Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom to launch new Wireless Broadband???

• 05-02-2004 1:25pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

I saw a snippet in the Star yesterday that said Eircom are to launch their own WiFi product this month. Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure. I noticed the things on the website about wireless, but it seems to refer to setting up wireless hotspot inside a business, usually hotels, etc etc.

Sounds like an eircom business venture, as opposed to a wireless solution.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

as far as I can remember it mentioned consumers. I could be wrong though. Then again it wouldn't be the first time a paper got the facts wrong when it comes to broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

saw it in the irish times yesterday can't remember most of it but it's €149 for the modem and €80 per month

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    saw it in the irish times yesterday can't remember most of it but it's €149 for the modem and €80 per month

If this is true then well done €ircom for not bothering to be competitive on yet another product. Unless of course it's a 2Mbit product with no cap but more than likely it'll be 512Kbit with a 4 Gig cap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are two products
    a) a WiFi DSL box €149

b) Hotspot access - punter pays €10 for one hour €20 for one day or €80 for one month. Eircom setup a hotspot in a cafe etc for free (ie. cafe doesn't pay) - it's about €1,000 RETAIL to setup with netsource/vbnets- to ericom it's even less. So €20 per week would cover the RETAIL cost of setting up the system so it's basically an eircom rip off as the first punter pays for the system and the rest is pure profit.

is there anywhere on the net to read about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by LFCFan
    is there anywhere on the net to read about this?
    This is oreillycom we're talking about here! Do you think that the sort of people who will spend €10/hour to read their hotmail while drinking a €5 cup of coffee have time to be reading about this on the oreillycom website?

Advertisement