Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online coaching ?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭

I am running about a year and a half now. I feel that with the correct coaching I can get a lot better. I catalogue every run I do and use a garmin. I did DCM at the end of Oct but feel I could do a lot better. Currently I find training plans online and stick with them. I am improving but I feel I can get a whole lot better. You may say why don't you join a club. We I would if I had the time but working full time and in College by night makes it hard. The flexibility of being able to do my runs whenever I have the time makes sence for me. I am looking for somewhere to put my data, set goals and then achieve them. I don't have a problem running 40 miles a week as I was for the DCM but I thought the lack of an interval session was a silly thing. I am not looking for someone who is just interested in making a quick buck but someone who is interested in helping me progress. I am 28 years old and having run of 1k miles this year I am willing to put the time and effort in. I know this will probably spark people pm'ing me with "I'll do a plan for you". No PM's please. I don't want that. What I want is someone to do a plan yes and look at my numbers on an ongoing basis and adjust the plan to make it better for me. Someone knowledgeable with diet/supplements for running etc would also be a plus. I ain't looking for miricles but I want to make sure that I am going in the right direction. I know I am never going to be a top finisher etc, that doesn't bother me, just want to know how good I can get though. I want to know is short or long distance better for me etc. So essentailly I am looking for someone to do weekly reviews on my progress and give advise on what I should change if anything. My end goal is to run a lot faster marathon. It should really be someone who would do this for free for a friend but I will pay you for your time.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There are a couple of people on here who would do this for you and do it for others so you'd be better off being open to pms - I won't name names in case they don't have time to help anyone else out. If anyone pm's you offering to help and you're not sure about their credentials - you could pm one of the regular posters and get their opinion on whether they think it would be worth your while to go with the person who offers or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

There are a couple of people on here who would do this for you and do it for others so you'd be better off being open to pms - I won't name names in case they don't have time to help anyone else out. If anyone pm's you offering to help and you're not sure about their credentials - you could pm one of the regular posters and get their opinion on whether they think it would be worth your while to go with the person who offers or not.

I agree. please feel free to PM me regarding this but the last time I asked something I got emails like we will put a plan together for you for lots of money and they essentially would give me a plan and that would be that as in it was a business venture. Looking to get mentored by a fellow runner rather than a business man/woman.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Hi Rom, have you tried reading any books like daniels running formula etc. They are well worth the price and worth reading before you go spending loads of money on personal coaches. There is tonnes of info in them and very accessible even to novices like ourselves

If you have read them and still want to go they way you mentioned then thats fair enough too.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Hi Rom, have you tried reading any books like daniels running formula etc. They are well worth the price and worth reading before you go spending loads of money on personal coaches. There is tonnes of info in them and very accessible even to novices like ourselves

If you have read them and still want to go they way you mentioned then thats fair enough too.

I have read a few but I still think I know better and make all the wrong mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

rom wrote: »
    I have read a few but I still think I know better and make all the wrong mistakes.

To be honest then you are going to do the same with a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

tunney wrote: »
    To be honest then you are going to do the same with a coach.

Not necessarily. I find it easy enough to change a workout printed on a piece of paper. I found it much harder to change a workout and then have to fess up to a real, life coach in person (i.e. I always did as told).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Not necessarily. I find it easy enough to change a workout printed on a piece of paper. I found it much harder to change a workout and then have to fess up to a real, life coach in person (i.e. I always did as told).

Have to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

Hi Rom
    I might be interested. Not opening up who and what Im about here but if you DM me we can chat there. I'll look at what you say, and if Im interested I'll mail back with my vision. If we are all still interested then Im open to having to a go. In your DM send me 3 pieces of info..
    1. What was your DCM time?
    2. On your last run, how many miles did you run and what was your avg Heart Rate according to your Garmin?
    3. Give me a rough idea of your training week 3 weks out from DCM.

If youre not interested well good luck and I hope you find someone who helps you!

Hi Rom
    I might be interested. Not opening up who and what Im about here but if you DM me we can chat there. I'll look at what you say, and if Im interested I'll mail back with my vision. If we are all still interested then Im open to having to a go. In your DM send me 3 pieces of info..
    1. What was your DCM time?
    2. On your last run, how many miles did you run and what was your avg Heart Rate according to your Garmin?
    3. Give me a rough idea of your training week 3 weks out from DCM.

If youre not interested well good luck and I hope you find someone who helps you!

Thanks to everyone for the PM's. Lots of helpful people on here. I am started working with someone to get me on track. Will let you know of my progress. :)

• Advertisement

What a difference a year makes http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81512861&postcount=1367 :D
    Big thanks to the boss for all his help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Who's your coach. Secrecy pffft..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

So some more hard smart training and I broke 3 hrs in the weekend. Hard work does pay off. Don't limit your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

So some more hard smart training and I broke 3 hrs in the weekend. Hard work does pay off. Don't limit your goals.

From 4:30 to sub 3 in 3 years?!? I think we all need to work with your coach :D
    Well done at the weekend. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Rom,
    Did you actually use McMillans online coaching program? How did you find it?

Cona wrote: »
    Rom,
    Did you actually use McMillans online coaching program? How did you find it?

No I didn't

So it's 3 years since I first posted this. Changed coach in December as got an offer from someone I know that could help bring me on more. It worked great for my race build up but now as I am between marathons I am lacking focus. He coaches some top runners so I feel that asking for his advise outside of say a marathon program is not great and I kind of needed a break from marathons so I gave DCM a miss. I have learned a lot in the mean time but do need ongoing coaching as I tend to do too much and not recover etc. So if you are interested in being a part of someone journey from 4:27 to 2:39:xx please send me a PM. At 31 I have time on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So it's 3 years since I first posted this. Changed coach in December as got an offer from someone I know that could help bring me on more. It worked great for my race build up but now as I am between marathons I am lacking focus. He coaches some top runners so I feel that asking for his advise outside of say a marathon program is not great and I kind of needed a break from marathons so I gave DCM a miss. I have learned a lot in the mean time but do need ongoing coaching as I tend to do too much and not recover etc. So if you are interested in being a part of someone journey from 4:27 to 2:39:xx please send me a PM. At 31 I have time on my side.
    All you need's a couple of good books. ;)

All you need's a couple of good books. ;)

Tried that but I do need another set of eyes to keep me on the straight and narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Tried that but I do need another set of eyes to keep me on the straight and narrow.
    I was largely kidding, more because of the structure of your original post (2nd last sentence). The answer is that you don't need a coach to get you from 4:27 to 2:39 as those are just arbitrary times. You do need a coach to make sure sure that your program is structured appropriately, that you're getting sufficient rest, that you back-off when your niggle starts to feel a little more like an injury, when you're racing too often or too seldom, or you just need some guidance. So don't look for a coach based on arbitrary numbers. Look for a coach that will meet your needs as a runner. You don't need a coach to run 2:39 - you need a coach to give you structure and wisdom.

I was largely kidding, more because of the structure of your original post (2nd last sentence). The answer is that you don't need a coach to get you from 4:27 to 2:39 as those are just arbitrary times. You do need a coach to make sure sure that your program is structured appropriately, that you're getting sufficient rest, that you back-off when your niggle starts to feel a little more like an injury, when you're racing too often or too seldom, or you just need some guidance. So don't look for a coach based on arbitrary numbers. Look for a coach that will meet your needs as a runner. You don't need a coach to run 2:39 - you need a coach to give you structure and wisdom.

Exactly.

Advertisement