Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bang on 50 days until the big kick off now lads!

18 until the Hall of Fame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »
    Bang on 50 days until the big kick off now lads!

Its a torturous wait. Even more so when your team doesn't make the playoffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Here's an interesting graph I came across, which details the amount of arrests per team since 2000.

4RFRct.jpg
    As a Jets fan, it is depressing to, yet again, see us languishing near the bottom of the table....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A long overdue move imo and a step in the right direction regarding player safety and for quicker, more effective sideline treatment.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/07/17/players-emr-medical-records-online-ipads-concussions/2528111/

Brief overview.....
    By the start of the 2014 season, NFL physicians could have a player's entire medical history at their fingertips the moment he comes to the sideline with an injury..........

Eight teams — the Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, New York Giants, New York Jets and San Francisco 49ers — will participate in a pilot program that allows the results to be shot through the Internet into a player's electronic medical record (EMR).

If all goes well, as it did with beta testing of the iPads last season, complete electronic medical records (including baseline concussion assessments) could be in use and transferable between all 32 teams as a player moves via trades or free agency beginning next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

A long overdue move imo and a step in the right direction regarding player safety and for quicker, more effective sideline treatment.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/07/17/players-emr-medical-records-online-ipads-concussions/2528111/

Brief overview.....

To tie in to this the Lions have cut Jahvid Best. Very sad for the poor kid. 3 years of concussion issues

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218478/article/jahvid-best-cut-by-detroit-lions-after-three-seasons

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    To tie in to this the Lions have cut Jahvid Best. Very sad for the poor kid. 3 years of concussion issues

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218478/article/jahvid-best-cut-by-detroit-lions-after-three-seasons

Sad for the poor kid, but it had to be done unfortunately. 20 years ago he would have been used until he became a vegetable. Times have really changed, but it's only right to protect players who are at risk. It would be nice now to see the NFL take him on in an ambassador role, for player safety and concussion issues. But I think he first needs to accept the fact he'll never play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Fair play to the lions they kept him on so he could get his nfl pension

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Some more JJ Watt love!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgICz4I20c&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3WgICz4I20c

Most have probably already seen it at this stage but the guys a freak!

Von Miller has tested positive (once again). 4 game suspension although it is in the appeals process at the minute.
    @MikeKlis: According to NFL source, #Broncos LB Von Miller tested positive for amphetamines and marijuana during his rookie season of 2011.

@NFLDraftMonster: Von Miller is a phenomenal person, but he has a problem with marijuana use...

Great news for Ravens, Giants, Raiders and Eagles fans if the suspension sticks as they all play the Broncos in the first four weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why are they banned for smoking marijuana? I honestly don't get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

SantryRed wrote: »

Ya if anything is the opposite of performance inhancing like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Do we know that it was marijuana this time?

I think there'll be a move away punishing the use of it in sports. It's obviously been legalized in more places and wada recently raised the limit for a positive test so that out of competition use won't be punished.

SantryRed wrote: »

I'd imagine it's more so for the NFL image.

That guy is just barking mad.

Yes I know...

** gets coat **

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I won't be online this week, over in cali on my holiddays, but I will be at niners camp on Sunday and maybe the raiders another day so I'll post some photos and news if anything interesting pops up.
    let me know if there's anything specific you want asked to anyone at either team

^ ^ ^
    So smug is our Overlord Mod, that he decided to post that twice and really, really rub it in. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What a hero!!
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/24/titans-linebacker-jonathan-willard-pulls-family-from-burning-car/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

On a side note...
    Booking my trip in the next day or 2..

Fly to San Fran on Sat October 5th
    See Texans @ 9'ers (in the cheap seats!)
    Drive to Yosemite on Wednesday 9th, back to San fran on morning of 11th
    Fly to Seattle on the evening of the 11th.
    (hopefully to see the Huskies game on the Sat)
    Titans @ Sehawks on the Sunday
    Monday evening, fly to Vegas for a few days and home

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What section are you in for the niners game? May need some advice on my own tickets!!

Sounds like a great trip!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

adrian522 wrote: »
    What section are you in for the niners game? May need some advice on my own tickets!!

Sounds like a great trip!!

Havent booked yet but most likely upper 54, there seems to be a few in there available (endzone)

• Advertisement

Booking my trip in the next day or 2..

Fly to San Fran on Sat October 5th
    See Texans @ 9'ers (in the cheap seats!)
    Drive to Yosemite on Wednesday 9th, back to San fran on morning of 11th
    Fly to Seattle on the evening of the 11th.
    (hopefully to see the Huskies game on the Sat)
    Titans @ Sehawks on the Sunday
    Monday evening, fly to Vegas for a few days and home

Delighted for you.

* Throws Desktop through window *

Delighted for you.

* Throws Desktop through window *

always with the throwing stuff...

always with the throwing stuff...

Well at least I spared my monitor this time around.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Delighted for you.

* Throws DesktopiPad through window *

Practically ditto!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

According to Jerry Jones there are two teams that could move to LA. He also said it's very close to happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

According to Jerry Jones there are two teams that could move to LA. He also said it's very close to happening.

Charger or Rams. Its most likely going to bee the Rams. What is mad though neither the Chargers or Rams are willing to front a lot of money to build a stadium and want the cities to help out. LA apparently are not that interested in refurbishing the Colosseum or building a new stadium. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

TO. wrote: »
    Charger or Rams. Its most likely going to bee the Rams. What is mad though neither the Chargers or Rams are willing to front a lot of money to build a stadium and want the cities to help out. LA apparently are not that interested in refurbishing the Colosseum or building a new stadium. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

Is that not typical of NFL teams (the expectation that cities pay for a significant portion of the cost of the build)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Tristram wrote: »
    Is that not typical of NFL teams (the expectation that cities pay for a significant portion of the cost of the build)?

Ye the tax payer would pay for it.

Oakland would be another possibility, dont think the money is there for them to build a new stadium, but at least talks have been held.

Best guess that the Rams are in pole position then the Chargers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Tristram wrote: »

Yup but this day and age cities don't have the money to front the whole cost. Hence the problem both San Diego and St Louis are in.
    Oakland would be another possibility, dont think the money is there for them to build a new stadium, but at least talks have been held.

Wont be the Raiders as they are not allowed to because of Mark Davies share in the team. Other owners will block it.

Right now the Chargers could move in to LA as soon as next season and the Rams i think would be 2014 and the Jags can't as they have to prove 3 losing seasons something to do with clauses and as I said Raiders wont get a move sanctioned by other owners.

• Advertisement

Matt Ryan got paid. 5 years, $103m. $59m guaranteed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22890002/qb-matt-ryan-falcons-agree-to-5year-extension
    Matt Ryan is the latest young franchise quarterback to cash in. Ryan and the Falcons are finalizing a five-year contract extension that, a source tells CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman, is worth $103 million and includes $59 million in guaranteed money.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported the deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement