Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

How has the M1 SB been during the morning rush hours so far this week? Much improved?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think we've the problem that's occurred when other schemes have opened around this time of year - its impossible to tell as the schools are off and people are on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

BMJD wrote: »
    How has the M1 SB been during the morning rush hours so far this week? Much improved?
    MYOB wrote: »
    I think we've the problem that's occurred when other schemes have opened around this time of year - its impossible to tell as the schools are off and people are on holiday.

I don't use the M1 SB in the morning, however NB evening Traffic movement is massively improved compared to last week, there is no slow down what so ever compared to the constant tailbacks that occurred every day between J2 to J4, also the Slip at J4 has flowed much better since it has reverted back to two lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

spotted 120km sign on northbound just past airways turn off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

MrTime wrote: »
    spotted 120km sign on northbound just past airways turn off

Airport turnoff?

If so that must be the first stretch of D3 in Ireland with 120kph.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Quickelles wrote: »
    Airport turnoff?

Airside.

Airways is santry at turnapin lane iirc which is not on the M1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Airport turnoff?

A small stretch of the N2 (where you have 3 lanes and it doesn't feel like an aux lane) has a 120kmh speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

my apologies
    airside retail / business park
    or Drynam exit, J3

one sign only at left side
    does that mean a reminder only rather than start of a limit

A small stretch of the N2 (where you have 3 lanes and it doesn't feel like an aux lane) has a 120kmh speed limit.

Forgot about bit; ironically not a motorway stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BMJD wrote: »

Last week it was much improved on the week before it, both ways

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is this officially finished now or are there still works going on at Lissenhall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

MrTime wrote: »
    my apologies
    airside retail / business park
    or Drynam exit, J3

one sign only at left side
    does that mean a reminder only rather than start of a limit

120 speed limit signs seen anywhere else from J2 to J4?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

There is a 120 kph sign directly under J2 airport interchange...that is in between the two overbridges that form the interchange. Defo one as you come down the slip from the airport and join the motorway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm trying to establish a finish date for this but there doesn't seem to be one. Are there still works going on at Lissenhall does anyone know? Can't see in the traffic cam views as the M1 is blanked out for some time now (maybe they ruptured a cable during the works).

Passed through about three days ago and there was nothing going on - everything looks finished.

Major work on the R132 south of the Airport Roundabout; they seem to be building a six-lane DC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Major work on the R132 south of the Airport Roundabout; they seem to be building a six-lane DC!

And it's giving the M1 Upgrade a run for its money in the slowest roadworks ever. They've been at that for what seems like years at this stage and it can't be more than a mile long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was in Donabate yesterday driving from M50 to M1 and the road seemed finished (3 lanes each way to the Donabate turnoff) and a new free flow dedicated lane from Hearse Road back onto M1. Was impressed with the finished works!

And it's giving the M1 Upgrade a run for its money in the slowest roadworks ever. They've been at that for what seems like years at this stage and it can't be more than a mile long.
    Originally programmed to be finished August 2013. So no chance of that then!

spacetweek wrote: »
    Originally programmed to be finished August 2013. So no chance of that then!

From what I saw I be wondering which August!

So... hows this holding up now that the schools are back?

Noticed on AARoadwatch that there were increased queues through Drumcondra... is that connected or just coincidence this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It always seems to follow that when you relieve one bottleneck it just gets the traffic quicker to the next bottleneck so I wouldn't be surprised if Whitehall to Drumcondra is a complete nightmare from now on. Short of building an underground road I don't see how they could relieve the congestion around this area? Of course, proper park and ride facilities at all main entry points to the City from it's arterial roads would help if the public transport options were plentiful, reliable and cheap but that ain't going to happen either.

Have the roadworks started at the Cat & Cage yet? If so, that would explain the delays in and around Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

Have the roadworks started at the Cat & Cage yet? If so, that would explain the delays in and around Drumcondra

Yes but apart from a footpath closure, I don't think they're affecting traffic at all.

LFCFan wrote: »
    Of course, proper park and ride facilities at all main entry points to the City from it's arterial roads would help if the public transport options were plentiful, reliable and cheap but that ain't going to happen either.
    Oversimplified. P&R isn't great either as you still have lots of traffic coming in and out of the car park (and getting to it from surrounding areas) and passengers have to pay parking charges as well as everything else.
    The best way to do it is to not have cars involved at any stage, so people should be living near train stations. Build the Metro to Swords, extend the DART to Balbriggan, and encourage people to live near the new stations. Sorted.

Oversimplified. P&R isn't great either as you still have lots of traffic coming in and out of the car park (and getting to it from surrounding areas) and passengers have to pay parking charges as well as everything else.
    The best way to do it is to not have cars involved at any stage, so people should be living near train stations. Build the Metro to Swords, extend the DART to Balbriggan, and encourage people to live near the new stations. Sorted.

Sorry if my sarcasm detector isn't working and that post was a joke but you claim the previous post was oversimplifying things then you say everyone should live beside a train station. Swords is a pretty big town so how will everyone live beside the train station?

passengers have to pay parking charges as well as everything else.

Not necessarily. It is pure and simple money grabbing for example to charge €4 per day for the Luas P&Rs. People wouldn't mind paying €1 per day, say, but €4 is €20 per week and coupled with Luas fares, it gets too pricey.

Having say, a €2 Luas return + P&R fare (plus bigger carparks) would encourage way more people to park + ride.

IMO, you shouldn't have to FORCE people out of their cars, you should make it so damn attractive and easy to park + ride or use public transport of some sort, that they WANT to get out of their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The best way to do it is to not have cars involved at any stage, so people should be living near train stations.

Fine for a few people, but realistically most people are not going to live near railways, or else the train is going to have to stop everywhere.

Ireland has singularly failed either to provide park and ride facilities or feeder bus services. This "purist" idea that everyone should walk to the railway station and damn those that don't has made public transport largely irrelevant. You could live (say) on the North side of Drogheda and you might as well drive to Dublin or else face a 30 minute walk at either end of your rail journey.

ardmacha wrote: »
    You could live (say) on the North side of Drogheda and you might as well drive to Dublin or else face a 30 minute walk at either end of your rail journey.
    Yes, you would of course need feeder buses for situations like that.
    Sorry if my sarcasm detector isn't working and that post was a joke but you claim the previous post was oversimplifying things then you say everyone should live beside a train station. Swords is a pretty big town so how will everyone live beside the train station?
    No sarcasm! Most people would be near the station as 3 will be provided. With feeder buses and bicycles everyone else could get there easily.
    IMO, you shouldn't have to FORCE people out of their cars, you should make it so damn attractive and easy to park + ride or use public transport of some sort, that they WANT to get out of their cars.
    I don't think I fully agree with that. When someone is engaging in destructive behaviour (and driving everywhere in a city is destructive), you've some leeway in forcing them to stop.
    We didn't make it attractive for people to stop smoking in bars and go outside, we just made it the law.
    That said I accept that we need to encourage more cycling and provide feeder buses.
    It probably would have helped to have the M1 Airport-Balbriggan be 6 lanes from day 1 too as it was obvious it would need it being such a crucial route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I don't think I fully agree with that. When someone is engaging in destructive behaviour (and driving everywhere in a city is destructive), you've some leeway in forcing them to stop.
    We didn't make it attractive for people to stop smoking in bars and go outside, we just made it the law.

We bloody did make smoking outside attractive! Have you seen the smoking areas in the trendier bars up and down the country, made specifically to keep people smoking on the premesis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Not necessarily. It is pure and simple money grabbing for example to charge €4 per day for the Luas P&Rs. People wouldn't mind paying €1 per day, say, but €4 is €20 per week and coupled with Luas fares, it gets too pricey.

Having say, a €2 Luas return + P&R fare (plus bigger carparks) would encourage way more people to park + ride.

Blackash P&R in Cork is a fiver to park and return bus.
    http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/blackashparkandride/

Unsure if the 5er covers all occupants of a car or pp

Advertisement