Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

cargo wrote: »

Post #633 (dont know how to quote post number directly)

I knew "someone" had linked to them a while ago :) and I could remember having to really zoom up the drawings (drawing #2 in that pdf) and going squared eyed trying to trace the lanedrop..

but yeah it's dropped at the junction and only 2 lanes continue past the junction although the surface will be widened past the junction, probably for the reason mentioned by spaceweek.

The "revised" drawings of the junction overhead (post #891 above) shows (and its a recently revised drawing) just 2 lanes continuing past the junction with no drop or merge in the vicinity of the junction but it only shows a few metres before the onramp so doesn't show the full extend/detail of the drop. (but confirms no merge after the junction)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Frankly amazed to see this still going on....Passed by a year ago and it's still bloody building :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Noticed an increase in activity up on the overhead of the Donabate junction today and yesterday.

They are adding the central barrier NB on the final mainline section today. Only starting into it but NB and SB should be done in the next few days. See camera shot in #894 above. Already halfway along NB since this am.

I would also think we are heading for a lane change this weekend (usually on the Friday pm i.e tonight) as they have removed all the temporary steel barriers from the Esturary bridge onwards heading SB all the way to the new section and they have in the past few days laid the final wearing layer along here also. I'd think traffic will be pushed over into the new lane 3 & old 2 to allow the rest to be planed and HS works to progress. It wont be for the entire length of the bridge as there's still filling dumped on it waiting to go inbetween the new barrier they are laying so the lanechange will happen after this area.

They have also ramped up the SB HS works.

• Advertisement

As I suspected new arrangements on the final mainline section although I only travelled NB so not sure if the SB is similar. You now travel on L3 & L2 right up to the final few metres of the works. (could even be the full length of the works as it's hard to tell where the final lanedrop point is at the minute with all the cones, barriers etc.)

As is obvious from the new lane arrangements outline the NB central barrier is completed so they will be turning around the machine in the am and starting on the SB wall. This will then allow them to start backfilling in between the central section and get rid of all the dirt they have stockpilled everywhere.

Actually now that i think of it there may be a delay on the SB wall as they had to remove a large 4m x 4m patch out of the new SB L3 at one point so they may have to fill this back in before the wall can pass. Hopefully though they can get the barrier completed while these patching works are ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

The malahide estuary bridge is finished more or less, and as said about you now drive on the outer two lanes all the way through the works which is freeing up the jam at the airport already
    Roll on the completion date

sk8board wrote: »
    The malahide estuary bridge is finished more or less, and as said about you now drive on the outer two lanes all the way through the works which is freeing up the jam at the airport already
    Roll on the completion date

NB only at the minute. They still haven't started the central barrier on the SB side and that "patch" is still removed. It can be seen on camera 113 in the daylight.

Yeah cant wait until they have 3 lanes open on the section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Just been informed by someone in work that it was announced on the radio this morning that this project is delayed by another two months, with a completion date of end of May.

Cant find a reference to it just yet online

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

sgarvan wrote: »
    Just been informed by someone in work that it was announced on the radio this morning that this project is delayed by another two months, with a completion date of end of May.

Cant find a reference to it just yet online

Sounds about right. There is still a good bit left to be done and it's being progressed at quite a slow rate. I wouldn't be surprised if it drifts further into the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

That's ridculous. I've never seen such a small length of road take so long to do. By the time this is complete the schools and colleges will be done for the summer and there will no real noticable improvement and it will be September before we see the real benefit of the upgrade!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Kumsheen wrote: »
    Sounds about right. There is still a good bit left to be done and it's being progressed at quite a slow rate. I wouldn't be surprised if it drifts further into the summer.

Which Summer? 2013 2014? :pac:

bunch of clowns taking this long...lots of people annoyed in Donabate about this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Mail sent to Fingal CoCo Roads dept to get confirmation of the completion due date, hopefully a reply comes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Probably time I posted something here...

Looking at the traffic cams (Cam #113), it appears that the Southbound RCB is almost completed - at least on approach to the Lissenhall Interchange. It also appears (also on #113) that the Southbound on-ramp is going to be lengthened (as well as widened) looking at the way that both the ramp and mainline Southbound carriageway are shaping up. The M1 Southbound lanes are seemingly being pushed in by more than a lane width - suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens there. The Southbound verge works are progressing nicely as per Cam #112...

I really don't think this job is too far off completion now - I'd say a lot is pending on the weather temperatures as much of the work is down to the wearing course - AFAIK, a minimum of 8 deg' C is what's required to properly lay certain types of wearing courses.

Regards!

PS. I forgot about the gantries :o, but I don't think they take very long to erect - again, we'll just have to wait and see...

I have to ask, seriously, when they were building the road originally and leaving room for later expansion did they still bury all the services close to the carriageway? They seem to have had to do a ridiculous amount of excavation and re-burying for what I would have thought should have been a case of removing some soil and tarmacking over.

I have to ask, seriously, when they were building the road originally and leaving room for later expansion did they still bury all the services close to the carriageway? They seem to have had to do a ridiculous amount of excavation and re-burying for what I would have thought should have been a case of removing some soil and tarmacking over.

:eek: Forward planning! We're in Ireland....:D

Southbound RCB finished yesterday. Hopefully on Monday they'll get on with filling inbetween the two RCB with all the muck and dirt they have been stockpilling along the other parts of the upgrade. They've taken away a lot of the steel barriers as well that were lying around in the "storage area" along this works section.

That big patch they removed on the new SB lane is still waiting to be repaired though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

Has anyone been able to confirm the completion date?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

sk8board wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to confirm the completion date?
    NRA told me the helpful date of q2,2013....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The mainline northbound is close to finished, the outer lanes continue beyond the junction now.

• Advertisement

Still the slowest upgrade I have ever witnessed!

The mainline northbound is close to finished, the outer lanes continue beyond the junction now.

I travelled it the other day and the layout had shifted to use the two outer lanes and they indeed continued past the junction but they had closed original L1 to do HS works. There was a lot of concrete piping stocked up waiting for drainage works. have they that completed and L1 reopen (i.e 3 Lanes in operation) or are the HS works still ongoing?

cargo wrote: »
    I travelled it the other day and the layout had shifted to use the two outer lanes and they indeed continued past the junction but they had closed original L1 to do HS works. There was a lot of concrete piping stocked up waiting for drainage works. have they that completed and L1 reopen (i.e 3 Lanes in operation) or are the HS works still ongoing?

Lanes 2 & 3 are opened but Lane 1 is still closed for HS works, I'd say there's another couple of months in it at the speed they are going....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

No update here in a while...

SB all three lanes are complete, resurfaced (including old lane 1 and 2) and fully marked now from the south of the Estuary bridge to on ramp at Airside.

Currently back on the 'old' lane 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

This is the slowest piece of public works I've seen in a long time, it's seriously ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

dutopia wrote: »
    This is the slowest piece of public works I've seen in a long time, it's seriously ridiculous.

You obviously haven't been watching the progress of the N2-N3 link road or the upgrade of the old Airport road from the graveyard...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

You obviously haven't been watching the progress of the N2-N3 link road or the upgrade of the old Airport road from the graveyard...!!!

Haven't seen those, but thanks for making me more depressed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Two reasons for the sloth-like roadworks.

1. It costs less working 9 to 5.

2. It gives the impression of infrastructural work going on - no political bang for your buck if you start and finish in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

They are laying tarmac on greenfield site, it's not like they are blasting away rock to pave way for a new lane. It's like how many kilometres, 5km? It's really slow and it should of been 3 lanes each way when it was built. Traffic was always going to be much higher around Swords anyway. It should be 3 lanes each way to Balbriggan.

• Advertisement

Electronic Signs up saying the road will be closed northbound & southbound from April 2nd to 5th between 10pm & 6am

Advertisement