Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Amazon Kindle book at UK prices in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Wifie bough a kindle touch today and asked me to set it up so she could buy from amazon.co.uk. I thought I'd share the steps I took to get her up and running. I pretty much did the same thing as the o.p. However I took a few shortcuts and it still worked.

1. Set up a second account (using a uk proxy)
    2. Sent a gift cert from wifies main account to the second account.
    3. Applied gift cert to second account. (still on uk proxy but not sure if that is necessary)

Now here's an interesting bit. The UK proxy I was using (davesproxy) started messing up amazon pages so I stopped and reverted back to the irish ip. The books which were not available before suddenly became available. I *think* amazon sets your location when you first sign up. Thats the only thing I can think of to explain what just happened.

4. Bought first book. I was asked for an address. I used a friends address in the UK (with his permission).
    5. Registered up wifies KT to the second account.
    6. The book instantly synch'd and downloaded.
    7. Following purchases just work and dont require you to re-enter the address.

PS in step 4 please note, if you don't have any friends/family in the UK, please try to get out more :D Only kidding, I'm pretty sure any reasonable address with a valid UK postcode would work.

Just thought I'd share.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

From reading some other posts on here, I suspect I'm going to get an e-mail from amazon asking to prove the address. Let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Tescos sell the kindle touch for €129 and the normal kindle for €109. Works out way cheaper than amazon.co.uk or .com.

Which Tesco stores in Dublin stock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Princess Mia

Tesco's in Ballinasloe have them anyway. Not sure if all the tescos do but worth a try anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone know of any in Dublin. None in rathfarnham

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anyone know of any in Dublin. None in rathfarnham
    Try Argos too - bf got his there for the same price as Tesco. You can check online in advance too. The Jervis Street branch has over 5 of both the Kindle and Kindle Touch currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

I setup my wife's Kindle last Christmas with a uk address and purchased a number of books successfully. A few days later she got emails asking her to verify her address which we ignored. In the meantime she has managed to download to her kindle wirelessly using amazon 1-click. Last night she had a problem purchasing from .co.uk site. I can't remember the message but something to the efect of the books not being available in her location. Today I purchased a free book for her using daveproxy.co.uk without any problem using the 1-click method.

My question is: Is there a risk using a proxy of leaking credit card details? The credit card details are stored with amazon which allows her to purchase using 1-click so I dont think this information is being sent around the world but rather is just stored on the amazon server.

Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

AldilaMan wrote: »
    I setup my wife's Kindle last Christmas with a uk address and purchased a number of books successfully. A few days later she got emails asking her to verify her address which we ignored. In the meantime she has managed to download to her kindle wirelessly using amazon 1-click. Last night she had a problem purchasing from .co.uk site. I can't remember the message but something to the efect of the books not being available in her location. Today I purchased a free book for her using daveproxy.co.uk without any problem using the 1-click method.

My question is: Is there a risk using a proxy of leaking credit card details? The credit card details are stored with amazon which allows her to purchase using 1-click so I dont think this information is being sent around the world but rather is just stored on the amazon server.

Any views?

I'd be interested in knowing this also

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭brucefan

I have a kindle registered at amazon.com and my son uses it a lot. I want to get him his own for christmas and register it at the .uk site. Has anyone done this lately and is there any problem with an Irish credit card? Also what is the easiest way to do this! Thanks! :D

I can't buy books from amazon for my laptop but can with my ipad..

• Advertisement

• brucefan wrote: »
    I have a kindle registered at amazon.com and my son uses it a lot. I want to get him his own for christmas and register it at the .uk site. Has anyone done this lately and is there any problem with an Irish credit card? Also what is the easiest way to do this! Thanks! :D

You can't buy books from the uk store if you live Ireland unfortunately. Not while using an irish ip address to connect anyway. You can try using a vpn or similiar service which will make it look like your order was placed from a uk ip address but amazon have blocked most of the uk ip addresses for such services.

You can't buy books from the uk store if you live Ireland unfortunately. Not while using an irish ip address to connect anyway. You can try using a vpn or similiar service which will make it look like your order was placed from a uk ip address but amazon have blocked most of the uk ip addresses for such services.

I can from my ipad but can't when I go through my laptop, both on the same wireless network. The ipad was bought in the uk if that makes any difference....

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I only buy from the uk site,have the kindle app though,would that make a difference? Hoping to get the kindle for christmas but only if i can buy from .co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lidllady

I just got that "verify uk address" email from them,can i ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Just make up an address or use a friends uk one... since my last post i have gotten a kindle from argos in ireland and it's working away on uk site,no probs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

angelll wrote: »
    Just make up an address or use a friends uk one... since my last post i have gotten a kindle from argos in ireland and it's working away on uk site,no probs :)

I was getting away with that for a while, but they've now stopped me buying from them at all until I verify address - I stupidly used the Kindle app on my phone which obviously gave my Irish IP. To be honest, I don't know if I can be bothered anymore, messing around with a proxy and all. Think I'll just give in and buy from .com site.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

It seems Irish Kindle users can now transfer their amazon.com account to amazon.co.uk

Advertisement