Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband (3, Vodafone, O2, Meteor) - Can multiple computers connect to it?

• 23-09-2009 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

If I was to buy Mobile Broadband from, say, Vodafone, could it be used on more than one computer at a time in the one house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

If you get a 3G Wireless AP (i.e. a 3G Modem with a WiFi router attached) then yes it can be shared. (e.g. http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/browseProductCatalog.do?id=741)

A bog standard USB stick modem - not really, altho there is a new product that will accept the USB stick and act as a WiFi router. (www.vigsys.co.uk). As I said before am not vouching for it as I have yet to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

If you get a 3G Wireless AP (i.e. a 3G Modem with a WiFi router attached) then yes it can be shared. (e.g. http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/browseProductCatalog.do?id=741)

A bog standard USB stick modem - not really, altho there is a new product that will accept the USB stick and act as a WiFi router. (www.vigsys.co.uk). As I said before am not vouching for it as I have yet to try it.

Thanks, I'm having trouble identifying an appropriate product on that site for what I want! Would you be able to recommend any products on that site please for what I need? Or suggest any even?

The VD30 from Vigsys ... from Huawei an example is the E968.

Not sure if 3G operators in Ireland offer a WiFi solution as part of a package, you could drop in and ask them.

Not sure if 3G operators in Ireland offer a WiFi solution as part of a package, you could drop in and ask them.

Cheers!

One question though, will the two options you suggested in your first reply work with any mobile broadband service? Or do those options have to be specifically permitted by the broadband provider? i.e. Could, say, Vodafone stop me from being able to use those devices somehow?

The VD30 will require a USB modem which, if supplied by the operator will most likely be locked to that operator.

However the device itself will work with *any* supported USB modem.

Huawei devices should be USIM-free (unlocked) and hence should work with any operator once you purchase a USIM from your preferred operator. However cannot comment if Irish operators will restrict based on device, someone else here may know.

• Advertisement

The VD30 will require a USB modem which, if supplied by the operator will most likely be locked to that operator.

However the device itself will work with *any* supported USB modem.

Huawei devices should be USIM-free (unlocked) and hence should work with any operator once you purchase a USIM from your preferred operator. However cannot comment if Irish operators will restrict based on device, someone else here may know.

Thanks a million, you've been a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

eskimo wrote: »
    Thanks a million, you've been a great help.

The Bewan wireless modem I got from Vodafone has a slot apparently to allow a Modem stick to be used as a backup if the ADSL fails, haven't tried it personally, but might be worth loking at the Bewwan website for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You can get a modem and wifi router from 3 in their 3 stores

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry for going off slightly off topic, but has anyone been able to get their meteor wireless dongle e180 working with huawei d100 which three are selling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sorry for going off slightly off topic, but has anyone been able to get their meteor wireless dongle e180 working with huawei d100 which three are selling
    AFAIK it's locked to 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Walkman wrote: »
    AFAIK it's locked to 3

Thanks for that, is there a router that you would know of that will work with meteor and is easy to set up

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

eskimo wrote: »
    If I was to buy Mobile Broadband from, say, Vodafone, could it be used on more than one computer at a time in the one house?

Look at
    1. http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/dovado.php (3G to ethernet & wifi)
    2. http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=183117 (3G to wifi)

I have used both of these routers, with O2.
    The first would be more suited to fixed applications, such as within a house.
    I've used the second so that I can use an internet radio in the car.

They should both work with any of the mobile operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Hi - I am looking to purchase a Zoom Model 4501 3G Wireless-N Desktop Router to connect my 3G broadband modem to allow wireless access around my house. Would anyone know if this works with a Meteor Huawei E180 modem. Would anyone know if this will work with Meteor or in fact if the Meteor Huawei E180 is locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Would anyone know if this will work with Meteor or in fact if the Meteor Huawei E180 is locked

The modems will normally be locked, but that shouldn't have anything to do with whether it'll work with a router or not. The locking effects what SIM card can be used in the modem, not what the modem can be connected to. If the router you buy is somehow locked to a particular network, as in the case where the router has a SIM slot rather than a USB slot, then that's different.

You need to check the spec of the router for what modems it supports. The network you use the modem on should be irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

If you have just a standerd router plug it into the main internet network port into network socket from pc connect mobile internet, on the network settings for that port you can change it to share internet through network port, and then plug any additional pc's into router.

should work I'v done it before whilst stealing neighbours wireless - thing is you have to leave a PC on the whole time, but its possible

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aardsoft

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct settings for the D100, VPN etc whe connecting to o2 in ireland.

Advertisement