Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Amazon description is up; looks like I was right on the external hard drive option:

Technical Specifications

Console Size – Approximately 1.8-inches tall, 6.8-inches wide and 10.5-inches long.
    New Controller – The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog circle pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a power button, home button, +control pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
    Other Controls – Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
    Media – A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
    Video Output – Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
    Audio Output – Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
    Storage – The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
    CPU – IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
    GPU – AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
    Other – Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Isnt that Amazon discription what we already know? Flash memory, that can only go up to 64gbs am I right in thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

smokingman wrote: »
    Amazon description is up; looks like I was right on the external hard drive option:

Technical Specifications

Console Size – Approximately 1.8-inches tall, 6.8-inches wide and 10.5-inches long.
    New Controller – The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog circle pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a power button, home button, +control pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
    Other Controls – Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
    Media – A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
    Video Output – Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
    Audio Output – Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
    Storage – The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
    CPU – IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
    GPU – AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
    Other – Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

All from http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

/\/ollog wrote: »

okay_guy_203.jpg

:D Maybe I should pay more attention to the first announcement...
    After spending time since the last E3 with no real buzz about the WiiU, I'm beginning to ramp up now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭iceferg

I mentioned in an earlier post that id probobly get the wii u on launch if there was a starfox or metroid game . this isnt exactly what i meant :D.
    its just a rumour for the moment.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/05/19/rumor-star-fox-and-metroid-teaming-up-on-wii-u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw that. Clearly they wanted you to buy one, iceferg. Since you weren't sure which one, they played it safe and combined the 2.

http://nollog.net/WiiU/controller.jpg
    A QA guy from TT posted this on twitcher.

(Lego city stories tester)

He's gonna have an interesting day next time he's in work.

Main change is the nubs have been replaced by sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

iceferg wrote: »
    I mentioned in an earlier post that id probobly get the wii u on launch if there was a starfox or metroid game . this isnt exactly what i meant :D.
    its just a rumour for the moment.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/05/19/rumor-star-fox-and-metroid-teaming-up-on-wii-u
    I really, really hope it's not true... :(
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Main change is the nubs have been replaced by sticks
    Looks like the nunchuck sticks, which is a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I will be picking it up on launch day but curious id the controller be good for fighting games , ninty has the best dpad out of the 3 but just the yxba buttons seems small , would prefer if the buttons were bit bigger , other than that im happy from what i am seening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Will it have Streetpass? :pac:

I'll buy it at launch if it has Streetpass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Not sure if I'll buy it on day one yet. Depends on the launch line-up. I queued up for the Wii when it was released but there was no resisting Twilight Princess that time!

E3 will be interesting.

Was just thinking, what is it about the name that people dislike? I mean if you're getting a game for it you get the game or you ask for it on Wii U. I don't see the problem over saying 360 or PS3. And there's even less syllables in Wii U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Was just thinking, what is it about the name that people dislike? I mean if you're getting a game for it you get the game or you ask for it on Wii U. I don't see the problem over saying 360 or PS3. And there's even less syllables in Wii U.

The gaming press HATED the name Wii when it was announced but it still went on to be a top seller. It's a proven brand name now, especially with the casual gaming crowd!

The "core" dislike the name because it contains "Wii", which is seen as an enemy for allowing other people to have fun with the system along with themselves.

BTW, Shane from Invisible Walls on GameTrailers done re-iterated the "you will be pleasantly surprised with the launch line-up" on the Bonus Round Pre-e3-talk-a-thon today.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/show/bonusround

Saw the revision or the Umote this morning, must say I like it more with the Sticks instead of the slide pads. Cant wait to play Super Mario bro's 3 and World on the little screen lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Saw the revision or the Umote this morning, must say I like it more with the Sticks instead of the slide pads. Cant wait to play Super Mario bro's 3 and World on the little screen lol.

Yeah, much happier that they included sticks instead of pads. Here's a shot of the redesign:
    wii_u_revised_controller.jpg

Here's a slightly smaller one:D

Updated-Wii-U-Controller-Large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

^sorry! :) just assumed that it would be re-sized to fit the forum.

Lazy, you couldn't just click the link I left could you? :P

The thing wrecking my face about the discussions about that controller is the square under the d-pad.
    That is 100% an NFC send/receiver.
    Not a button!

There is however, a square button next to the power button.
    That is a curious addition, imo.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Lazy, you couldn't just click the link I left could you? :P

The thing wrecking my face about the discussions about that controller is the square under the d-pad.
    That is 100% an NFC send/receiver.
    Not a button!

There is however, a square button next to the power button.
    That is a curious addition, imo

Yeah, some people seem to be thinking that little square button next to the power button might be used to switch full game play from your tv to the controller so your family can watch the Baseball or some such type thing.

Makes sense, thats what I'd say it is anyway.

Want to see the back of the controller, whats the grips like??? Hope they are better than the circle pad pro for the 3ds, that thing hurts my hands after a few hours use.

Also, see at the bottom of the controller, under the home button... there is a connection there, just like on the Xbox controller, to connect a head set, for voice chat/online game(crap)...:D

Yeah the 2 new squares. One seems to be fixed so probably the NFT thing like was said. the other looks more buttony. I think what puzzles everyone is the fact it's not actually labelled, like every other button.

This day fortnight is when we hopefully find out everything we need to know, bar release date and price. And see it in action. Hope it goes better than the Skyward Sword demo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Looking forward to seeing this at E3 now; despite never buying anything at launch, I love seeing new hardware! Still sceptical (Kid Icarus: Uprising was a useful reminder that Nintendo themselves can still produce games with utterly retarded controls) but I'm open to persuasion.

Kinski wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this at E3 now; despite never buying anything at launch, I love seeing new hardware! Still sceptical (Kid Icarus: Uprising was a useful reminder that Nintendo themselves can still produce games with utterly retarded controls) but I'm open to persuasion.

Totally agree with this! I got the game when it came out, yes its pretty, its a great game indeed, but if the controls are terrible, the game is not fun!

I still dont understand why they didnt include CPP control options, just left handed controls. RE:R is still the only game that uses it and its A-MAZ-ING with it!

What were they thinking!

When they make the next Kid Ic game for the 3DS/WiiU they will not let this happen again.

I'm sure there's a better site out there about this but from work I'm limited
    http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/rumor-wii-u

I'm sure there's a better site out there about this but from work I'm limited
    http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/rumor-wii-u

Cool! Heard about this, dont know if its true tho, it picks up the 3ds as well.

Lol it looks like a pokemon ball thingy!:pac:

EDIT: Ugh, why wont it like me link the pic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The fact there's so much attention on the controller, & not what the machine can/can't do worries me slightly. I know we were given a tech demo, but the amount of controller hype is borderline ridiculous.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The fact there's so much attention on the controller, & not what the machine can/can't do worries me slightly. I know we were given a tech demo, but the amount of controller hype is borderline ridiculous.

I think its just becasue the controller is new and so different from the wiimote.

We all know the WiiU will be as strong (hopefully stronger;)) than xbox/ps.
    E3 is only 2 weeks away anyway, ninty will announce all the spec's then.

edit: and sure isnt the build up to E3 each year the most exciting part, with all the crazy rumours flyin around.

Cool! Heard about this, dont know if its true tho, it picks up the 3ds as well.

Lol it looks like a pokemon ball thingy!:pac:

EDIT: Ugh, why wont it like me link the pic!

I'd say it was a mockup done using the pokeball one.

But yeah I like all the crazy rumours flying around. Now if only can get confirmation on the tea making rumour. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, some people seem to be thinking that little square button next to the power button might be used to switch full game play from your tv to the controller so your family can watch the Baseball or some such type thing.

Makes sense, thats what I'd say it is anyway.
    I agree.

Want to see the back of the controller, whats the grips like??? Hope they are better than the circle pad pro for the 3ds, that thing hurts my hands after a few hours use.

Also, see at the bottom of the controller, under the home button... there is a connection there, just like on the Xbox controller, to connect a head set, for voice chat/online game(crap)...:D
    Eh? CPP is moulded perfectly to my hands.
    I love holding it. I hate taking it off.

The connection on the bottom is like the wii mote connection, if unchanged from e3 2011.

Advertisement