Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Botcon Devcon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

Galvasean wrote: »
    My favourite generations mould. I already have scourge and a sweep patrol as well as Ratbat. I hope hell be easy enough to get for a reasonable price.

God, how can you get this guy if you are not going to BotCon.
    He's €80 on Ebay before crazy shipping.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

This mold is overused. I wish it would just wear out and break.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    This mold is overused. I wish it would just wear out and break.

It can't break because it's a solid classic.
    Tight transformation, great detailing including the often missed landing gears, hidden compartments for the guns, nod to original character by enabling the head to pop up during flight mode (ridiculous but fun). Also, the fact that this character can legitimately have numerous figures in one scene is great.
    Hasbro Scourge looks great - nothing fancy but a perfect update to the G1 colours and style. The United Scourge with the metallic paint is just a step above. It turns the Hasbro version into a Sweep.

Ratbat... Ratbat is BEAUTIFUL. The metallic purple, black and gold combined with the Rat cowl head sculpt.

And now this new variant.
    I can't understand why he's going for $100 when another great mould Ferak/Cyclonus is under $50 - well, I suppose I can understand it due to all the reasons above. Obviously, some other TF fans out there view it the same way.

The mold is fine. but there's only so many times you can repurpose a mold, however good it is, before it becomes tiresome.

And if it costs more than some others in the set, (perceived) demand, i suppose.

• Advertisement

The mold is fine. but there's only so many times you can repurpose a mold, however good it is, before it becomes tiresome.

I agree with the sentiment but I don't think 'tiresome' really applies to this mould.
    Scourge (Hasbro/Takara) was one character. Ratbat is a relatively minor character (in this mould) and was only released in the Japanese market. Devcon is an exclusive, only legitimately available to people going to Botcon.
    Both re-uses were relatively minor so it's hardly market saturation.

It's not like, say, the overuse of the MP seeker mould with 7 legitimate (not including iGear coneheads) versions of MP-03 and that being re-tooled to produce MP-11, which then had 3 or 4 different iterations. That's tiresome.

Or the ongoing use of the Nissan mould and all the variations there.

The way in which it has been used for three not particularly connected characters, plus the translucent iteration of Scourge (are there any more?) i do think it is over used in that sense.

280ZX, Seekers, you have a point. But there was a very clear reason, established in the fiction, as to why the Seekers shared the same mold, and to some extent the same with Autobot cars, they were all part of the same group as well.

Again, the translucent one is a pretty hard-to-find e-hobby exclusive, and it's Scourge.
    It's not like I could walk into a shop and see Scourge, Ratbat and Devcon side by side on a shelf.

But walk into the right shop and the nissan brothers will be there or the seekers on display. Or Prime with a black prime and a Magnus.

AxlF wrote: »
    Again, the translucent one is a pretty hard-to-find e-hobby exclusive, and it's Scourge.
    It's not like I could walk into a shop and see Scourge, Ratbat and Devcon side by side on a shelf.

But walk into the right shop and the nissan brothers will be there or the seekers on display. Or Prime with a black prime and a Magnus.

Rarity or availability doesn't necessarily support or undermine how a mold is reused. I've already made my point WRT to why Seekers and Autobot cars sharing molds is less forced. If you choose not to consider that's up to you.

Magnus and Prime sharing the same mold is established somewhat by the existence of Battle Convoy and Powered Convoy. Nemesis Prime/Black Convoy i could happily go on collecting TFs if the concept was never visited again.

"Defend him, if you can."

ipqjb4.jpg

• Advertisement

"Defend him, if you can."

ipqjb4.jpg

Nope, it's official. He's completely overused now.
    :-D

AxlF wrote: »
    Nope, it's official. He's completely overused now.
    :-D

:D

Advertisement