Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grants for UK study costs

Options
  • 18-11-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

:eek: Is there any kind of grant for accomodation/living expenses if I go to University in UK???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

Hoping to go to uk to study radiography next year. Have lived out of home since last Nov 2008, am 23 and unemployed. Tried to get information re grant for living expenses for UNDERGRAD in uk but am getting nowhere. Tried dublin county council but of no avail, they seem to have no idea what im on about.?? Who should i be contacting, help!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm gonna send this to NI & GB colleges as I think you may get an answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

As the course is undergraduate the maintenance grant system here still applies to you (assuming you're eligible).

However, from what I can see on studentfinance.ie, there is no help available from here to pay your fees over there. You can take out a tuition fee loan in the UK from the Student Loans Company as an EU national. They are government run and the interest rate is on a par with inflation so in real terms you don't end up paying back any more than you borrowed (for now anyway!)

Maybe take a peek around www.studentfinance.ie :)

ps: I've edited your thread title a little bit to get a bit more interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Aren't Radiography course fees in UK covered by an NHS Bursary if you are an EU citizen for min. 3 yrs? No maintenance grants from UK govt for Irish students though (i think)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shepon

There's Erasmus grants for all EU countries from the EU. I know my friend went to scotland studying for 6 months and got a few hundred quid n i'm goin to malta for three months in january and im getting the same one.

This grant doesn't apply for study lasting longer than one year though.

Hope that helps.

More information for grants at www.studentfinance.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hi

If your eligible for the VEC grant from Ireland and as long as you fit all the requirements then you will recieve the grant while you are studying in the UK. You just have to get your college to fill up an additional form to confirm that you are studying there.

None of the UK authorities will pay you a maintenance grant nor will they pay for your tuition fees. HOWEVER, if you are of Irish nationality and choose to study in Scotland then SAAS (the scottish equivalent to the VEC) will pay your tuition fees. You have to apply to SAAS though as they will not pay automatically.

I hope this is a help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

scatriona wrote: »
    Aren't Radiography course fees in UK covered by an NHS Bursary if you are an EU citizen for min. 3 yrs? No maintenance grants from UK govt for Irish students though (i think)...
    your right they are

do you know if one would qualify for the vec grant for expenses etc if i have a degree and a postgrad? where could i find this out??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We enquired about this and concluded that you cannot get a VEC grant for postgraduate study in the UK.

Ya but what about an undergrad?

• Advertisement
Advertisement