Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heads up on means test for claimants with working spouse/cohabitant

• 27-04-2011 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Just some important info regarding means test for JSA and Disability-Allowance. Current guidelines state "Pension Levy" should now be included with PRSI, Superannuation/Pension & Union as a deduction from spuoses gross (remember insurable disregard too). This info is not available at citizens-advice or on most forms literature it seems. I could find no mention of "universal social charge" as a deduction. Remember you can appeal decisions, check the figures.

(Last Updated: 04/03/2011 11:27)
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/disall.aspx#part1
    Under the new means assessment arrangements introduced from 26 September 2007, spouse's/civil partner's/cohabitant's earnings are calculated as gross earnings less PRSI, Superannuation and Union dues (since March 2009 pension levies are also deducted). Where the spouse/civil partner/cohabitant is engaged in insurable employment a disregard of €20 per day applies subject to a maximum of €60 per week and balance is at 60%. In all other cases the balance is assessed at 100%. the disregard of €20 per day only applies to insurable employment

Threshold is €312.80

Thx. mp22

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If anyone disagrees with the result of the means test,they can appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Can anyone tell me what other expenses they take into account when calculating means?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

Can anyone tell me what other expenses they take into account when calculating means?

None. For the simple reason that if they took loans/mortgages into account, and someone was only slightly over the means for the means test, theoretically that person could arrange a loan or mortgage to fall back under the threshold and qualify for payment.

That and most of the developers under NAMA would qualify for payment.

So why do they have an appeals process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

For the medical grounds?

• Advertisement

So why do they have an appeals process?

To allow for details not brought to the attention of the deciding officer, or details they might have missed. I'd say anecdotally that means decisions are correct 9 times out of 10, as they deal with the facts and figures and are one of the only succinctly defined aspects of social welfare legislation, but as deciding officers are human too there is a margin for error.

eddiehen wrote: »
    To allow for details not brought to the attention of the deciding officer, or details they might have missed. I'd say anecdotally that means decisions are correct 9 times out of 10, as they deal with the facts and figures and are one of the only succinctly defined aspects of social welfare legislation, but as deciding officers are human too there is a margin for error.

Thats what I'm asking, What other details would they take into consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

i dont know if i qualify for the dole for the summer i live with my parents, i know how to work out if i qualify but how do i work out what my parents earn weekly, ive been looking at my dad p60s and income Levy for the year, do i just divide what he gets a year by 52 then to get his weekly income?

i dont wanna go over to the dole office if im not gonna qualify for it, i also know it says i need to prove my address with a letter 2 months recent but i dont have any letters that recent?

can anyone tell me what documents i will need : age card, letter to prove adress, parents p60? or what do i need to show them my parents income?

Thats what I'm asking, What other details would they take into consideration?

None apart from what's already mentioned!!!!

If a deciding officer doesn't take into account the Union dues, or PRSI for example, and you appeal, then it goes back to the DO who does a double-check to make sure all the allowances are made.
    Assessable income is gross earnings less deductions for PRSI, superannuation (icluding AVC's and PRSA's), the pension levy and union dues.
    If he/she sees that they have missed something, they revise the decision and advise you. If not, because you have a statutory right to appeal, they must send it on to the appeals office, knowing that it will sit in that queue only to come back with the disallowance upheld. The above is just an excerpt from the insurable income means assessment. All operational guidelines regarding means can be found here

Cathal_91 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what documents i will need : age card, letter to prove adress, parents p60? or what do i need to show them my parents income?

Age card AND birth cert, a bill from your parents and a note from them confirming you live there, and a current payslip from them. If you have a bank account, i'd bring a statement (even just to show there's nothing in it if need be!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Age card will not do. Passport or long version of birth cert are the primary IDs accepted by SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

thanks alot eddie for the reply read no. 8 on this link

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q8

The following documents may also be acceptable: Credit or Debit Card; Medical Card, Age ID Card, Work ID Card, Club Membership Card.

The following items are not accepted as proof of identity:

Birth or Baptismal certificates
    Bills or personal letters

ill pop over and ask them what exactly i need first anyway, i got a feelin my parents make too much, i dont wanna get the dole, im 19 and believe me its very hard to find a job in my town. anyway thanks for the reply, ill let ya's know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Age ID card may be acceptable... if you do not have a passport or driving licence... some sw offices may ask you to go to your garda station with a passport photo proving who you are if you do not have a passport or driving licence.

Advertisement