Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cleaners looking for more than minimum wage

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

We pay our cleaner just over one euro an hour.. Don't know how I'll ever go back to not having one. I think they should be paid more than minimum wage. Definitely one of the tougher jobs.

1 euro an hour, please post their phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

44leto wrote: »
    1 euro an hour, please post their phone number.

Dude lives in Thailand or some ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Well considering they have to pay for their own transport to and from your house they're not really charging that much, if it's something you can't afford then don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

bull**** question
    complain about the people on 'top dollar' not carrying their weight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Cleaners in Waterford Regional Hospital get more than the minimum wage, this is what was agreed between management and unions. There are three reasons they deserve it, first of all they do a good job, with poor resources, secondly, they get blamed in the media for dirty hospitals etc, when the problem is that they are given poor resources, (cleaning agents, mops, buffers etc) and they are blamed incorrectly for not cleaning human matter, when it is not their job. Lastly, they deserve more than the minimum wage just for the way people look down on them as if they are lesser people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Unless you're paying your cleaner for 40 hours a week and all the obligatory contributions on top of it, your point about minimum wage is moot.

On the other hand, if you're referring to people in full-term employment with a cleaning agency, the job is not a highly-qualified job and staff are easy enough to replace/retrain and I'd be surprised if many were on higher than minimum wage for the first years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

if someone was ironing for me i would not expect to pay any less than €10 per hour, a 2000w iron would use a fair bit of electricity alone if they where using it in there own home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Cleaners are free to look for more than minimum wage....
    You're free not to pay them more than minimum wage....

I can't fault anyone for (ethically) trying to act in their own best interest.

Keep in mind that most ads you see for cleaners are not full-time wages. There is down-time, travel, eqiupment, cleaning supplies, scheduling and all sorts of over-head associated with it. All things considered, they might still be at a minimum wage.

Advertisement