Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm so embarrassed asking this, and am so glad none of you know me when I ask lol, but is hair loss a side affect of child birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

I'm so embarrassed asking this, and am so glad none of you know me when I ask lol, but is hair loss a side affect of child birth?

Yeah! Mine was falling out everywhere after I had my son, finding black strands all over the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

God yeah! For some people it starts immediately after birth. We normally lose up to 100 hairs per day, but apparently the hormone changes in pregnancy mean that normal loss slows down for the nine months, but then this is more than made up for once you've delivered. It can be delayed by breastfeeding - not for me in this case, I'm losing it in handfuls! - but almost everyone experiences it. It's more noticeable if your hair is longer. Last time mine got so tufty I had to get a fringe cut in. It's not so bad this time, but it's early days yet. I've a wedding in May, hoping I'll be back to my Cheryl Cole locks by then (Helmut Kohl more likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

this
    My 2 year old ate the internet dongle..

and
    hoping I'll be back to my Cheryl Cole locks by then (Helmut Kohl more likely).

had me in stitches for a good while (my hormones are going haywire at the moment - think I'm going silly) :D

re: the stage 2 formula: ah, that explains it, cheers. just wasnt sure what the numbers were all about!

we have our 3 months developmental check next week - think I need to implement boot camp now, make baby do his sit-ups and chin-ups so we don't fail the grade (talk about pressure - if I'm stressing about this, how bad will school be?!) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

I am so glad, I feel loads better now, that I am not only one with hair loss, mine fell out, most of it, I end up getting my hair cut short. DH says its suits me now, but I miss my hair, its still fallen out the strands are shorter but its still fallen out, GP says after about 7mths it will stop, I am just trying to keep it together because if I started to cry about it, I think I will crack up, already cracking up with two LO's....

• Advertisement

7 months! I'll be bald! Lol

I'm so glad its not just me. I dont remember it happening on the first....it only occurred to me this morning that might be pregnancy related.

I was really freaked out too purolecat, I wad afraid it was an age thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep I lost sooo much hair it was frightening even though I'd been told to expect it. I used to only wash it once or twice a week maximum because it was such a hassle to have to vacuum the floor after drying it not to mention cleaning out the shower eek! I used to keep it tied up all the time. It stopped quite quickly around 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

ah god the hair loss another lovely side effect of post pregnancy!!!

have found hairs EVERYWHERE!seriously its like Hansel and Gretal leaving a trail behind me everywhere I go.Hair was already bad before and
    now will have none left.Other half not impressed with big brown hairs all over the lovely clean floors.

Baby teething like mad at the moment littlewhite bud starting to appear on her bottom gum.poor babs is pulling at her gums and drooling a bucket full every few mins.

Cbyrd sounds like your doing well after the crash poor you what a terrible thing to happen.

Just had my gall bladder out 3weeks ago fun never ends for us women

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Oh yes, definitely one of those lovely things they tend not to tell you before you have babies!
    I have really thick hair & my God it was like there was a hamster in the end of the shower everything I washed my hair, I had that much falling out in clumps :eek:

It eased out after a little while though so I didn't mind & it didn't leave it too thin.

I remember having my hair cut in a local hairdressers a few weeks before the birth & the slightly tactless hairdresser blurted out 'you'll probably lose LOADS of you hair after you have the baby, it'll be grand though!'.
    I had visions of bald spots galore!

Chillichick you poor thing, that sounds like a big op you had :( must make it difficult having a wee baba to look after while you're recovering. Hope her tooth cut's soon so she's not in too much pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Yeah it is Hannibal :) I think it happens pretty much all women a few months after the birth.. Hope it's not too bad! I'm dreading it :o

I have a Q.. My little fella got his BCG 2.5weeks ago & the Doc said that a sore should appear within a week, but as of yet nothing has come out on his arm! I'm in with the nurse on Mon to get his 2 month jab so gonna get her to check it then but I'm worried it might not have taken?! Does the sore come up within a week to all babies or just some?
    So we're on the hungrier milk 2 weeks ish now & although the transition has gone great he still doesn't seem to be satisfied! He drinks 6oz bottles 5/6 times daily & if I were to put 7oz in I'm sure he'd have a good go :o he's a little monster lol! I can see him on babyrice by 4 months for sure if not a little earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My hair is getting quite tufty too!!

I got the BCG for R at around 8 weeks I think, so... Novemeber... and it was a good 4 weeks before the sore showed up. The nurse giving it told me it could take upto 6 weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

purplecat wrote: »
    I end up getting my hair cut short. DH says its suits me now,
    it does hun, makes you look younger and more beautiful ;)

purplecat wrote: »
    I end up getting my hair cut short. DH says its suits me now,
    it does hun, makes you look younger and more beautiful ;)

Awwww! :D

Thank god I'm not the only one ladies. I was thinking all sorts...I even thought my mother was passing on some of her chemo chemicals to me lol

Cap, be prepared, my hair was beautiful before Simon was born. It was thick and silky, I may even have commented on it in the pregnancy thread at the time...now I'm losing it all :(

How strange....the shower is awful afterwards isn't it :D

Tigress...I was going to be really cheeky and say check the other arm lol. I don't know if a bump not appearing is something to worry about, but you could phone the gp and ask ?

Also what feed are you using? Isn't it aptimil? I've heard a few of the midwives comment before that aptimil is a very gentle feed and suggest to other mums that they change formula altogether. Now I don't know is that an old wive's tale, or does it really make a difference. But you could ask your phn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

How long after the baby is born is it before your hair starts to fall out? Little A is only 11 days old and it's not falling out yet... It's very thick... I could do with shedding some :) mind you not in patches....and not too much.... Not sure nature will listen to my requests!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Mine didn't start shedding til i stopped breastfeeding, it's not as bad as 2 years ago when i thought it wouldn't stop and i had to cut it short..:( this time it's manageable ... it seems to be stopping now after about 4 weeks.. i'm gone light around the edges . After my 2nd girl 9 years ago, the front of my hair fell out, it receded about an inch and when it grew back it was curly.. so i went from having a fringe all my life to having to let it grow out cos i couldn't manage it .. and i'm a hairdresser :eek: I'm not too worried as i know it will grow back.. cos i'm finished having babies it'll be the last time i have to lament over the hairbrush :D

MIne started falling out when R was about 4 months I think!
    I had alopecia before though, so i'm half expecting it to get much much worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Last time, I had a bath one night when baby was about 4 months, I let out the plug and cloed the door in the bathroom, next morning other half went in and nearly had a heat attack, the entire bath was covered in foot long strands of hair.
    We have slow moving drains...

Over the next few days, more fell out and after about a week it stoped.

So in my experience this is the way it goes.

Birth.
    Day 3, cry your eyes out
    Day 6, you have a belly button again, but its in a pale podgy pudding of a belly.
    Day 14 kill your other half over nothing.
    Day 21, spots, like you're 13 all over again.
    Day 28 after you finish breast feeding, hair falls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm glad I read this thread as a reminder about the hair loss. My hair is really thick at the moment (I normally get it thinned out every few months).

I was going to get it cut soon & thinned out at the same time, but I think with the impending hair loss to look forward to it'd be a better idea to wait before getting mt hair cut!

wmpdd3 your synopsis of the day's after labour sound oh so familiar :D although I've 8 weeks to give birth I'm at your day 14 stage already :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

just wondering when do our little ones graduate to a cot from the moses basket. like how long can they stay in a moses basket?

my little one is really fighting sleep during the day the last few days. then the scream she does when she wakes after a few mins. poor little thing. she is nearly 8 weeks.:eek::D is this the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Last time, I had a bath one night when baby was about 4 months, I let out the plug and cloed the door in the bathroom, next morning other half went in and nearly had a heat attack, the entire bath was covered in foot long strands of hair.
    We have slow moving drains...

Over the next few days, more fell out and after about a week it stoped.

So in my experience this is the way it goes.

Birth.
    Day 3, cry your eyes out
    Day 6, you have a belly button again, but its in a pale podgy pudding of a belly.
    Day 14 kill your other half over nothing.
    Day 21, spots, like you're 13 all over again.
    Day 28 after you finish breast feeding, hair falls out.

Ok so add in there - day 13 (from my experience today.. :) ) - cry for anything and everything!

I couldn't find my shoes.... It was emotional ;)

I think the Moses basket thing depends on how tall your baby is - I know with my two nephews - one only made it to 3 & 1/2 months whereas the other was closer to 5!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

red fraggle my little girl was the same fightin the sleep during the day.i think it is because shes afraid she missing something.she has only started naping during the day since 3months.this is when she started sleeping in her cot. by the way does anybody elses baby just hate the car? my little one hates the car since the day she was born just screams when ever we go in it!no consoling her even if i sit in the back with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ellen is nearly 5 months and still in the moses basket, we were hoping to keep her there until the lease is up on this house and we move somewhere else (25th March) but don't think it's going to happen!

I had to move Rory out of his moses basket and into the cot at 9 weeks... he was just too long for the Moses basket. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JenniG

It's been a while so sorry, been having fun filling with Visa paperwork & the Irish consulate. Dear god, the lady behind the counter nearly had a fit when I fed Sarah? She was hungry and kept there waiting for almost half the day picking up forms to fill out which lead to more forms....

Oh well I'm sure I'll end up back there again soon. Hope I get Lady grouch :)

Anyway, 2 months around the bens & must say to the new comers, "Hello" & welcome.:)

Sarah officially has her daddy's eyes, hazle

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

January wrote: »
    Ellen is nearly 5 months and still in the moses basket, we were hoping to keep her there until the lease is up on this house and we move somewhere else (25th March) but don't think it's going to happen!

im the same january. we will hopefully be moving from our mobile home to our brand new house in the next month or 2. :D the little one is pretty long but hopin we can hold out cos it would be mad to have to set up a cot in our mobile for just a few weeks!!! she 2 months this week!(oh my God):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

JenniG wrote: »
    It's been a while so sorry, been having fun filling with Visa paperwork & the Irish consulate. Dear god, the lady behind the counter nearly had a fit when I fed Sarah? She was hungry and kept there waiting for almost half the day picking up forms to fill out which lead to more forms....
    Well, it's nice to know that our Irish consular staff are truly representative of their Ireland-based counterparts! Isn't it handy though, not to be stressed about running out of grub for her when you're stuck in a mountain of red tape and queues? And how are you getting on Jenni? Have you decided where to live yet?

I started the youngest on solids last thursday and he loves it.. he rewarded me by rolling over ... and over and over.. which means i now can't leave him anywhere.. this pushing the shopping up the hill is getting really old.. i had so much to get yesterday i had to wait til the girls were home from school and once homework was done i dragged us all to the supermarket to play tetris ... managed to get most of it in the buggy.. only had 2 bags to carry but that's why i brought the older ones.. they were harder to control than the babies..:eek: can we get this.. can i have that..jebus. . then i realised i haven't gotten the form signed for my lost car log book cert so i've to suit up again today and trudge back in to town... although i was thinking last night in the bath i wonder how much a tummy tuck is and surely with all this walking i'd be skinny in no time. . .:D hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^ seriously, treat yourself to online shopping! you deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

CathyMoran and SMcCarrick you and kiddies looked wonderful on the telly! Little Shane and Helen were adoreable! :)

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    ^^ seriously, treat yourself to online shopping! you deserve it!

I know i should but i got 2 €15 vouchers from supervalu for this week and next week and unfortunately they don't deliver, otherwise it'd be tesco online . .;)

Advertisement