Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setanta secures rights for NHL in Ireland?

• 12-10-2011 9:40am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭

I'm hearing whispers from a few mates on Twitter that Setanta have secured the rights to show NHL in Ireland.

Anyone got anything on this?

Hopefully this is true, can't handle any more dodgy streams :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

thebison wrote: »
    I'm hearing whispers from a few mates on Twitter that Setanta have secured the rights to show NHL in Ireland.

Anyone got anything on this?

Hopefully this is true, can't handle any more dodgy streams :p

Well people be welling too pay for this channel. I'm not sure the uk people well if they already have espn. Its not like sky is cheap too have.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

i heard the same myself, I dont think ESPN have it correct me if im wrong, I hope they do have it and show it on Setanta Ireland, so its free on UPC, that would suit me lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I am not sure I could stretch the budget to get setanta :( I think its aroung €16 per month but their site from having a quick look does not show cost.

I guess this season I will miss out, I hope there will be some kind of package for the playoffs either streamed or on sky.

me bro got it on sky for footie and he said he got some deal half price, if you say 2011, im certain it still stands as he only signed up the other week. just ask them, I'm sure they wont turn away money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Premier Sports announced that they have the rights to the NHL for the UK today so I guess Setanta will have the Irish rights

EDIT: From the Setanta Ireland facebook page: "We have secured the rights to the NHL in Ireland. We will be showing as many live games as possible. Get ready for some toothless men beating each other up! And some quality ice hockey of course :)"

• Advertisement

Premier Sports announced that they have the rights to the NHL for the UK today so I guess Setanta will have the Irish rights

EDIT: From the Setanta Ireland facebook page: "We have secured the rights to the NHL in Ireland. We will be showing as many live games as possible. Get ready for some toothless men beating each other up! And some quality ice hockey of course :)"

I well not be paying for any more channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

this is good news indeed.. hope that includes the showing of NHL On the Fly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Good to see they've a full understanding of the sport anyway...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Just tweeted it. Brilliant news :)
    @SetantaSports
    Great news, we have secured the rights to the NHL in Ireland. We will be showing as many live games as possible :) #hockey #nhl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I may have to give up my monthly night out or the movies pack for this. My misses will kill me if its the movies so its a tough call.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    I may have to give up my monthly night out or the movies pack for this. My misses will kill me if its the movies so its a tough call.

I'm not at home so not 100% sure about this, but...

There are two Setanta channels available in Ireland, is that right? Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports?

One of them is included on the general packages with UPC (Setanta Ireland) and the other is an extra cost per month.

So, which channel will be showing the hockey does anyone know? Or will it be a case of live games on Setanta Sports and re-runs and highlight shows on Setanta Ireland?

620_200_nhl2.jpg

They haven't wasted much time... :)

I can't see any games listed on their site yet though.

They just tweeted a few minutes ago
    @SetantaSports
    Setanta Sports
    Our live NHL coverage starts this weekend on Setanta Ireland. First game is the Anaheim Ducks v San Jose Sharks at 3am on Saturday :)

I can't figure out why they got the rights for the hockey. Its not like they have room for loads of games. With all the soccer/ rugby they show etc.

Whats espn going too do now the the baseball is near finished and the nba could not be going ahead. They well have alot of free space in there schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Most games are on after 12pm so plenty of space to fill!
    With Formula One next season, Rugby World Cup, and now NHL, Setanta seem to be getting the finger out! Fair Play!
    Dont forget Premier Sports is Setantas Sister channel so one goes with the other!

thebison wrote: »
    They just tweeted a few minutes ago
    Same as Premier Sports coverage!
    10 live games a week it seems!
    Not bad but ESPN America had far more but better than nothing!

Setanta Sports 1 are showing Live Moto GP at 3am on Sunday morning followred by F1 Korean GP so I assume The Ducks game will be on Setanta Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Fantastic news... off to check out a subscription as soon as I get home!! Perhaps things are looking up for hockey around here- NHL on tv, a rink in Santry and Christmas rinks, inline season soon....happy days :)

UPC you have Setanta Ireland free, to get Setanta 1 is €15 which is a bit steep for one channel that may not show the games. Think Ill hang tight with Setanta Ireland and see how it pans out. Great to see another channel interested in the game though, shows the coverage will be save for the next few years with two companies fighting for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

cena wrote: »

Whats espn going too do now the the baseball is near finished and the nba could not be going ahead. They well have alot of free space in there schedule.

ESPNA is going to turn into the College Basketball channel once the college football season ends in early December. Unfortunately theres going to be loads of that Winter X-Games rubbish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

was on Setanta Ireland.. wonder how many games they'll eventually manage to show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

was on Setanta Ireland.. wonder how many games they'll eventually manage to show

Are there any listings available? I can't see the game in the online listing. Fantastic news. Have to admit that I have really struggled without the tv. Online isn't the same.

Fixtures for this week

http://www.setanta.com/nhl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

anyone know if ESPNA or Setanta will be showing things like, this week in hocket etc?
    It's the daily highlights pieces I miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I was just flicking through the channels there and I see the Toronto v Colorado game is on Setanta Ireland and Setanta HD tonight...

Might give that a watch, Pens aren't on til 1.30am.

Yeah all games this week are on Setanta HD, Maybe they are gauging audience figures! Recorded all game sthis week so will enjoy a week of Hockey finally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Coeus wrote: »
    I was just flicking through the channels there and I see the Toronto v Colorado game is on Setanta Ireland and Setanta HD tonight...

Watched the first period of the game last night and recorded the rest. Picture wasn't the best at time, definitely not HD as it broke a few times and they were all over the place with the advert breaks. IIRC, they missed a minute or so of actual play. Teething problems I hope. Great to have hockey on all the same. My Rangers are on this week versus the Canucks.

How much is this channel

Free on UPC, they have a half price offer on Sky, quote 2011, but not sure on the in's and out's of it. just what my bro said :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Will they be only showing late games or will they eventually show delayed games at reasonable times like ESPNA used to do? At weekends there are games at 1pm/4pm US time, i doubt we'll get any of these though as it will clash with Uzbekistan's premier league highlights.

Advertisement