Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

mp22 wrote: »
    strangely enough the minute you start thinking about west cork it starts raining.O yea most if not all puddles on the roads down here are hiding big deep potholes, drive carefully.

a tad damp, the rods stayed in the boot. :D
    could've fished some of the potholes!

seafields, how did u get on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

a tad damp, the rods stayed in the boot. :D
    could've fished some of the potholes!
    You wouldn't be the first :)
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fishing-for-his-supper-no-driven-potty-by-potholes-2123911.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Saw that guy in the paper. Brilliant photo.

My rod didn't see the light of day all weekend. Yesterday I had plans of fishing all day long until I saw the weather. So disappointing for a long weekend :(

Soon hopefully. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

The weather is going to be great next week which should get a bit of heat into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Does anyone have an old Fly rod + reel set to sell between 30 to 60 euro for a beginner PM me :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Licence got, sorted out the necessary with the owner of my favourite pool,now where did all that rain get to!:p

• Advertisement

Well, today was a baptism for the new season, i was fishing a narrow stream and very pleased with how my casting has improved when the czech nymph got caught to a tiny piece of grass. I snapped the line so decided to walk across and get it. Instead of waders I just had on a pair of wellies and you guessed it, the mud sucked them off me and I get a wet arse. :D
    Got the wellies back but lost the little drag tensioner thingy on a plastic airflow 7/9 reel.

And just to cap it off, at exactly 7pm, while I was pulling myself up the bank through baby stinging nettles, the trout started to rise. It's officially the beginning of summer for me.

Going back out tomorrow to do it all over again.

(luckily i got a pair of jeans in pennies for 8 euro today otherwise the ride home would've been nasty, while i was putting them on by the car a lady driving by beeped me. i still got the magic. i think)

Well lads I finally got out with my new rod!

Spent a few hours on a stockie lake on Friday in a boat. The rod casts like a dream. Am thrilled with it. Haven't really got the reel sorted yet. I was using my salt water line on it which is a match for it but i would want a better quality one.

Anyway spent the day telling my father all he was doing wrong all day. Its funny how the roles reverse in that regard as the years go by. He spashed the water. Dropped his fly box on the floor of the boat. Dropped the oar in the water and numerous other things that are big no no's in a boat

and...

He got a trout of about 2lbs and I got nothing. Sometimes I do wonder!

I didn't care though, got to try out the new rod and came back with a colour from the sun.

One thing that i did notice is that the bottom of the lake was barren. The cold, cold winter certainly made its mark and it'll be a few weeks of sun before the bottom starts to come back to life again.

Oh and lastly, had my first swim of the "summer" in the ocean this evening. Its was fantastic but feckin' freezin' - dont think ill see my balls for a while though :eek:

Right, give it a minute or two to get the fly fishing part but this is hilarious.

Does this describe you while fly fishing?! :D Doc, does this describe your typical day?! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Not quite a story but this is a friend of mine salmon fishing last Sunday on the Boyne in Trim. He didn't catch anything.......

BD442C0B138F4F61AF7B051693D2EE13.jpg

nice picture, can you tell me what camera you used and a couple of technical things about the shot, i'm trying to get into photography but the last camera i had was an east german fully manual slr. i used to print black and white shots in the old UCD building on stephens green, 20 years ago now. yikes.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

nice picture, can you tell me what camera you used and a couple of technical things about the shot

If you click on the photo it will bring you to pix.ie where the pic lives. In the bottom LH corner of the screen you'll see a blue link "More Properties".
    Click that to read the exif data - shutter speed, f stop, camera etc.
    The lens is a 70-200 L f4 :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Just back from my favourite salmon pool where the only life to be seen was a large otter,he seemed to be well fed:eek:,and was enjoying a fishy snack.
    Strangely enough I did not even get a bite:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I've gotten out twice this year. The first night I had to stop fishing my favourite pool because there seemed to be a heap of brown trout sprats feeding there and I didn't want to keep hooking them. One of them was putting on a spectacular show of jumping, getting to at least 4 and 5 feet out of the water! The 2nd night was quiet, I had a few goes at what seemed to be a decent trout but didn't manage to hook him.

Things should pick up in the few weeks though as the temperature rises.

hehehe!

i was out sailing in a 45ft wooden schooner in Roaring Water Bay (BRAG!) and whilst i was happily steering the three masted beauty the captain was towing a fishing line off the back which caught a 16" pollock that must have been 6-8 pounds. Then he fished some mackeral feathers and caught a lonesome mackeral.

I stayed on Sherkin Island in a place called Horseshoe Cottage, named after the shape of the bay below where Joe keeps his boat.

The entire island is just stunning, I believe the President was there recently and before she turned up they removed 2 dozen old bangers out of the way!

There are a half dozen empty beaches to fish from or camp on and two pubs, one of which, the Jolly Roger, is a great place. A piano tuner was over for the night and he played everything from classical to boogie woogie.

The ferry costs a tenner for a return trip so if you have a tent do yourself a favour and get over there. Just bring your own food and empty bottles for water. There's a tap on the pier.

I had a beach to myself and stayed there till the sun went down. Then I finally got to use an iphone app i have which tells me the name and history of whatever star i line it up with it. One of the best decisions of my days was to just pay the place a visit on a whim.

There was a good show on RTE one on Tuesday night if anyone missed it.

They had footage of sea-trout spawning on the Currane system in Waterville and footage of remedial works on the grand canal system and the care of coarse fish in the process.

Apart from the very annoying host, its a good watch. I'd say you can still catch it on RTE player - "Living the Wildlife" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Just back from a nice evening on the river. Caught of 5 or 6 small wild brown trout and one salmon parr! Was talking to another man down there and he said the river is full of them which can only be a good thing as it's been closed for salmon fishing for years. Would be great if they finally made a come back to the river on a decent scale.

Went out last night to a popular rock mark in the lashing rain...I did this because it was lashing rain so hoped no one else would be around! And I was right :)

Got myself some mackerel for herself who loves them.

However the one thing I noticed all over the rocks was the amount of rubbish, especially empty beer cans and even an empty bottle of vodka...who the hells drinks a bottle o' vodka while fishing? How dangerous is that like!

There's inevitably going to be drownings this summer. The rocks are dangerous enough places to be fishing without having a load of drink on board as well. :mad:

Heatwave coming next week by all accounts so the waters should start to heat up nicely and no matter what your persuasion whilst having your rod in your hand (;)) all anglers should benefit! Start making the excuses to the misses now lads cuz we should have great fishing in the next few weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

SeaFields wrote: »

...who the hells drinks a bottle o' vodka while fishing? How dangerous is that like!

a polish or latvian alco...maybe....

a polish or latvian alco...maybe....

I had my suspicions but didn't want to cast dispersions for fear of being accused of inciting foreigner bashing.

Considering the amount of lads from that area of the world which are regularly being swept of rocks here I hope that alcohol is not playing a part. If it is then there is a need to start educating them by way of multilingual signs or TV ads warning if the dangers.

Well sometimes they deserve it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Well sometimes they deserve it

Are you serious? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Local river is gone almost unfishably low now in most places. Badly need a drop of rain!

Although that said, the current low levels have allowed me to access a previously inaccessible run of water from which I caught an 11" and a 13" brown trout the other day (returned). I have a feeling this may be the deepest hole in that stretch of water and the fact it is usually unfishable means there could be plenty of a decent trout in there. Don't think I'll be telling anyone about it just yet :D

Seatrout are just starting to show up in my local river. Saw some lovely fish after a covert operation and a set of polaroids. Hopefully there'll be more to follow.

I have worked the last 7 days straight between job and DIY and was planning on spending today fishing. The air is warm and there's a slight breeze. Was going to get a boat on a stockie lake and drift around for the day and hopefully get a few fish for the freezer.

Horror of all horrors Im after getting tendonistus in me casting arm. There's deep heat, ice, painkillers and pressure bandages being lashed on so i might get a cast in tomorrow .... depressing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Went out last night to a popular rock mark in the lashing rain...I did this because it was lashing rain so hoped no one else would be around! And I was right :)

Got myself some mackerel for herself who loves them.

However the one thing I noticed all over the rocks was the amount of rubbish, especially empty beer cans and even an empty bottle of vodka...who the hells drinks a bottle o' vodka while fishing? How dangerous is that like!

There's inevitably going to be drownings this summer. The rocks are dangerous enough places to be fishing without having a load of drink on board as well. :mad:

Heatwave coming next week by all accounts so the waters should start to heat up nicely and no matter what your persuasion whilst having your rod in your hand (;)) all anglers should benefit! Start making the excuses to the misses now lads cuz we should have great fishing in the next few weeks. :D

Howth??

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Howth??

Nope, it was in Kerry but I imagine there are plenty of spots around the country in the same situation.

coolwings wrote: »
    Are you serious? :eek:

I mean that if they are drinking where its wet and slippy they deserve it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Here is a method I have been using to great success on my local river. Its in NE Scotland but I doubt that matters. Its what they call a freestone river which means a gravel bed. Fast and flowing through top quality farming land, so very fertile and nutrient rich. A well known trout river and plenty of very good fish for those who knows how to catch them.

Walk the river looking for rising fish, in my experience you will find the big fellas in the most unlikely places.
    I only cast when I know its a big fish and 99 times out of 100 they will take the fly with confidence. Casting to every rise and covering the water will put the bigger fish off and you will never see them.

Fishing upstream at all times wait until you see a big one. Watch its rise pattern(they will often move quiet a bit between rises) and then cast to a few feet behind where you think it is. Be aware that in deep or fast water the rise may often appear a few feet behind where the fish actually is. Extend your cast a foot or so at a time, don't disturb the water and if the fish stops rising stop casting and wait until it resumes. They normally rise again after 5 or 10 mins.

I use this method all season round for fishing drys and since I started my catch rates of big fish has gone through the roof.:)

One of my m8s was over in england and he was fly fishing for trout but he got a barbel how

Rain....at last some rain. MT Cranium over in the weather forum is forecasting nearly an inch on Monday. Hopefully it'll help the fishing. A lot of fish out in the estuaries waiting for a drop of water to start running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Rain....at last some rain. MT Cranium over in the weather forum is forecasting nearly an inch on Monday. Hopefully it'll help the fishing. A lot of fish out in the estuaries waiting for a drop of water to start running.

i wish the rain would hurry up.................i am driven demented with all this dry weather.............:pac:

Advertisement