Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lego Competition

• 27-06-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

One thing that was metioned in the thread requesting this forum was the idea of competitions.

So how about a weekly one?

So, I'll get the ball rolling... how about building a holywood celebrity of your choice out of Lego by next week. The deadline for entries will be 12 noon on 4th of July.

And you can't pick Matt Damon as he already looks like he's made of lego.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol, deadly idea! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

That sounds class, might give Cher a go. Must dismantle the lego house that had been sitting on my shelf for the last 10 years though. Cant wait to see what people come up with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I would suggest something a little easier for a first time competition, a celebrities face with lego could be absolutly awful, or completly jaw-dropping, and the latter is only possible with a sponsorship of bricks and a lot of time! (At least, IMO)

I would suggest something everyone is familiar with like "Most creative vehicle" or "Best house". Failing that I will just pop off the head of an old lego man and draw on my celebrity, because I don't have that many skin/yellow bricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

A house building comp would be brilliant indeed! (since ive one built already lol :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I would suggest something a little easier for a first time competition, a celebrities face with lego could be absolutly awful, or completly jaw-dropping, and the latter is only possible with a sponsorship of bricks and a lot of time! (At least, IMO)
    Oh it's really only a bit of fun... You just need to capture the 'essence' of the celebrity in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Oh it's really only a bit of fun... You just need to capture the 'essence' of the celebrity in question.

OK, clearly monkeyfudge has NEVER really grown up and still has a massive quantity of lego bricks out the back somewhere while we all have put ours in the attic. ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭YeAh!

eo980 wrote:
    OK, clearly monkeyfudge has NEVER really grown up and still has a massive quantity of lego bricks out the back somewhere while we all have put ours in the attic. ???????
    The 'essense' eh? This should be fun!

eo980 wrote:
    9 year old nephew in the same house... lego is everywhere... I even found some in my Lasagna this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i need to get all my lego back together as its been fleeced by various cousins over the years. as soon as i do ill build a mansion

Well, I started on a Lego Micheal Jackson over lunch this afternoon.

Why Micheal Jackson? While I thought I'd make use of the abundance of white blocks I had for his skin. I've got his head and shoulders done so far... but I hope to get it up to a full body in the end... and possibly have him grabbing his crotch if I'm feeling adventurous..

It's all fairly basic and only works when looked at from the front.. but I've gotten his head and shoulders done using around 25 bricks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'll really like to get in Lego it might be interesting trying out building a house or something.

Argh.. I kind of forgot about this...

Here's my attempt at a lego Michael Jackson anyway.

legojackson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Heh Heh, not too bad at all Monkey Man, not too bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

rofl, deadly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Good stuff, doesn't seem to have taken many bricks either. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hhaha, that Michael Jackson is class Monkey Fudge

You need to include white socks though!

I used up all my white bricks on his face.

Anyone up for trying another competition?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I will not comment on a what I could say about the last comment including Michael Jackson, white, and face, for fear of being banned :o

I would be up for a comp if I can get my hands on a few bricks through ebay. Will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

so any more info on the lego comps....be interesting to watch if it was held at a location....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kingcrowley

http://www.legoeducation.com/forms/activitycontest.asp

This is a lego contest for US citizens only..but i contacted them through the and they sent me out the Smart Kit for free!

"Thank you for contacting LEGO Education. The LEGO Smart Creativity Contest is for US residents only, however, you are welcome to request a free kit and enjoy the submitted activities on your own! You can also create new activities and send them to me for posting on our LEGO Smart Blog. Any activities you submit will not be included in the contest, but will be share with educators throughout the US."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

http://www.legoeducation.com/forms/activitycontest.asp

This is a lego contest for US citizens only..but i contacted them through the and they sent me out the Smart Kit for free!

"Thank you for contacting LEGO Education. The LEGO Smart Creativity Contest is for US residents only, however, you are welcome to request a free kit and enjoy the submitted activities on your own! You can also create new activities and send them to me for posting on our LEGO Smart Blog. Any activities you submit will not be included in the contest, but will be share with educators throughout the US."

Whats in the smart kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kingcrowley

i haven't gotten to open it yet...i'll be opening it Thursday and i'll post up the details then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hey, lets get this back up and running :)

I'm game. Set me a challenge!

Ok, Since I've been trawling through all the old Star wars MOC's, why not make something similar or Maybe a scence from another movie?

(Extreme) Examples:

gallery_101_16_13454.jpg

lego-ice-battle-hoth7.jpg

3831247317_e864eb13b8.jpg

Obviously not on this scale but you get the idea :)
    Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Deadly, great to see interest back in this, and seeing as I have all my boxes out as I'm moving, I am definitely going to attempt something myself.

Good stuff :)

Hows everyone getting on?
    i have a nice little wood fortress built :)

Ill try get some pics up soon

Here's a sneak-peek at how I'm getting on.....

BCF28DE5B35243CFB7F3BF3EFE97F7F0-800.jpg

Photo was Twittered too :D

http://twitter.com/pixie

Posted in the random photo thread too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Looking good Tallon. I've yet to start on mine actually, but the long weekend means I'll probably find some time.

Advertisement