Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modern Monetary Theory and the economic crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

People do; (worthwhile) discussion has been generated, from my occasional replies providing more information, which others (including a mod) have expressed interest in.

The average post by you in this thread is not answered. It is generally followed by another unanswered post by you. This is what I'm getting at. That a few people a month ago showed interest does not mean there is interest now. I do hope people start posting in this thread and debating with you but they're not and as such this is becoming more a blog than a thread on a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I understand how you see it, but I was discussing the topic with moneymad only last week, and Lantus a couple of weeks before that; a firestorm of interest insofar as the Economics forum goes ;)

Most of my posts (even discarding replies to ezra and non-MMT posts), bar 4-5 providing better descriptions of MMT or links relating to it, have either been in reply to others, or replied to; primarily the posts that aren't replied to, are just providing more information for anyone interested in reading more about MMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

I understand how you see it, but I was discussing the topic with moneymad only last week, and Lantus a couple of weeks before that; a firestorm of interest insofar as the Economics forum goes ;)

Most of my posts (even discarding replies to ezra and non-MMT posts), bar 4-5 providing better descriptions of MMT or links relating to it, have either been in reply to others, or replied to; primarily the posts that aren't replied to, are just providing more information for anyone interested in reading more about MMT.

Announcing special event: MMT vs Austrian economics debate at Columbia Law, June 3rd

mmt-vs-austrian-school

Livestream: A livestream will be available on the day of the event and can be accessed from the home page or at this permanent link.

Thanks, that looks like it should be interesting :)

While replying, here is a good article from David Graeber, which gives a shout-out to MMT and some prominent writers on the topic (including Warren Mosler, from the link above):
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/21/no-need-for-economic-sadomasochism

Graeber is well known for his book 'Debt: The first 5,000 Years' (which I've been meaning to get around to):
    http://www.amazon.com/Debt-The-First-000-Years/dp/1612191290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357230016&sr=8-1&keywords=debt+the+first+5000+years

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

http://www.modernmoneynetwork.org/mmt-vs-austrian-school.html

Here's the video from that live broadcast. Skip ahead to around 22min

• Advertisement

Ah nice, cheers! :) I've been waiting for them to put that up (was taking a while), but had forgotten about it.

Here it is on youtube as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrhR_IDVAmE&t=22m30s

There seems to be a general misunderstanding in most economic/political discussion, of the conditions necessary to trigger hyperinflation, and of how inflation itself works.

Particularly, a lot of people seem to think that hyperinflation can be triggered purely by human psychology (losing trust in the value of money, causing value of money to drop, causing losing trust etc...), minus any triggering factors (such as a large devaluation or industrial destruction).
    However, while psychology always plays a defining part in hyperinflation, it has not been the trigger of any hyperinflation in modern history, and I don't believe it has (in general) ever been a lone trigger (this image gives a good outline of some causes).

In addition, when people talk about inflation, they don't seem to recognize that general inflation is affected both by economic output, and by the employment level (such that if you increase both output and employment, using deficit spending - however it is sourced - it doesn't need to create inflation), or that on a per-resource basis, inflation is determined based upon supply and demand (with inflation happening primarily when supply, or the rate of growth of supply, is not adequate to meet demand), which means avoiding general inflation is largely about avoiding physical resource-constraints (a really important point, when e.g. Europe has no real shortage of resources).

People seem to have a very simplistic and inaccurate understanding of both, to such a degree, that it obstructs debate on the topic of money creation/destruction.

So, I want to borrow a thought experiment I posted on another subforum, and see what peoples response to it is (to test my narrative; consider this example in the context of the UK):
    Government spending depends upon taxation (often supplemented with national debt, but assume a balanced budget here), but consider what happens if you change this so that government is given the direct power to create/destroy money, and government spending is funded exclusively with created money, with taxes governments collects being destroyed (all of this handled within electronic accounting, so no physical 'money' is actually destroyed).

Since taxes and spending would be balanced, no extra money is entering into the economy, yet government is both creating money for funding, and is destroying money.
    It has been argued to me, that this will cause hyperinflation due to loss in trust in the currency, but no rational reason has been described for this loss of trust; it is a purely circular psychological argument (circular, because there is no initial trigger e.g. devaluation, to rationalize a loss in trust in the currency).

This seems to explicitly be the core of the hyperinflation argument (psychology - minus trigger), whenever you hear it mentioned anywhere; this seems to be a false/fallacious argument. Do others think this thought experiment would lead to hyperinflation; if so, why?

For those that think it would not lead to hyperinflation:
    This reconfiguration of government finances, eliminates traditional views on taxes/spending; what is the limit to spending? (there is one - just leaving the question open) and what is the new purpose of taxes, now that they do not fund government?

Note: There is no 'theory' behind any of this, it is purely a thought experiment, about the very real ability for money to be created/destroyed, and for exploring what would happen if that ability were used in a certain way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

no rational reason has been described for this loss of trust

As far as I'm aware, nearly every instance (if not every instance) of hyperinflation has been caused by a Central Bank monetising government debt, due to Central Bank 'capture' by government. The mechanism by which government controlled monetary policy would lead to hyperinflation, then, is that it would be unable to resist the temptation to monetise its debt.

I think you are mistaking foreign-denominated debt, for debt denominated in the countries local currency; monetizing debt made up of a currency not under your control, means exchanging your printed currency for the foreign currency, which devalues the local currency - this then makes the remaining debt burden grow, requiring printing even more local currency than before, for every unit of foreign currency paid off (i.e. the more you devalue, the harder it gets to pay off, until you devalue so much you hit hyperinflation).

That also, the distinction between debt in locally-controlled currency, and debt in foreign-controlled currency, is also perhaps one of the most misunderstood aspects of hyperinflation, and monetization of debt in general; many of the famous examples of hyperinflation, have been down to forced payment of debts in foreign currencies (e.g Weimar Germany), and others (like Zimbabwe) are down to both industrial destruction and political ineptitude.

In any case: The part you quote "no rational reason has been described for this loss of trust" - that part was about the thought experiment I put forward:
    With government utilizing money creation for spending, and destroying (through electronic accounting) money taken in taxes, with a balanced budget, there is no logical reason to assume hyperinflation (or indeed, any ill effect), since there is nothing to justify a fear in the loss of value of money.

Looking at the consequences of that, on how government financing works when you make that change, leads to some pretty big rethinking about how economics should be practiced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Nope, I'm not mistaking foreign-denominated debt, for debt denominated in the countries local currency.

What you've described is just one thing that a government might decide to spend money on (foreign denominated debt) and the harms that accrue from a government which pays for that debt via Central Bank money creation.

My point, which your example nicely illustrates, is that a government in control of the money supply might choose to inflate the money supply in order to finance government expenditure. Maybe it'd do so to try to pay foreign denominated debt. Maybe it'd do so to pay locally denominated debt. Maybe it'd do so to fund current expenditure on other items. The end result is the same; inflation. Given that, I'd say it's a bad idea to let a government control the money supply. This is why Central Bank independence is a thing.

You note that governments have no rational reason to do this. This is true. You're correct that hyperinflation does not follow as a direct and necessary result of letting the government control the money supply. Yet, we have ample examples of situations in which governments do things which are really really stupid and 'irrational.' Political ineptitude exists everywhere. There are many examples of hyperinflation, some caused by foreign denominated debt, some not. Hyperinflation might not follow as a direct consequence of letting the government control the money supply, but my argument is that, given history, and given the fact that most people and politicians are economically illiterate, it follows as a somewhat likely consequence, and is therefore a bad idea.

• Advertisement

A government funding itself through money creation wouldn't have any national debt though :) why would it need national debt, when it can fund through money creation? (assume that current debt - in the context of the UK - would be paid off only when it falls due, until there is no debt left, and that there is no future expansion of debt)

The point of the thought experiment first of all though, is to consider it with a balanced budget: In that case there are no negative consequences.
    I think that you agree there? So I'll relax the idea of balanced budgets (if anyone else disagrees with me though - assume balanced budgets and we can start from there; want to avoid the usual hyperinflation argument trap).

So, with balanced budgets relaxed, I want to take a smaller step forward than you have:
    What would be the new limit on government spending, if it is not related to taxes and debt? Would you agree, that the limit would be inflation? (for example, a policy setting a targeted level of inflation of, perhaps, 4%?)

If you agree the limit would be inflation, do you agree that inflation is affected by economic output (lets consider that GDP for the moment), and the level of employment? (such that, it is possible to avoid excessive inflation if you are boosting GDP/employment, but inflation becomes unavoidable once you hit full employment)
    If so, then do you think a responsible government, could use this power, to employ people on useful public works projects, and return those people to the private sector, when the private sector demands them?

If you agree there, isn't that an enormous unused potential for resolving economic crisis?

Sorry to overload on the questions a bit :) I'm just trying to take this step-by-step, to avoid the usual traps in discussing this.

On the topic of central bank independence:
    In my view, central banks are primarily staffed with ex-banking/finance industry personnel, who have 'captured' the regulatory system and abuse money creating privileges to their advantage, such as by blowing housing bubbles and other asset bubbles, which destabilize the economy.

So, while central banks are independent in theory, I don't think they are in reality, because of the significant regulatory capture and revolving door with the banking/finance industry.

I think also, that they are responsible for significant inflation in the economy; primarily the inflation of the housing bubble (which caused a huge amount of knock-on inflation), which helped to destabilize the entire economy.

This also, in my eyes, means that they are an undemocratic institution - the heads aren't directly elected by the people, and they have very little accountability to the public.
    I don't see why governments would not be held more responsible for economic damage, particularly inflation, than the central banks are - I also don't see why government can't be more legally restricted, against causing inflation, than central banks.

Still, I agree that the discussion of potential government harm is a very important one; I think that just as important though, is the discussion of potential benefit that the government can provide, with economic stabilizers funded by money creation, and inflation managed through money destruction (that second point may sound a bit unusual - but when you think about it, that is one of the new role for taxes, once you adjust government finances like my thought experiment).

While the potential harm is important, I don't think it should preclude discussion of the potentially massive benefits, as normally seems to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Why bother taxing at all? Or borrowing? In fact why bother working?

"why bother working" - this immediately seems very facetious, like you're not really interested in debating, but more interested in sneering and beginning to try and brow-beat for trying to discuss this topic.

I want this to be a constructive discussion, not one where all discussion opposing me, is monopolized by one disagreeing poster who has no interest in civil or honest debate (which then drives everyone else away from the thread), so (based on this and past experience with you) I'm not going to discuss this with you, but will with other posters.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Why bother taxing at all? Or borrowing? In fact why bother working?

Seriously. Why tax? Why borrow money? Why make your electorate work when you can create plenty well fair money for them? Electorates hate tax and governments hate borrowing. So why tax, or borrow if there's a simple risk free alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

andrew wrote: »
    Given that, I'd say it's a bad idea to let a government control the money supply. This is why Central Bank independence is a thing.

Why are Central Banks so against audits? Who owns them and why are they so secretive?

Can we trust Central Banks more than a transparent government?

Hyperinflation thread merged with thread about MMT, since they're quite similar.

sin_city wrote: »
    Why are Central Banks so against audits? Who owns them and why are they so secretive?

With regard to ideas like this, please note the charter; specifically the bit about conspiracy theories. This forum takes it as given that Central Banks are not part of any kind of secretive global conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

With regard to ideas like this, please note the charter; specifically the bit about conspiracy theories. This forum takes it as given that Central Banks are not part of any kind of secretive global conspiracy.

Secretive global conspiracy?

I'm not saying that. They pay dividends to their owners but don't allow audits. You prefer this type of independence over accountable people in government?

I think this system lets both Central Bankers and governments off the hook and they can both blame each other.

On the topic, I hope this crisis brings the end to Central Banks as it's not right for one private entity to have a monopoly on money in my opinion. This weakens competition.

Discussion of hyperinflation/inflation and different ways of creating/destroying money doesn't equal MMT; MMT may be built upon that as a base, but one is not synonymous with the other.

It's a bit like taking a thread discussing free market capitalism, and bundling it into a thread about Austrian economics.

I'd wanted the new thread not to turn into one where it's me vs one poster, who has no interest in civil/honest debate (which then drives everyone away from the discussion), so bundling the posts into a thread that became exactly that, pretty much achieves that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

But at the same time one can't deny that they are in collusion.

Rightwing wrote: »
    But at the same time one can't deny that they are in collusion.

With whom? The lizard people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

ezra_pound wrote: »
    With whom? The lizard people?

Themselves ;)

On a related topic to the central bank issue, there is a recently formed group in Ireland, the Public Banking Forum Ireland, who (as you guess) advocate a public bank.
    They recently had a talk in Ireland from Ellen Brown (who holds views about money, different but similar to the threads topic); she posted up her presentation for that talk, which is very interesting:
    http://ellenbrown.com/2013/10/16/public-banking-forum-of-ireland-power-point-the-irish-debt-crisis-time-to-think-outside-the-box/

In that presentation, there is a particularly interesting take on the modern history of central banks, which I have not learned about before, and how their regulatory system is (voluntarily I believe) centralized with the Bank of International Settlements.

It seems that Canada joining BIS, was the means by which their Public Bank was reigned in, and how the Canadian government was made to rely more on private banks for funding their national debt (which is far more costly in terms of interest, and thus far less sustainable, as the presentation explains).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

sin_city wrote: »
    Secretive global conspiracy?

I'm not saying that. They pay dividends to their owners but don't allow audits. You prefer this type of independence over accountable people in government?

I think this system lets both Central Bankers and governments off the hook and they can both blame each other.

On the topic, I hope this crisis brings the end to Central Banks as it's not right for one private entity to have a monopoly on money in my opinion. This weakens competition.

Do you seriously not realise that central banks pay dividends to the exchequer? Up to 20% of the ECBs profit can be kept in reserve for the future, with the rest being divided up between national govts depending on how much capital they put in. The central bank is not run for profit so I don't see how you can complain about a monopoly :confused:

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/ecb/orga/capital/html/index.en.html

This isn't MMT, but it is very closely related; the Green party in the UK, has come out as supporting the removal of private control over money creation, and of putting this in the hands of government:
    At the autumn conference, the Greens adopted a resolution calling for “a programme of reform to remove the power to create money from private banks, and to fully restore the supply of our national currency to democratic and public control so that it can be issued free of debt and directed to environmentally and socially beneficial areas.”
    "The existing banking system is undemocratic, unfair and highly damaging. Banks not only create money, they also decide how it is first used – and have used this power to fund financial speculation and reckless mortgage lending, rather than to finance investment in productive businesses. Through the interest charged on the loans on which all credit is based, the current banking system increases inequality. It also regularly causes economic crises: banks create and lend more and more money until the level of debt becomes unsustainable, boom turns to bust, and the taxpayer bails out banks that are ‘too big to fail.’ Finally, the need to service the growing mountain of debt on which our money is based is a key driver of unsustainable economic growth that is destroying the environment."
    Reclaiming seignorage for public benefit has been a serious idea among many progressive economists for years. A notable figure in this regard is James Robertson, the founder of the new economic foundation in Great Britain, in 1986, who has championed this issue for years. Robertson’s most recent book Future Money explains how re-gaining public control over how new money is created and circulated could result in “an annual savings to all citizens of the UK of £75bn, and second in a one-off benefit to the public purse totalling £1.5bn over a three-year transition period.”

Austerity budgets could be made moot if the public were to reclaim the right of seignorage for public benefit. As it now stands, some 97 percent of new money in the UK is created by banks through lending, resulting in enormous profits in the form of interest. Between 2004 and 2010, British banks created £1.1 trillion in new money. Writes Robertson: “Had the Government been able to create this money instead, then it would have been able to repay 80 percent of national debt of the UK Government.”
    As Robertson explains, public seignorage would allow us to avoid “the hidden tax that we all pay to commercial banks as interest on the bank account money in circulation.” And we could “profiting from the one-off increase in public revenue by converting the money supply now created by commercial banks as debt into money created free of debt by the Bank of England. In the short term this would relieve the unjust ‘austerity’ now being inflicted on the poorer sections of society. In the longer term it would create a fairer and more efficient economy for everyone in a 21st-century society.”
    http://bollier.org/blog/british-green-party-calls-public-control-money-supply

They've hit almost every nail on the head there; it looks like the whole idea of monetary reform, may be about to gain some serious and permanent mainstream traction, at last.

Here in Ireland, it is possible for us to undertake similar policies, using Tax Anticipation Notes as I described in the other thread; this would allow the government-spending portion of the proposed Green Party reforms, even while we're still in the Euro.

TAN's would not include banking reform though, but it is likely still possible to achieve this, through the creation of a public bank - I haven't explored the possibilities of doing this while in the Euro though.

Ben Dyson runs the UK's Positive Money campaign, which is not MMT but which advocates monetary reform analogous to MMT, and (following-on from the recent Green party support for similar policies) he just put out a good article in the Guardian:
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2014/feb/06/change-uk-money-system-solve-long-term-economic-problems

There's a really great description there, of how banks in the UK, used their money creating abilities to pump up the property market, rather than put it into sustainable business:
    The Bank Charter Act 1844 prohibited anyone other than the Bank of England from printing paper money. Before it was passed, high street banks had been handing out pieces of paper as receipts for the metal coins that people deposited with them. Over time, the paper receipts became accepted as being as good as the coins, and were used as though they were money. Borrowers would sign loan agreements and accept a piece of paper with the bank's name on it, rather than asking for coins issued by the Royal Mint. In a stroke of luck, bankers had acquired the power to literally print money.

Naturally, banks found it hard to resist the temptation to make more loans by simply printing more paper money. The credit bubble that resulted – and the subsequent bust – prompted the government to prohibit banks from creating money in the form of paper notes.

But the 1844 law was never updated to apply to electronic money and still only applies to paper notes. Metal coins and paper notes now make up just 3% of all the money in the UK. The remaining 97% of money consists of essentially numbers in high street banks' computer systems. Banks create this electronic money through a simple accounting process whenever someone takes out a loan.

In the decade preceding the financial crisis, banks created more than a trillion pounds of new money – and new debt – this way. Of this new money, 51% went straight into property, artificially inflating house prices, with salaries unable to keep up. A further 32% went into the financial markets, fuelling good times for the City but storing up problems for the future. Just 8% went to the non-financial businesses that create jobs and employment, and a further 8% went on personal loans and credit cards.

Now imagine if we updated the laws so that banks were prohibited from creating both paper and electronic money. Instead, electronic money could be created directly by the Bank of England and added to the central government's bank account. The government would then put that money into the real economy, through government spending or tax rebates.

It could even give everyone their equal share – an idea described as quantitative easing (QE) for the people. Instead of flooding property and financial markets, money created in this way could start its life in the real economy, boosting GDP and employment rather than inflating house prices and household debt burdens.

Some economists will worry about the effects of newly created money on inflation. But they forget that money is currently created every time a new loan is made, by bankers who have no interest in the effect of their lending on inflation. In contrast, the Bank of England would watch inflation and would hold off on creating money if it started to feed through into higher prices.

That's an incredibly good summary of the current monetary system, how banks can create money and abuse that in ways that promote massive inflation in certain sectors, and how it can be reformed for the public good.

The UK is far more suited to this than Ireland at the moment, due to not being in the Euro and thus having control over their own currency, yet Ireland can achieve similar measures, with public banking reforms and the TAN's mentioned in my previous post.

On a related topic to the central bank issue, there is a recently formed group in Ireland, the Public Banking Forum Ireland, who (as you guess) advocate a public bank.
    They recently had a talk in Ireland from Ellen Brown (who holds views about money, different but similar to the threads topic); she posted up her presentation for that talk, which is very interesting:
    http://ellenbrown.com/2013/10/16/public-banking-forum-of-ireland-power-point-the-irish-debt-crisis-time-to-think-outside-the-box/

In that presentation, there is a particularly interesting take on the modern history of central banks, which I have not learned about before, and how their regulatory system is (voluntarily I believe) centralized with the Bank of International Settlements.

It seems that Canada joining BIS, was the means by which their Public Bank was reigned in, and how the Canadian government was made to rely more on private banks for funding their national debt (which is far more costly in terms of interest, and thus far less sustainable, as the presentation explains).
    Oh, and looking back at this: A while ago I did some reading into the founders of the Public Banking Forum Ireland, and unfortunately they don't seem to be very credible people (however, Ellen Brown - who is not a part of that group - is a very well known and credible monetary reformist) - there are Direct Democracy Ireland supporters (i.e. people happy to associate with freeman quacks), and 9/11 conspiracy theorists among them...

Ireland seems to have very few alternative political movements which don't discredit themselves through similar associations - which, in my view, is a very big problem; we sorely need more credible people campaigning on these issues.

Looks like Martin Wolf (editor of the Financial Times) is coming out in favour of granting government the power to create money - as I said in the 'endogenous money' thread, this is a Big Deal - a pretty ginormous (and very publicly important) change of view, for someone as influential as Martin Wolf:
    A still stronger reason is that subcontracting the job of creating money to private profit-seeking businesses is not the only possible monetary system. It may not be even the best one. Indeed, there is a case for letting the state create money directly. I plan to address such possibilities in a future column.

Article: "Only the ignorant live in fear of hyperinflation"
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/46a1ce84-bf2a-11e3-a4af-00144feabdc0.html

This is by no means MMT, but I think the Bank of England recognizing Endogenous Money (the fact that banks create money when they make loans), now coupled with Martin Wolf starting to come out in support of government use of money creation, is a very notable vindication of the economic principles behind MMT (even if people disagree with the policy proscriptions).

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see what he has to say about that. It'll take a lot to convince people that letting the government put money into the economy is anything other than a recipe for uncontrollable inflation.

Advertisement