Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

He will draw the average industrial wage, but the remainder of his salary will go back into the Sinn Fein organisation. I think that's disgraceful. The salary should just be reduced dramatically and that's it.

I agree that balance shouldn't be put into any partys funds but I like to see actual persons not gorge themselves personally on the public's tit.
    All of the other candidates will take the outrageous full whack for themselves personally and not bat an eyelid in embarrassement at doing it.

Fully agree the salary should scaled back dramatically to reflect the country's state today- at the very least it would be a sign of true leadership for the country eclipsing any old tat like 'listening tours' and 'Proud at home, respect abroad' utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Buddy of mine just pointed out that at least McGuinness has experience with running an army, so there's a plus for him... :pac:

And will give the rest to SF, it's not like he's returning it to the exchequer or using it for any useful cause.

More than likely, see my other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

vellocet wrote: »
    Try harder petal.

The point is obvious. While a large chunk of the electorate won't vote MMG because of his military past, there are people who will, and history shows that they have. Two Presidents of the Republic were senior IRA men. If you think Dev was less controversial when he moved into mainstream politics than MMG, I suggest you do a bit of reading about the time.

The one bad thing about this candidate is we will have a pain in our holes with the Sindo hysteria about it. I am going to open a book on the first commentator based on talbot st who claims they will emigrate if he wins.

The fact that you're even comparing De Valera and O'Kelly to McGuinness boggles the mind. If you think that the Troubles is comparable to the War Of Independence or the Civil War (in which neither O'Kelly or De Valera took an active role and both tried to stop) in the minds of the Irish public then you're beyond help.

And his "military" past? Really? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    The Sindo certainly won't like this election! :D

I don't like SF or McGuinness, but it'd be interesting to see if this news gives some of the Sindo's esteemed hack journos an aneurysm or two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I don't like SF or McGuinness, but it'd be interesting to see if this news gives some of the Sindo's esteemed hack journos an aneurysm or two!

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

seamus wrote: »
    I also can't see the logic in moving from his current position to a ceremonial one like Irish president. It would seem to me to be a step down for anyone with such a strong stake in NI politics like McGuinnes.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. There is still a lot of mistrust in NI politics, but McGuinness seems to draw pretty broad support. Things up there are still a mess, especially economically, and I wonder if NI would be better off with him as an engaged politician up there rather than in a largely ceremonial position in the South.

That said, what a long, strange road MMG has taken over the course of his life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah, this is what I don't get. There is still a lot of mistrust in NI politics, but McGuinness seems to draw pretty broad support. Things up there are still a mess, especially economically, and I wonder if NI would be better off with him as an engaged politician up there rather than in a largely ceremonial position in the South.

The poor economy in the north is certainly not the fault of McGuinness. His presence in politics there ensures that the peace process remains vibrant, and that both communities come closer together - building ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

gambiaman wrote: »
    I agree that balance shouldn't be put into any partys funds but I like to see actual persons not gorge themselves personally on the public's tit.
    All of the other candidates will take the outrageous full whack for themselves personally and not bat an eyelid in embarrassement at doing it.

Fully agree the salary should scaled back dramatically to reflect the country's state today- at the very least it would be a sign of true leadership for the country eclipsing any old tat like 'listening tours' and 'Proud at home, respect abroad' utter rubbish.

The president has virtually no expenses. No mortgage, no car, petrol, no living expenses, no insurance (house or car) etc etc. Any salary the president gets is basically all disposable income.

Hence the salary shouldn't be more than 45k IMO. It currently stands at 250k.

• Advertisement

I believe the thinking behind this candidacy is not to actually win (that would be a big ask as SF are still fairly toxic transferwise though not as bad as FF now) but to effectively drive maybe the final nail into the beast that was FF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

NSNO wrote: »
    The fact that you're even comparing De Valera and O'Kelly to McGuinness boggles the mind. If you think that the Troubles is comparable to the War Of Independence or the Civil War (in which neither O'Kelly or De Valera took an active role and both tried to stop) in the minds of the Irish public then you're beyond help.

And his "military" past? Really? :rolleyes:

Christ on a honda. YOU are the one who claimed the Irish electorate would never vote an IRA man in as President. I pointed out they had done so twice before. This isn't difficult.

Dev didn't have an active role in the Civil War? What? He led the anti-treaty forces ffs. O'Kelly was jailed.

This is the problem. You are being a nincompoop and I predict 2 solid months of this inane stuff from all quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

dlofnep wrote: »
    The poor economy in the north is certainly not the fault of McGuinness. His presence in politics there ensures that the peace process remains vibrant, and that both communities come closer together - building ties.

No, I'm not saying it is his fault at all. What I'm saying is that because his role is essentially maintaining and managing cohesion, and massive reforms are needed - which is painful in any political context, but esp in NI - that it would seem that his role in Stormont would be more important than his potential role in the Aras.

I believe the thinking behind this candidacy is not to actually win (that would be a big ask as SF are still fairly toxic transferwise though not as bad as FF now) but to effectively drive maybe the final nail into the beast that was FF.

This is possibly true. He has also spoiled any chance of Mary Davies or Sean Gallagher having a chance at winning, they'll get squeezed. They should drop out now to save some money.

McGunniess will just say sure wasn't Dev in the IRA when asked about his IRA past and he has a point.

No, I'm not saying it is his fault at all. What I'm saying is that because his role is essentially maintaining and managing cohesion, and massive reforms are needed - which is painful in any political context, but esp in NI - that it would seem that his role in Stormont would be more important than his potential role in the Aras.

That is the view of my mother, that his work in the north is critically important (She's not a SF voter). However, I don't believe that Martin as president of Ireland will not possess the ability to continue to uphold peace and reconciliation. There will be much work for him to do, but it will be in the interest s of everybody on the Island.

There are many young, talented politicians in the north in SF who can assist this transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I think the OP has gone to ground, but I'm gonna try again
    how come you're ruling Norris out because he wrote letters trying to get criminals off for their crime, but you're happy to support McGuinness who did the exact same thing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Good job, he'll get my vote anyway. Better him than Dorris

vetstu wrote: »
    Good job, he'll get my vote anyway. Better him than Dorris

Does his gayness bother you that much?

This is possibly true. He has also spoiled any chance of Mary Davies or Sean Gallagher having a chance at winning, they'll get squeezed. They should drop out now to save some money.

McGunniess will just say sure wasn't Dev in the IRA when asked about his IRA past and he has a point.

I think Gay Mitchell is on his knees in thanks to his god tonight while over in Galway, MDH is biting his knuckles and flying into one of his little fits of rage right now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

However, I don't believe that Martin as president of Ireland will not possess the ability to continue to uphold peace and reconciliation.
    He won't be able to anything meaningful (possibly anything at all) without the approval of the FG led government.

And do you really think electing a SF man head of state will do anything for reconciliation between the two tribes. Do you think unionists would be more open to a UI as a result? ..... Actually, maybe I should vote for him. :pac:
    There are many young, talented politicians in the north in SF who can assist this transition.
    I will fall over an bang my head if I were ever to hear a member of any political party who didn't think their own ranks were stuffed with talent! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

lugha wrote: »
    He won't be able to anything meaningful (possibly anything at all) without the approval of the FG led government.
    The Pres cannot be seen to interfer with Govt policy, it states so in the Constitution. They cann't start saying, " Oh lets do X,Y and Z with the euro and bailout ", all they can do is empathise with the country and hope for better days and meet foreign dignatories etc
    And do you really think electing a SF man head of state will do anything for reconciliation between the two tribes. Do you think unionists would be more open to a UI as a result? ..... Actually, maybe I should vote for him.
    Well I don't see why we should listen to a word from the unionists, they never have a decent word to say to nationalism regardless. And anyway, If they can accept MMcG as Deputy First Minister in the six counties they can hardly start gobbing off about him down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

hmm he's likely to get my vote at this stage although it makes me wonder what way this will affect them in NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

That is the view of my mother, that his work in the north is critically important (She's not a SF voter). However, I don't believe that Martin as president of Ireland will not possess the ability to continue to uphold peace and reconciliation. There will be much work for him to do, but it will be in the interest s of everybody on the Island.

My honest two cents dlofnep, a crazy decision and a waste of money and resources. I could see SF supporting Micky Harte or Robert Ballagh, but Martim was too 'invovled' for the crowd down here. Dr Sir AJF O'Reilly's comics will go balistic !!!!!

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It's SF. It's McGuinness. What's not to draw outrage!

Just heard on TV3, if elected he will draw the avg. industrial wage for himself.
    That's one box ticked for me - Mr Higgins waffled and did not answer the question when asked although he said he'd defer his multiple taxpayers provided pensions.

I assume you never talked to a Sinn Fein member canvassing?
    Will you get rid of the toll? Yes
    Will you sort out the car park outside my house? Yes
    Will you tell the bond holders to fúck off? Yes
    Will you lower taxes? Yes
    Will you give me a pay rise? Yes
    Will you drop coropration tax rates? Yes.
    But that will mean big companies will leave ireland. "Errr, no then"
    Will you send toireasa ferris around to give me a lapdance? Yes

I know politicians say anything to get a vote, but Sinn Fein take the biscuit.

Since when did building peace in Ireland require the approval of the Government?
    And do you really think electing a SF man head of state will do anything for reconciliation between the two tribes. Do you think unionists would be more open to a UI as a result?

I don't think it will hinder or help the cause. He already co-holds the highest position in the northern assembly. It's not as if they are not familiar with him holding a position of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I think the OP has gone to ground, but I'm gonna try again

Apologies Liam, I was out walking my dog.

Really Liam? Do you need to ask that question? What criminals did he try to get off? Would they be the same "criminals" you voted to release?

I'm pretty sure we have had similar conversations before, is there much point going down this road yet again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What would you rate his chances of winning?

He has a chance, but I wouldn't expect him to win, but you never know.

Paparazzo wrote: »

Eh, it's The Presidential election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Eh, it's The Presidential election.

REad the post I was replying to. McGuinness will say or do anything to get the vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Paparazzo wrote: »

hey that works when you put any irish party in there.

Advertisement