Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galaxy s2: is my battery faulty,or is this normal?

• 02-08-2011 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Finding it difficult to get a full day out of it. I'm not a heavy user but have been messing around with it, just exploring.

I have power save set to come on at 50 %..I turn everything off apart from wifi, and have screen brightness less than 50%.

I charged up the phone overnight there,it's been off charge now for 2 hours 20 mons, I've made no calls, received 1 text and checked my emails. Battery is down to 89%:

Android system 25%
    display 23%
    media server 22%
    cell stand by 10%
    they Re the main ones

I also have a widget for mobile data which I have set to off, unless I am out of range of wifi..or is this pointless?

Coming from the desire hd, I am disappointed with the battery life, happier with pretty much everything else though..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Finding it difficult to get a full day out of it. I'm not a heavy user but have been messing around with it, just exploring.

I have power save set to come on at 50 %..I turn everything off apart from wifi, and have screen brightness less than 50%.

I charged up the phone overnight there,it's been off charge now for 2 hours 20 mons, I've made no calls, received 1 text and checked my emails. Battery is down to 89%:

Android system 25%
    display 23%
    media server 22%
    cell stand by 10%
    they Re the main ones

I also have a widget for mobile data which I have set to off, unless I am out of range of wifi..or is this pointless?

Coming from the desire hd, I am disappointed with the battery life, happier with pretty much everything else though..

Thanks

media server 22%

This seem a bit odd although i dont have a galaxy S2...Do you know if this is an app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

From the research I've done on the internet, reading various reviews of the Galaxy S2, etc. this appears to be normal.

This is the main reason I decided against upgrading my Palm Pre. Instead, I'm getting a high capacity Palm Pre battery. (The other reason is that Android seems to be a bit 'high maintenance')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

neacy69 wrote: »
    media server 22%

This seem a bit odd although i dont have a galaxy S2...Do you know if this is an app?

Yeah actually, now that you mention it, I've never seen it before, not sure what it is but when I click it it says: CPU total 5 m 7 s...Keeps going up..but I've closed all aps..not sure?

Usually is either screen or android system at the top of the list using close to 30% each.

I'm running ke2.. Is that known for any battery issues?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

For me when ive got Data roaming or wifi on the battery dies within a day. When they are left off it lasts for way longer.

Do you leave wifi or data connection on the whole time?

For me when ive got Data roaming or wifi on the battery dies within a day. When they are left off it lasts for way longer.

Do you leave wifi or data connection on the whole time?

Hi, well, if wifi is connected, will the phone auto shut off data connection?

I do have wifi always on, as I'm pretty much always in range of wifi..had it always on using the desire hd too, always got a day and a half out of it..I was under the impression the sgs2 battery performance was just as good, if not better than the desire hd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭eggy81

Android system looks a bit high too though.should be down around 5% I think and media server too.both are issues that need looking into and will probably solve it for you.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Android system looks a bit high too though.should be down around 5% I think and media server too.both are issues that need looking into and will probably solve it for you.

5%:eek: that would make some difference alright, what do you suggest I do? Thanks

Edit, are you confusing android system with android os? Android os is only using 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I have a Galaxy S I, and I am running Gingerbread 2.3.3.
    These are my stats

Display (auto) 36%
    Cell Standby 20%
    Facebook 11%
    Google Services 5%
    Android OS 4%
    Android System 4%

batman2000 wrote: »
    I have a Galaxy S I, and I am running Gingerbread 2.3.3.
    These are my stats

Display (auto) 36%
    Cell Standby 20%
    Facebook 11%
    Google Services 5%
    Android OS 4%
    Android System 4%

Any idea why my android system reading is so high?
    On the other hand, my cell standby is only 7%..

eggy81 wrote: »

5%:eek: that would make some difference alright, what do you suggest I do? Thanks

Edit, are you confusing android system with android os? Android os is only using 3%
    I had these issues with my desire hd when I first got it.started a couple of days after I first got it.battery only lasting four hours and Android OS at 35% and stuff.I got around it by uninstalling downloaded apps one by one until I figured out which one was causing issues.also any app that updates automatically reduce frequency in app settings,turn off backround data when not in market and turn off auto sync.also big widgets on your home screen which auto update and have animation in them suck battery.
    Get 2 days from battery now on gingerbread.should be better for sgs2 users no with better hardare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As above its something your using that auto updates that seems to be causing the drain, something like a weather or news app that has a widget set to update every 30 seconds or something, turn off background data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

My Android OS is 11% this morning. I've seen it above 20% on some days.

There's loads of threads on XDA discussing high Android OS usage. I'd have the so called 'bug' going by my high %.

Yet I'd normally get two days out of my S2 and I'd use the phone a lot during those two days.

Currently running the leaked firmware KG3 at the moment, going to KG6 later this morning

My Android OS is 11% this morning. I've seen it above 20% on some days.

There's loads of threads on XDA discussing high Android OS usage. I'd have the so called 'bug' going by my high %.

Yet I'd normally get two days out of my S2 and I'd use the phone a lot during those two days.

Currently running the leaked firmware KG3 at the moment, going to KG6 later this morning
    Noticed myself that when my Android OS is very low like 1 or 2 % things like dialer and cell standby can be bit higher than normal.not sure if this is co-incidence or what but I've noticed more than once.id say they must affect each other.

draffodx wrote: »
    As above its something your using that auto updates that seems to be causing the drain, something like a weather or news app that has a widget set to update every 30 seconds or something, turn off background data.

Only have a couple of apps installed, I do have a weather widget but have it set to update every couple of hours.

When you say turn off background data, do you mean turn off wifi and mobile network?

I'm currently running KE2, if I try to update firmware via the phone it tells me all up to date, yet I know KE7 was released some time ago..do I have to download kies to my net book and hook the phone up to it via USB to get this update? I have read it improves battery life.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Hi, well, if wifi is connected, will the phone auto shut off data connection?

I do have wifi always on, as I'm pretty much always in range of wifi..had it always on using the desire hd too, always got a day and a half out of it..I was under the impression the sgs2 battery performance was just as good, if not better than the desire hd?

Your data connection is automatically switched off when you have a wifi connection.
    What wifi sleep policy do you use, if it is always on, then your wifi is probably using more battery than needed, if it is only on when screen is on, then your mobile data connection will reconnect when your screen is off, unless you have it manually switched off with the widget.

The Background data sync that I thinnk eggy is referring to is in Settings > Accounts and Sync

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'm currently running KE2, if I try to update firmware via the phone it tells me all up to date, yet I know KE7 was released some time ago..

They are on KG6 now :D

To be fair everyone on a gs2 is going to have different battery usage, depending on usage/ROM/apps/kernel/synch etc. if I use mine really heavily I get about 8-10 hours out of it, lightly I've gotten 3.5 days, average usage I still get over a day.

Media server shouldn't be that high unless you were playing music/videos (which you said you weren't) so I'd say look into whats running and why.

I havent used the following, but I've seen it mentioned numerous times on XDA to check what is running in the background and causing battery drain or wakelocks, it seems to be more detailed than the battery usage on the S2.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809
    You may be interested in checking it out.

Also if you are not using any of the Samsung hubs or pre-installed apps then freeze (or uninstall) them with Titanium Backup or Bloat Freezer, otherwise they constantly run in the background draining battery. I used them to remove everything I didnt use hubs, kobo etc and noticed a decent increase in batterylife.

Hope that helps some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I bought a couple of cheap replacement batteries on ebay for €15 that I carry in my wallet so that I don't have to go through all the hassle of changing settings. I want to be able to use my smartphone to the max and for the sake of 30 seconds to change the battery at my convenience it's worth it.

It's just like driving down the country and having to fill up along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

On the other hand, my cell standby is only 7%..

Android system being high is a bug in android, so not even samsung is to blame. Or at least this was the issue on the SGS, but since it's an android issue, I presume it's the same.

Flash a custom rom to fix.

(I found my problem went away when I manually uninstalled samsung OTA update software that was lurking on my phone, but this is anecdotal and YMMV.)

Also with a 4.3 inch screen, expect your battery to die if you use it for more than 2 or 3 hours per cycle. Mine does anyway.

Just to update this, problem solved!

Connected to kies and updated to the latest firmware- huge difference.
    Funny thing is though, Android system is now hogging even more @43%!

Phone came off charge over 3 hours ago, have wifi on, background data and 3 mail accounts updating every hour, screen brightness on full and a live wallpaper running and @ 95%..actually just changed to 94 there, but huge improvement .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Also seeing the high Android OS usage - my stats:

Android OS 50%
    Display 19% - have it on the auto brightness setting
    Android system 13%
    Maps 10%
    Call standby 3%
    Phone Idle 4$

Has been off charge about 2 hours and on 99% battery

I'm running Lightening 4.2 ROM and have latitude, data syncing, email and tweetdeck all running.

Regular usage gets me at least a day now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have a similar problem guys. Bought a Samsung galaxy mini last wednesday, like the phone but yesterday (6 days after I bought it) the battery has been going down at an astonishing rate. Thought it could have been a one off thing, but last night I turned off all GPS/wifi and charged it fully during the night. Then today it lasted FOUR HOURS before the battery went. In the space of that time, I sent 3 texts and did not make one call or use any apps, didnt have any wifi or anything turned on.

Anyone know what is the matter? Surely it must be a dodgy battery? Since this has happened, I have noticed when the phone is charging it gets incredibly hot, nearly too hot to hold for too long (comfortably anyways). The battery usage is Cell Standy 49% and Phone Idle 49%, haven't got much of a clue as this is my first android phone. Any advice guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭G1032

Its a GB bug. Easily fixed if you root and delete the files that cause the bug. Or flash a custom ROM and that'll take care of it for you........
    Check out the XDA website for more info........
    I have a SGS so can't offer any advice for GS2 custom ROMs

I've significantly improved my battery usage with two apps. The first is betterBatteryStats. What it tells you that insignificant is about Wakelocks. These are events that cause your phone to generate activity when it is not active and that can consume a lot of CPU processing and battery.

I discovered that my battery was being eaten up by location services so I disabled that. My battery went up from being barely 7 hours to 24 - 36 with significant use.

The second app is 2xbattery which operates, I think, better than juice defender in managing data connectivity. I'm not sure about it as I used it in conjunction with the first so I can't really say but the difference now is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I discovered that my battery was being eaten up by location services so I disabled that. My battery went up from being barely 7 hours to 24 - 36 with significant use.

When you say location services, what exactly are you referring to?

ChRoMe wrote: »
    When you say location services, what exactly are you referring to?

I turned off AGPS. I now only turn it on when an app requests it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I turned off AGPS. I now only turn it on when an app requests it.

Do you mean 'use wireless networks' in Location and security?

Advertisement