Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I love it! It's cute and quirky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Not a fan at all. Can't say I have seen the great skill involved on the sporting side of it either. Just my view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I know this isnt the most serious of forums but your post is so wrong i had to reply. The GAA is the most community centred organisation in ireland.
    They accept people no matter where they are from. As a case and point the wexford under 21 footballers had a lad called lee chin playing for them the other night against dublin. If the GAA are xenophobic how do you explain that?
    I think that's the point they're making, in that it closes off communities instead of widening them.

Like all sport, if it's a team that I'm somehow connected to (like a county or country), it's a final and there's a group of people watching, then it can be fun. Otherwise it's just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the GAA the sport & leisure wing of Sinn Fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

fryup wrote: »
    the GAA the sport & leisure wing of Sinn Fein
    So you think the GAA is basically the RA at play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Traditional Irish music and our own language are incontrovertibly cultural treasures.

Those who afford Gaelic games the same status are quite deluded imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Much better than that other game where you're not allowed use your hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

It never really appealed to me, as with most sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

There is a lot about the GAA culture I dislike, namely the backward anti-Sasanach, bogger, parochial rubbish. However, I do admire Gaelic Football as a field sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

snowgal wrote: »
    absolutely love the game, both football and hurling mad. Cant understand people that dont like it, it annoys me!! nothing more local than gaa!!

Local can be an overrated concept...!

Can't stand GAA, never really seen much of a tactical element to it other kick and leg it.

Always enjoy hurling though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hurling is an excellent game to watch - and I'd have a gander at an All-Ireland hurling final if Cork was playing.

Otherwise though, nary a bit of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Female version of Aussie Rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Hurling on telly is **** , you cant see who has the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The greatest community based amateur sporting organisation in the world.

I'm not much into it but you can't but admire its contribution to the communities where it operates.

Someone a lot more knowledgeable on GAA than I told me that the suicide rate in rural Ireland would be far higher only for the GAA and I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Can't stand GAA, never really seen much of a tactical element to it other kick and leg it.

Always enjoy hurling though.

contradiction:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

St.Spodo wrote: »
    There is a lot about the GAA culture I dislike, namely the backward anti-Sasanach, bogger, parochial rubbish. However, I do admire Gaelic Football as a field sport.

I play Gaelic Football, and I love the game, but I agree with you on the negative aspects of the way the petty and narrow-minded ways the sport can sometimes be championed and organised. I think, and hope, that the Gaelic Games are improving in that regard.

I think the sports themselves are fantastic, and I am proud of hurling and gaelic football (said pride being rational or irrational is immaterial).

Also, anyone who thinks that the skill level involved in Gaelic Football is low is egregiously misguided.

[apologies for any offence caused to any rounders and handball aficionados; I don't really know much about those particular Gaelic Games :p]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Football's a better sport but if there's no other sports on I'll watch Dublin in the All ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Love hurling, playing and watching, but don't have as much time for Gaelic.

I'm from Wicklow so it doesn't really matter, my county rarely achieve anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Gaelic Football: The best game there was, is and ever will be.

I get the impression there is a lot of nancy boys (you know, the computer nerd, music mad type that wear tight jeans or chinos) on here who were perhaps never good at GF or any sport for that matter and hold a begrudging hate for it.

Although I've never played hurling, I've watched it loads of times and its fascinating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Greatest amateur sports organisation in the world.

Thank god it doesn't normally attract the scumbag fans you see at soccer games. Can go to any ground in Ireland without intimidation (unless you look for it!)

The GAA have the best stadium in Ireland and that's a credit to an amateur organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Originally posted by Jimmy macnulty
    Greatest amateur sports organisation in the world.

Thank god it doesn't normally attract the scumbag fans you see at soccer games. Can go to any ground in Ireland without intimidation (unless you look for it!)

The GAA have the best stadium in Ireland and that's a credit to an amateur organisation.

Or you're playing :pac:.

Also, the GAA didn't pay for Croke Park all by themselves!

I get the impression there is a lot of nancy boys (you know, the computer nerd, music mad type that wear tight jeans or chinos) on here who were perhaps never good at GF or any sport for that matter and hold a begrudging hate for it.

Although I've never played hurling, I've watched it loads of times and its fascinating to watch.

I was never good at girlfriend :(.

Also, way to generalise. I like lots of sports and I think Gaelic football is terrible and boring. I've come to that opinion after watching lots of it. I also like music (who doesn't? I think one might find an odd G.A.A player at a trad session, for one of many examples) and I'm a nerd.

fryup wrote: »
    contradiction:confused:

The sport, not the organisation.

The sport, not the organisation.

Point he's making is the GAA is the Gaelic Athletic Association, it's not a sport.

:rolleyes: its a load of muck, played by bog brained backward boggers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone who thinks there's no skill involved in playing gaelic football, and think rugby is a far more skill orientated game are truly deluded. They don't mind when those "skill-less" gaelic footballers make it big at rugby though (Shane Horgan, Rob Kearney, Sean O'Brien, Tomas O'Leary etc.)

elefant wrote: »
    Point he's making is the GAA is the Gaelic Athletic Association, it's not a sport.

... as is the point I made...? I think you'll find most people referring to it as GAA (Don't start me on this "gah" crap) rather than football.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've always had great interest, growing up in North Tipp Hurling especially is massive and most schoolchildren play from an early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah lads and ladies, I can't abide posts that start off with "I've no interest/I've never played" and then end with "there's no skill yada yada". It's like when you hear people who are muck at/never played any decent level soccer saying the LOI is crap. There's tremendous skill in all facets of the game.

Can you run at full pelt while soloing the ball, let alone do it with both feet? I haven't even mentioned being tackled while doing it.
    Can you jump and catch a high ball while contesting against others trying to catch/punch it?
    Can you shoot/pass the ball accurately with the inside/outside/laces of your boot while kicking from the hands?

There's 3 basic examples of football skills that lads playing for years still have trouble being proficient at let alone mastering. I'm not even going to go into tactics, positioning etc.

To say that there's no skill in football is utterly absurd. Show me a sport on the planet that does not involve skill. I know people have issues with the GAA and rightly so but please don't use that to insult the game that I and many others love to play.

... as is the point I made...? I think you'll find most people referring to it as GAA (Don't start me on this "gah" crap) rather than football.

I don't think you would find most people referring to Gaelic Football as GAA, but whatever, it's just semantics.

And I also hate 'this gah crap'!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

wouldn't go to a GAA match if it was across the road from me hate it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement