Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to bridge two buildings 10 KM apart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Some friends and I are using ubiquiti nanostations for our group broadband setup, they're very good. Can't comment on the longer range stuff but these have been excellent for our ~4km connections. They're easy to set up and very reliable, we have stable connections even in the worst weather.

https://www.wifiking.com/en/ubiquiti-networks/nanostation/2-4-ghz/ubiquiti-nanostation-m2-loco-2-4ghz-8dbi-mimo-nsm2l/a-10608/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

mossieh wrote: »
    Some friends and I are using ubiquiti nanostations for our group broadband setup, they're very good. Can't comment on the longer range stuff but these have been excellent for our ~4km connections. They're easy to set up and very reliable, we have stable connections even in the worst weather.

https://www.wifiking.com/en/ubiquiti-networks/nanostation/2-4-ghz/ubiquiti-nanostation-m2-loco-2-4ghz-8dbi-mimo-nsm2l/a-10608/

Awesome. What kind of throughput are you getting off this ? Latency is good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

dbit wrote: »
    Awesome. What kind of throughput are you getting off this ? Latency is good ?
    Am away at the moment so don't have figures to hand but from a practical point of view, there are no noticeable latency issues. I have three hops between me and our dsl connection totalling 12km. I use it for work over a vpn with a voip phone, it's perfect. Streaming, lan gaming, online gaming, all good. It feels no different to having ethernet between us tbh. Very impressive tech for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Check out the Mikrotik Sextant 5ghz, you'll need expert networking knowledge to configure but there are guides if you google. 10kms could be really pushing things though, you'd need a 24db mesh for that to get any sort of decent bandwidth.
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/sextant-5hpnd-nanobracket-sextant-p-1610.html

Check out the Mikrotik Sextant 5ghz, you'll need expert networking knowledge to configure but there are guides if you google. 10kms could be really pushing things though, you'd need a 24db mesh for that to get any sort of decent bandwidth.
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/sextant-5hpnd-nanobracket-sextant-p-1610.html

Yeah was looking at the HAK5 mesh they built on Pineapples and yaggi antenna's ( Used to use them back in the mmds days )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What kind of speeds are you looking for?

Is it a densely populated area?

Do you have clear Line Of Sight?

For 50Mbps to 70Mbps a couple of Ubiquiti Powerbeam M5 400 could be fine in a clean clear setup.

Let me know what you need and the answers above and I can recommend something. I have 50Mbps to my home over 20km link and just installed a 4km link which claims a capacity of 700Mbps yet to be tested though :D

Wow lads unreal help here thanks to all posters , really amazed so many people are at this type of group broadband scheme. I really am researching this for an ex colleague who lives around 5-6 KM outside of macroom and can see roof tops of fiber connected homes . The suggestion has been now put to him that if he asks nicely and offers to pay half of someones bill ( If He knows a family in that area) that this is a possible solution for him . I didnt have a clue on what type of gear to look at . Speeds, for him would be anything better than 1 MB lolz. Two gamers in the home ( Latency important) so would have to set up his network segment upon dmz of the efiber subscriber, im guessing so that we can then use router and firewall in his home hanging off the wifi transciever ?

Villain wrote: »
    What kind of speeds are you looking for?

Is it a densely populated area?

Do you have clear Line Of Sight?

For 50Mbps to 70Mbps a couple of Ubiquiti Powerbeam M5 400 could be fine in a clean clear setup.

Let me know what you need and the answers above and I can recommend something. I have 50Mbps to my home over 20km link and just installed a 4km link which claims a capacity of 700Mbps yet to be tested though :D

What kind of speeds are you looking for? Anything around 20MB and he would be over the moon

Is it a densely populated area? source - yes - destination no.

Do you have clear Line Of Sight? There would have to be really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What kind of speeds are you looking for? Anything around 20MB and he would be over the moon

Is it a densely populated area? source - yes - destination no.

Do you have clear Line Of Sight? There would have to be really ?
    Well clear LOS and clear fresnel zone is required but some trees etc can be overcome with larger antennas etc.

You should be able to achieve 20MB easily at that distance once you can find some clean channels.

Two PowerBeam M5 400 should do it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-PBE-M5-400-PowerBeam-Router/dp/B00HXT8JTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428655719&sr=8-1&keywords=powerbeam+m5

If they wanted to get up to 80MB then two Rocket M5 radios with Rocket Dishes would do it but they are larger and more expensive.

Cracker lads had nothing up to this post !.

• Advertisement

any where in ireland to source a good Parabolic Antenna 2.4GHz 24dBi ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

any where in ireland to source a good Parabolic Antenna 2.4GHz 24dBi ??

http://wirelessconnect.eu

I don't think you should use 2.4ghz, it'll not work well unless you're transmitting completely in the mountains, it will pick up interference from household Wi-Fi routers.

http://wirelessconnect.eu

I don't think you should use 2.4ghz, it'll not work well unless you're transmitting completely in the mountains, it will pick up interference from household Wi-Fi routers.

Thanks for that Mass , Ye this item is not intended for the 10KM link but as i have gotten some great advice here i thought i would ask , its for welll ammmm well agggggghhh you know .

Advertisement