Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice please just a bit urgent ?

• 28-04-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I was wondering if you APPLY for a 2nd course to do after finishing a 4 year course in may through the CAO but dont know if you will get offered the course or accept the course or not until august

if a person was in that situation until august would they be still entitled to social benefits even during the summer seeing as they dont know whether they will be back in full time education or not in september ?

i know you cant claim if your a full time student but what if u dont know whether your going to be a full time student or not in september
    and i will be looking for work during the summer

ive asked about this situation a few times before and nobody could give me a straight answer so i was hoping i could get one on this please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

You are eligible to sign on directly after following a course of study, as long as you are available for, fit for and genuinely seeking full time work for the period between the two courses, and have documentary evidence to prove it. How many full time jobs that would take you on knowing you could potentially be leaving in September may be the problem though!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You won't be considered to be a full-time student once your current course ends. But as with everyone, to be eligible for a Jobseekers payment you have to be seeking and available for full-time work. You must therefore be in a position to accept any reasonable offer of employment. Your application for a further course is relevant to this, so from the Department's perspective you would have to be prepared to take any reasonable job that comes up, even if it means not doing your course in the future.

I don't think that there is any portion on the form that says if you have applied for courses in the future, so the issue may not come up. The main point is however that you demonstrate that you are looking for, and are available for, full-time employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jhfde123

eddiehen wrote: »
    You are eligible to sign on directly after following a course of study, as long as you are available for, fit for and genuinely seeking full time work for the period between the two courses

well yeah of course i am going to be looking for full time work between the 2 courses
    as i said i dont know whether or not im back to college in september

if i do get a full time job its more than likely that i wont go back in september ! although i havnt decided that yet

emm see if i do go back in september for the new course would i still get the JSA every week during the summer if i dont get a full time job like would they want the payments back ??

and if i went for the new course would they want evidence that i got offered and accepted the course ??

You must therefore be in a position to accept any reasonable offer of employment. Your application for a further course is relevant to this, so from the Department's perspective you would have to be prepared to take any reasonable job that comes up, even if it means not doing your course in the future.

I don't think that there is any portion on the form that says if you have applied for courses in the future, so the issue may not come up. The main point is however that you demonstrate that you are looking for, and are available for, full-time employment.

so once i demonstrate during the summer that i am for, and are available for, full-time employment there should be no problems yeah ??

jhfde123 wrote: »
    so once i demonstrate during the summer that i am for, and are available for, full-time employment there should be no problems yeah ??

No, that's not what I'm saying. The fact that you plan to do a course in September could cause you difficulties.

You cannot restrict yourself to looking for work that will only last the summer. You must be prepared to take any reasonable full time job that is going, even if this means taking a long term job that would mean you couldn't do your course in the event that you get accepted.

If you restrict yourself to only looking for work that will last the summer you would not meet the genuinely seeking and available for full time employment criteria.

• Advertisement

jhfde123 wrote: »
    if i do get a full time job its more than likely that i wont go back in september ! although i havnt decided that yet

This is the main point. You would need to decide this before applying for a welfare payment.

If you would be prepared to give up the job for the course, then you wouldn't be eligible for JA. If you would take the job and forget about the course, then you would be considered as a genuine jobseeker.

I appreciate that you won't know for sure until either you a) get offered a job, or b) are offered a place on the course. But the Department don't deal with maybes very well, its best to be clear with them that you would take and keep the job, and everything else is secondary consideration, if you can't say that, then they are not likely to consider that you are a genuine jobseeker.

You cannot restrict yourself to looking for work that will only last the summer. You must be prepared to take any reasonable full time job that is going, even if this means taking a long term job that would mean you couldn't do your course in the event that you get accepted.

If you restrict yourself to only looking for work that will last the summer you would not meet the genuinely seeking and available for full time employment criteria.

hmm this doesnt apply to me but what if somebody got offered a course on the spur of the moment say in a PLC course which does happen to fill seats what if the somebody was genuinely seeking and looking for a full time job during the summer and other holidays after they finished there current course in may... but they suddenly take the course thats just been offered to them

would they be allowed do that like come off JSA in september and join the course without any problems with the department ????? because its unexpected like and after that person for 4 months looking for a job from may to september with no luck and the way the job scene is today

it would make sense to take the course .. social welfare wouldnt prevent someone from joining college no ?

Advertisement