Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ross - Proposed "Docks Hotel Festival" and guess who? JEDWARD! AGAIN! (MOD NOTE)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bui Bolg73

Sully wrote: »
    As has been said before, a lot of festivals take a hit in their first year. I have been involved in a festival that was a similar setup to this but with multiple private businesses. No funding, no sponsor. They money was to be made on the sale of tickets. It didn't work out and they are in debt. I know of another festival that was hoping it could do the same, and it never worked out so they didn't do it again. Another festival involving Jedward by the Waterford Co Board also flopped, resulting in a 50k debt (this is in the press, so its public knowledge). Some strike it lucky, others don't.

The first part I agree with. The second part, as I have shown earlier in this post, is how festivals go about their business. It might not make sense in the accountancy world, but its how it works for a lot of businesses (big investment, hoping on sales to re-coup and profit).

Its an interesting conspiracy that cant be proved. All I will say is that Jedward would have been booked, otherwise they had a big risk that Jedward would have been playing elsewhere or their manager stating they were not coming to the festival. Its unlikely they would have negotiated with them to deliberately pull out.

I know a music festival that had some setbacks, got great publicity (front page) in the local press and it didn't make a difference to their sales.

Plenty of festivals are based around local businesses. The original Tra Fest in Tramore was in many local businesses. The Bluegrass Festival in Tramore was based around a hotel and some pubs. Its not that uncommon.

Just to run through your points:
    • The event you were involved in (even multiple business was at least shared risk)- you say the money was to be made on ticket sales?
    Well in this instance 90% ticket sales would have been required just to break even!! So there was almost no chance of a meaningful profit even from the very outset and this is why I was so convinced that there would be a twist prior to the event being staged. I can see how a large event where potential ticket sales are much greater than the cost of staging the event would work but in this case the ticket sales would barely cover the costs- so can you see why I was/am suspicious.
    • I agree that many festivals have been arranged by groups of businesses in the past & it is this community spirit which generally makes them a success
    This was a solo run by one business with zero consultation with other local businesses from the outset. It was branded a festival by them, booked and arranged by them and controlled by them- there was no organising committee or input from outside sources. A far better term for what is to ensue is The Docks Benefit Gigs. By the way fair play to them- even as it is they are taking the risk of booking & paying for these bands and they may or may not make money out fo the whole thing- but if they are looking for sympathy then they are looking in the wrong place.

The only people who can confirm or deny IF a local business tried to derail plan are the guys at Docks but they seem to have gone remarkably silent since some dissenting voices have been raised?? Come on guys tell us who you were referring to.................you know you want to???.........Or are you telling porkies.......................Mmmmm I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bui Bolg73

Just a few other points for people to chew on-

Advertising for this so called Festival was confined to "free" online sites such as Face Book- no expense was incurred with the normal radio/newspaper/other media advertising? This is also a littel puzzling as surely in 2012 the only way to have any chance of a sell out festival is to promote agressively through the media and over a broad geographical area? Why was this not done if Docks had any intention of running the event at full outdoor capacity?

All the bands booked (bar Jedward) appear to have the same agent- this again is very unusual. Essentially it would mean that the entire event would be controlled by Docks & just one agent- a nice tight little group which would make any last minute changes i.e. cancellation or amendment easier to achieve.

On Docks facebook page people are asking if the "festival" is still on or not without reply. There has been no "splash" advertising this week either on Face Book/Twitter or any other media to promote this event which is to be held this weekend- very very strange.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Conas wrote: »
    How are they flawed? you said to me last night, where did I get my information from that the business was outside of town? and accused me that my argument was flawed then, and it was actually written by the festival organisers and not me.

People are throwing out these figures that Jedward were going to be playing to 4,500 people when it had been stated a long time ago that there was only going to be 1,500 tickets available. All I'm saying is, it was in the Docks's best interest not have to a concert outdoors to such a small crowd. The Family Day would have been blunder in my opinion, and that's why it was cancelled but everything else is going ahead indoors. Not to mention the stupidity of putting up a stage in a very bad and small carpark. If you wanted to use a capark, how about use the one that's across the road from the Dunbrody Famine Ship.

There is a very good reason as to why The Docks wanted to cancel the outdoor show, and a no name business is not the reason.

not really sure why I am bothering posting on this again, but anyway

I had interpreted that there was capacity for 1500 at each concert, not for the overall figures for the weekend. now I dont remember if it was 2 or 3 days of events, but in any case, it would by 1,500 tickets X number of days of events. if it was 3 days, then it would be 4,500 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Edit:

Posts were removed, thus rendering this post redundant.

Not to worry, there was nothing arguementative, scandalous or other way exciting in my post.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note
    Guys the last few post's are going off topic. If you want to discuss the business in New Ross. Then I suggest that some one from New Ross start a separate thread like the Enniscorthy thread (its very Popular) and I will move some posts to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement