Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tralee Social Welfare Office

Options
  • 23-10-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the waiting times for Jobseekers Allowance are like in the social welfare office in Tralee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to State Benefits

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

Anyone know what the waiting times for Jobseekers Allowance are like in the social welfare office in Tralee?

I have been waiting 3 weeks now and am still waiting. Rang them, they say too busy and short of staff.

My last day at work was 23rd december 2011. Welfare office closed in Tralee until Thursday 29th, I only went in on Friday 30th as I did not know they opened Thursday, some people told me they would not open at all during xmas holidays, good thing I rang them.

Anyway, because I went there on December 30th they now say I am not entitled to my stamps since January 4th which is 5 days after... I know they have that law about 3 or 5 days (not sure whether its 3 or 5) but in the end they're taking a whole week off my stamps PLUS those official days based on the fact that I did not go there before Friday 30th when the only day I could have made it earlier would be Thursday 29th as that was the 1st day they opened after the xmas holidays.

Just wondering if there is any way I can appeal their decision... In actual fact, over the phone they said they hadn't reached a decision about me yet. I have been working for over 10 years and when I'm made redundant they're still not sure whether I am entitled or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Have you applied for jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance. In your post it says jobseekers allowance which is means tested.

eastbono wrote: »
    Have you applied for jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance. In your post it says jobseekers allowance which is means tested.
    I think youre referring to the op original poster I just threw in my 2 cents I should be getting benefit sorry if I intruded but I could not see any other post about TrAlee

rupamede wrote: »
    I think youre referring to the op original poster I just threw in my 2 cents I should be getting benefit sorry if I intruded but I could not see any other post about TrAlee

Ok was trying to post reply but wouldnt take grrr.

My advice to you is appeal this decision as the office should have been open on 24th dec and 28th dec. If they refuse this appeal... ask for the name and number of their regional manager as they should have been open on the days I mentioned. Obviously your first day of unemployment is 24th dec so payment would only be from 27th... but you are entitled to those days.

• Advertisement

rupamede wrote: »

Ok was trying to post reply but wouldnt take grrr.

My advice to you is appeal this decision as the office should have been open on 24th dec and 28th dec. If they refuse this appeal... ask for the name and number of their regional manager as they should have been open on the days I mentioned. Obviously your first day of unemployment is 24th dec so payment would only be from 27th... but you are entitled to those days.
    Thanks ;-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

24th was a Saturday, so the claim would go from the Monday.
    If you only made your claim on 30th, and want it backdated, you have to request this in writing. Have you done this? If you haven't your claim will only be looked at from 30th December.
    If you have requested the backdate, if it is refused, you can appeal this - but you can't appeal until a decision is made on it.

cee_jay wrote: »
    If you only made your claim on 30th, and want it backdated, you have to request this in writing. Have you done this? If you haven't your claim will only be looked at from 30th December.
    If you have requested the backdate, if it is refused, you can appeal this - but you can't appeal until a decision is made on it.

Doh your right 24th was a Saturday but office should have been open on 28th. In fairness in view of the fact that the office was closed until the 29th Dec I would expect the office to apply payment from first day of unemployment in view of the fact it was over the Christmas period as would be practiced in most offices.

cee_jay wrote: »

Thank you for your input however if that is the case then it should have been clearly stated on the claim form. I did state on my form that the claim had been done later because they were closed over the xmas period. In addition, I also explained that to the officer who took my claim at the welfare office. He said it would take 2-3 weeks but when I rang them today I was told they hadn't even decided what to do about my case and I would have to wait another 2-3 weeks. I wonder what can there be to be decided? It's plain enough, as my claim states my last day at work was december 23rd, and after 10 years I believe I am correct in thinking I am entitled to my stamps. Some of my ex colleagues, who were employed for longer, have to wait because their redundancy package exceeded the quota but that is not my case and this was verified by the officer who took my claim on dec 29th so I just don't get it. A friend of mine who started her employment with the same company and was made redundant on the same day as me and whose welfare office is in Listowel got her stamps the week after claiming and no problem with backdating correctly! I was wondering is this normal for Tralee Welfare Office?

I know you were replying to cee_jays post but if you need money while you are waiting for you claim to be processed then go to your community welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare allowance. Tralee office would be processing a lot more claims than Listowel but for jsb should really only take 3 weeks max even in a busy office.

• Advertisement

Tralee office would be processing a lot more claims than Listowel but for jsb should really only take 3 weeks max even in a busy office.

Phoned them Wednesday, went there yesterday to sign backdating form and phoned back again today. Over the phone I was told there is a backlog, but like you say 3 weeks should be enough for a jsb application, plus the guy who took my claim on december 30th also said 2-3 weeks.

The guy I spoke to yesterday said 'all I can do is give you a backdating form to sign', which he and which i signed. To all my other questions, the same answer I got: 'I could not tell you' - like a broken record. I mean I would not mind waiting if this was normal but my colleague got hers within a week and you are saying 3 weeks should be enough for processing a jsb application.

I told them I need my payment protection forms signed so I can apply for payment protection on my loans. These PP claims have to me submitted within a certain timeframe or they're declined. I explained this to Tralee SWO, they said they could not sign the forms until I was in receipt of social welfare payment!

Since as I said my colleague got hers within a week and I didn't I wonder does this have anything to do with the fact that she is Irish whilst I am just a European Citizen...

It has nothing to do with you not being Irish. Your colleagues claim was at a different office which probably isnt as busy as Tralee. They cannot sign the payment protection form until you are in receipt of payment.

Go to your community welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare allowance. Any money paid by cwo will be deducted from your jobseekers claim when it is processed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

On average, in most offices it should take about 3 weeks to decide on a Jobseeker's benefit claim. However, this is down to resources in your office - Tralee may be taking longer to process claims, and this is not down to being from the EU.
    As you are waiting for your claim to be decided, you should go to the community welfare officer.

Advertisement