Arts subjects that i'm struggling with (English) and I hate to think that a subject that i've no interest in would stop me continuing on with Psychology, which i'm actually good at and the points for were ridiculously high like (520). I wonder would the Psychology department have any lenience with English seeing as I won't be doing it next year? :( My biggest regret so far in College. Did the initial 2 page draft required for the end of year assessment a week ago, got a D+ (48), it's really discouraging! :rolleyes:

Psychology department are wonderful in my experience. Extremely fair. Most departments taking students into 2nd year will care mostly only how you did in their subject. But you still must pass the others.

banquo wrote: »
    Psychology department are wonderful in my experience. Extremely fair. Most departments taking students into 2nd year will care mostly only how you did in their subject. But you still must pass the others.

They do seem fantastic from my experience with them, that's the problem though for me, at this stage passing English seems doubtful..

They do seem fantastic from my experience with them, that's the problem though for me, at this stage passing English seems doubtful..

Keep trying. There is still the exam and if you study for it, you should be able to get a pass and it'll be fine. The worst thing you could possibly do is get into a negative frame of mind and give up. Just remember, you only need to pass English, the grade doesn't matter, as long as you pass.

Thanks Novella, i'm in EN152A and i'm struggling so much with it though! I can barely understand any notes/lectures so I hope by studying notes i'll be able to scrape a D-..

Thanks Novella, i'm in EN152A and i'm struggling so much with it though! I can barely understand any notes/lectures so I hope by studying notes i'll be able to scrape a D-..

I'm in EN152B. Have you had a look at the past exam papers? My English exam is on the 17th, I think so yours probably is too. The bright side of this is that we have extra study time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Don't be afraid to ask the lecturers/tutors for help if you're finding the module tough - in my experience of the English dept, the lecturers have all been more than happy to go over stuff if you're finding it tough. Email and ask when their office hours are and pop along. I know it can be a bit daunting, but at the end of the day they were once in the exact same position as you so they know what it's like.

You can always ask for help on here too; fair few English students/graduates around!

• Advertisement

Anyone who is doing/has done English here? Is there anyway you could read over my essay? Really think it's going to be a fail. I haven't a clue atm and just feel so shít over it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

New Comic Store opening in Maynooth on Monday, found it out at a comic mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Any idea where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭purebeta

It better not be replacing The Mill Wine Cellar!
    Actually, what happened to that place? Last week it was all boarded up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

mickstupp wrote: »
    Any idea where exactly?

Not sure exactly, but we'll all know in two days :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

More importantly, on Monday the new library opens. And as everyone knows at this stage, THERE'S F**KING BEANBAGS!!!!!! :D:D:D

Anyone know what the story with printing will be on Monday then? I have to print my essay due at 3pm, maybe I should just head to the SU shop and print there? Do you need a USB key to print in the SU shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

DB21 wrote: »
    More importantly, on Monday the new library opens. And as everyone knows at this stage, THERE'S F**KING BEANBAGS!!!!!! :D:D:D

dibs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Anyone know what the story with printing will be on Monday then? I have to print my essay due at 3pm, maybe I should just head to the SU shop and print there? Do you need a USB key to print in the SU shop?

You have to buy a card at the shop, then you take it up to the computers and insert the card into the slot machine thingy they have beside each of the three computers. It's about €4 for 50 credits and each black and white page costs 1 credit.

You click print, then the prompt comes up showing how many credits your print job will use and you hit accept.

After that, trot on over to the printers and take a look at the screen. Touch your document on the screen, then hit 'release', and voila.

• Advertisement

Jonah42 wrote: »
    You have to buy a card at the shop, then you take it up to the computers and insert the card into the slot machine thingy they have beside each of the three computers. It's about €4 for 50 credits and each black and white page costs 1 credit.

You click print, then the prompt comes up showing how many credits your print job will use and you hit accept.

After that, trot on over to the printers and take a look at the screen. Touch your document on the screen, then hit 'release', and voila.

You'd need some type of memory key then I'm guessing to print In there?

Advertisement