Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCC Arts International subjects

• 12-07-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, I'm hopefully stating first year in UCC doing Arts International
    I know I want to study French and Spanish and I think I would also be very interested in History of Art, but I haven't a clue about my fourth subject!

I thought perhaps English, purely because I used to do very well in English in secondary but I don't feel i have any great interest in it, and I'm not sure if I'd be able for a lot of heavy reading.

I also thought of Religions and Global Diversity because it sounds really interesting but I have no experience of anything like it

if anybody has any feedback on these subjects or any experience of other subjects that'd be great, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grainne_r

Hey I have just finished my first year of Arts International and I did Religion. In my opinion religion is a fairly easy going subject. There was no exam the course consisted of completing 2 essays, a group presentation and a weekly journal. I will be honest and say I didn't go to all of my lectures yet it was the subject I got the highest mark in at the end of the year. The subject can be interesting and raise different opinions however it can also be kind of boring. There is a window of time at the beginning of the year where you can change your subject in case you absolutely loathe it so just maybe take a chance? You might like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dozydora

English is a tough subject and takes up a lot of time. Unless you are already brilliant at Spanish and French I really would not go there as with the three subjects you have already chosen I think you could do with something a little less time consuming as your fourth subject. I chose Spanish, Chinese, English and Geography in first year. I had never done Spanish nor Chinese before so they took up an amount of time and that with English was just too much. Added to this when it came to choosing my subjects in second year, because I found both Spanish and Chinese so difficult I had no alternative but to keep on English with Geography. I did manage to get my degree (just finished this year) but I think I could have made my life a little easier if I had been wiser in my subject choice in the beginning. Having said all of this I really enjoyed English. I had the most amazing lecturers both in english and geography but I was never going to be a 'star' in English, such was the standard. If you feel you excel at english go for it but substitute one of your other subjects for something a little less demanding. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JustWondering.

thanks so much, I think I will go for Religion with French Spanish and Art Histroy :-)
    I think english would be a bit too much for me as I dont have a huge interest and if Spanish and french are as time consuming as you think, but that said I'm not worried about them as I have quite good french an spanish.. thanks again!

Advertisement