Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honest Assessment

Options
  • 29-12-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Long story cut short, I've been abroad for years and want to come back home to Ireland.
    I would really appreciate an honest assessment of the education market at secondary level.
    Have things improved since 2008 for non-core subjects?
    When are schools most likely to interview?
    With a proven track record and QTS, is it possible to be employed in a secondary school?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I'm a primary teacher so things may be slightly different. I was abroad for five years and decided I would move back last summer just gone. I knew things would be tough but I didn't anticipate how dire things really are. Things have significantly improved in the private sector but things are yet to improve in the public sector. I am most likely going to go abroad again this summer for another few years until things improve. Another thing to keep in mind is housing. It is impossible to find accommodation at the minute in Dublin and it is also a ridiculous price, obviously if you'll be based somewhere else then not a problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For secondary, I think a lot depends on your subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

For secondary, I think a lot depends on your subjects.

And your expectations of a full time position versus part time/subbing.

What are your subjects OP and what part of the country would you be returning to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Creature32

Thanks for your help.
    Music and English, I don't mind part time work at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I think it would be difficult to get a many hours with music as not all schools offer it as a subject.
    English on the other hand would be better.
    Honestly though, you can expect to get very low hours for the next number of years and go from school to school.
    With the new S+S and sick leave arrangements, there is a lot less subbing available.
    Maternity leaves do come up too, so keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Music is very difficult to get hours in and even harder to get a position with any security in as it is usually only one teacher per schools at most and in many cases they will also be teaching a second subject. I have music and did not teach it until I had been out and qualified for 5/6 years. Even then it was a complete accident as it was introduced into the school I was teaching in.

From my experience (anectodally-I'm not an English teacher) with English it is a similar situation but because of massive over subscription. There are three part time English teachers in my school, not one of them have hours of their own. That was the case in other schools I worked in too. However positions (non permanent) will arise more often than music due to the sheer quantity of English teachers required compared to music. The flip side is there are tons more qualified English teachers out there.

Thank you so much for your help so far.

These are a fair few advertisements on educationposts.ie. Just wondering, what time of year will the interviews "pick up" for September?

Any suggestions for alternative work would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I did this last year and it is stressful leaving one job without having the security of another, but I needed to take the plunge.

Are you registered with the Teaching Council in Ireland? It's essential and registration can take awhile, especially if you need police checks abroad. It might be one thing you could get sorter before you get home if you aren't already registered.

I've found that adverts and interviews are most common in June and August with a dip in July when management goes on holidays

Aunt Aggie, I'm currently registering...should take up to 12 weeks which is approximately when I want to return.

Thanks so much for your reply, glad to know I'm not the only one returning. Do you mind me asking, what did you do in between jobs? Did you have any interviews with strong reactions of you coming from abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Creature32 wrote: »
    Aunt Aggie, I'm currently registering...should take up to 12 weeks which is approximately when I want to return.

Thanks so much for your reply, glad to know I'm not the only one returning. Do you mind me asking, what did you do in between jobs? Did you have any interviews with strong reactions of you coming from abroad?

As it happened, I got an interview last June and work facilitated me going back for it. I know its not something everyone can do but I'm glad I could because I got the job. It's only maternity leave and I'm actually preparing for the job hunt again.

There were also several interviews that I had to turn down very soon after getting this position. So from my experience, schools had no problems with my moving back from another education system. There are at least four other teachers in my school who have taught abroad in the last few years.

I should point out that I teach Maths which is always somewhat in demand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement