Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

The Penis mightier than the Sword
    but if you have 12", you might not always use it as rule ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mr NoTV wrote: »
    The Penis mightier than the Sword
    but if you have 12", you might not always use it as rule ... ;)

What about the Penis mightier than the sword, don't you have a story to tell about this character or not?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Ordinary non-rechargeable batteries can be recharged if you know how..

And that is NOT how.

It's just marketing for Duracell.

In the real world if you want to recharge alkaline batteries you can't do it with DC alone you need a little AC to depolarise. Something like 10:1 ratio between the forward and reverse current. (ie a high value resistor in parallel with the rectification diode)

Or use a charger that is specifically for Alkaline cells. You'll get about 30 charges, compared to 300 for normal rechargables.

Fact , the best NiMH rechargable batteries will hold almost as much charge as a Duracell alkaline single use battery. The voltage is lower but the best of todays rechargable batteries will hold charge for months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[QUOTE=44leto;77185241One nation changed, Sweden use to drive on the left but in 1967 they switched and joined the rest of the continent and drove on the right, cutting pedestrian accidents, it is safer to drive on the right.[/QUOTE]Actually by then most Swedish cars were imports from the neighbours who drove on the other side of the road. Which made overtaking particular dangerous. Rather than anything inherently safer about left vs. right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Actually by then most Swedish cars were imports from the neighbours who drove on the other side of the road. Which made overtaking particular dangerous. Rather than anything inherently safer about left vs. right.

I remember reading it was safer for pedestrians for countries that deive on the right, it has something to do periphery vision, its sharper on the right. I couldn't find a link earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Birds don't urinate or have bladders.

Captain Kirk never says "Beam me up, Scotty!".

William Shakespeare invented over 1700 words that are in common use today.
    (http://shakespeare-online.com/biography/wordsinvented.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

If you say gullible really slow, it sounds like oranges.

lmao wrote: »
    If you say gullible really slow, it sounds like oranges.

Yeah and I fell for that. :( But I will have the last laugh when the pyramid scheme i am in pays up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Russia, North Korea, South Korea And Vietnam have a combined military population that is larger then the rest of the worlds combined.

If Russia, North Korea and China combined forces then we would all be fooked.

Vietnam has a larger army than the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Sex Panther - 60% of the time it works..All the time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It's a silly thing to say anyway. More people in the US are killed by vending machines every year than by sharks. Does that mean a vending machine is more dangerous than a shark?

I'll take my chances against a vending machine in the sea than a shark anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

A child's got more bones than a grown up's got

(and that's a natural law)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Could you die from too much oxygen?

Yes. Oxygen toxicity can cause death.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Ordinary non-rechargeable batteries can be recharged if you know how..

No they can't.

This video is intended as humour, and the advice in it is utter nonsense.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

seamus wrote: »
    44leto wrote: »
    But you are still more likely to get injured using your stairs then your knife,,Or are you,, I would imagine more people are injured with kitchen knives then stairs, maybe I am wrong.
    I'd say it's about equal. I've stabbed myself with knives and fallen down the stairs roughly an equal number of times, I think.

U british?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Pressing ctrl+alt+down arrow makes your mouse faster.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Venus is also weird in that it rotates the opposite way to all the other planets.
    Mercury day's last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

djPSB wrote: »
    Pressing ctrl+alt+down arrow makes your mouse faster.

its amazing such a useful tip like this isn't more well known

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

CHealy wrote: »
    The island most of Cork city center is built on, Morrisons Island, is actually a marsh and many of Corks streets such as St.Patricks Street, Grande Parade, South Mall and many more used to be little canals, not too unlike Venice. In fact a boat docking post(where the rope is tied around) still exists on Grande Parade.

Properties on the South Mall still come with mooring rights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

danniemcq wrote: »
    its amazing such a useful tip like this isn't more well known

I only found out two months ago I didn't have to type www every time I enter a website address

Was using the internet for years and years before I read that here

Thanks boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

The placebo effect is probably the strangest thing that goes completely against the grain of logical thought. Pacemakers that were installed but never turned on restoring heart rhythm, fake knee operations that are as successful as real ones and (my favourite) a sugar pill that works even when you tell a patient it's only a sugar pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I only found out two months ago I didn't have to type www every time I enter a website address

Was using the internet for years and years before I read that here

Thanks boards

Sometimes you do, and sometimes you don't. It depends if the website has been set up so that www.website.com and website.com point to the same page. There's not many left that don't do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

bleg wrote: »
    The placebo effect is probably the strangest thing that goes completely against the grain of logical thought. Pacemakers that were installed but never turned on restoring heart rhythm, fake knee operations that are as successful as real ones and (my favourite) a sugar pill that works even when you tell a patient it's only a sugar pill.
    That's because you tell yourself that the placebo effect works and this sugar pill is a placebo so therefore this pill will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Only if you used an old theory of flight that didn't take into account vortex lift

In science and engineering when the theory doesn't match the facts you have to change the theory.

Gravity is just a theory,

and so is Intelligent Falling :pac:

What?:confused:

I don't really get the mocking undertone to your post? Did you read my post where I said they should not be able to fly? And afterwards explained why they were?:confused:

This thread has really gone down hill into people trying to feel superiorly intelligent than others. I've had 3 or 4 posts directed at one of mine where the question I was asking was already clarified 2 pages afterwards.:confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sindri wrote: »
    What?:confused:

I don't really get the mocking undertone to your post? Did you read my post where I said they should not be able to fly? And afterwards explained why they were?:confused:

This thread has really gone down hill into people trying to feel superiorly intelligent than others. I've had 3 or 4 posts directed at one of mine where the question I was asking was already clarified 2 pages afterwards.:confused::pac:

Your post was a big pile of rubbish.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1076/is-it-aerodynamically-impossible-for-bumblebees-to-fly
    The "science has proved that bees can't fly" urban myth originated in a 1934 book by entomologist Antoine Magnan, who discussed a mathematical equation by Andre Sainte-Lague, an engineer. The equation proved that the maximum lift for an aircraft's wings could not be achieved at equivalent speeds of a bee. I.e., an airplane the size of a bee, moving as slowly as a bee, could not fly. Although this did not mean a bee can't fly (which after all does not have stationary wings like the posited teency aircraft), nevertheless the idea that Magnan's book said bees oughtn't be able to fly began to spread.

bleg wrote: »
    The placebo effect
    Two placebos work better than one, and a saline injection is better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Sometimes you do, and sometimes you don't. It depends if the website has been set up so that www.website.com and website.com point to the same page. There's not many left that don't do this though.

All the ones I know of off hand are actually Irish :o

365 online, most government services sites.

There are 360 degrees in a circle 12 months in a year, 24 hours in a day 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute.

The reason for this is the Babylonian number system. It was based on three. Then everyone adopted the above and never changed it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Babylonian_numerals.svg/450px-Babylonian_numerals.svg.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction

Holy sh*t, that is kind of scary. But some would be crawling towards the end.

Advertisement