Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French Open 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Murray can be so hot and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

It will be a miracle if Murray can get back into this game. The Spaniard has outclassed him in the last 2 sets, pity how Murray has crumbled since the game restarted.

Game Set and Match!

Murray beaten by David Ferrer in the quarter finals of the FO. Ferrer was all over him like a rash and he deserved victory, shocking unforced errors by Murray in the match- over 50 of them. Interesting set up for the men's semi-finals- Novak vs Federer and Ferrer vs Nadal.

Very difficult to call to be frank especially with the Novak- Fed match- it will a cracker. The major factor will be the mental state and the will to win by both players; Novak wants to hold all four slams simultaneously and like Fed said today, he will like to spoil the party. I would wager that whoever wins the first set will go on and win the match, the battle will be more pshchological than physical. If I was betting man, I will go for Fed in four sets with 2 tie breakers.

The other semi will definitely be more physical, they know each other very well and Nadal has a slight advantage but with the way Almagro played him today, he is most likely to drop a set. The advantage Nadal has over most players is that he will most likely outlast them in a five game match- especially on clay, but Ferrer is quite different, he can go all the way. He is very motivated and he is in good form. At 30, it is probably his last chance to reach a Grand slam final, he will play to win! But I can see Nadal stealing the game- just.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I just can't see past Nadal as the winner of this tournament. He is playing very well and pretty much destroyed Djokovic on the clay recently. He has also had the easiest route to the semi-finals so far out of all the players and I think it will be a Djokovic-Nadal final. Djokovic just hasn't looked at invincible recently as he did last year and I think Nadal is simply too strong on the clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

jcf wrote: »
    Interesting the way djokovic gets Federer in the semis as the top seed ,
    Should be Nadal Federer, but of course that would be harder for Rafi, must give him an easier draw.

Federer and Djokovic seem to meet in most Grand Slam semi finals for some bizarre reason whereas Nadal usually gets the easier side including Murray .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pconn062 wrote: »
    I just can't see past Nadal as the winner of this tournament. He is playing very well and pretty much destroyed Djokovic on the clay recently. He has also had the easiest route to the semi-finals so far out of all the players and I think it will be a Djokovic-Nadal final. Djokovic just hasn't looked at invincible recently as he did last year and I think Nadal is simply too strong on the clay.

I think you could be right. For the first time ever in a slam I am rooting against Federer simply because he just cannot beat Rafa at Roland Garros. At least Novak has the real beatings of Nadal and a Novak-Nadal final to me makes for a far closer match. I can see Novak winning. Novak has shown that he can beat Nadal on all surfaces. He has a far better chance than Federer IMO.

Federer and Djokovic seem to meet in most Grand Slam semi finals for some bizarre reason whereas Nadal usually gets the easier side including Murray .

Makes no odds, as Rafa still has to beat whoever makes it to him. May as well be a final as a semi final where he wins or loses.

I would rather a Federer-Nadal semi. Sick of them two meeting in the final at RG and Federer getting soundly beaten because his unforced error count is thru the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

dissapointing to see murray being beaten but in the end he made too many unforced errors, the rain delay didnt help him but he had chances especially the fourth set when he got the break early but like earlier on couldn't hold on to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Nadal gets Ferrer in the semis, Djokovic gets Federer - JOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ttankk

Loving the roland garros this year !!! been watching it on setanta and the coverqage i have found to be perfect really

• Advertisement

jcf wrote: »
    Nadal gets Ferrer in the semis, Djokovic gets Federer - JOKE

Why?

Novak and Nadal will not meet in the semis, and even if Nadal got Federer, what matters? He most likely still wins, and gets Novak in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ttankk

walshb wrote: »
    Why?

Novak and Nadal will not meet in the semis, and even if Nadal got Federer, what matters? He most likely still wins, and gets Novak in the final.

No matter what with the form Nadal is in he looks destined to win another french grand slam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Completely agree with the idea that Nadal will win French Open. He's in fantastic form! Doesn't matter if he would meet Djokovic, Federer or anyone else for that matter in the final, he's going to win it!

Pissing rain in Paris at the moment. Unlikely that SFs will start at 1pm.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Completely agree with the idea that Nadal will win French Open. He's in fantastic form! Doesn't matter if he would meet Djokovic, Federer or anyone else for that matter in the final, he's going to win it!

I'd only make him a warm favourite. I really think Novak can run him so so close providing Novak gets past Roger!

Sara Errani through to her first ever Grand Slam Singles Final!! 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 victor over Sam Stosur. Errani played a great match and took her chances, although the 2nd set was pretty terrible.

She's now in both singles and women's doubles finals. She teamed with Roberta Vinci and they will face Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova. Quite the surprise package! I wonder what her odds were like coming into RG?

Up next is Petra Kvitova vs. Maria Sharapova. If both plays are on form it could be a really good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Hi i don't watch tennis alot but can some here who knows please tell me why the referee has to make the call if the ball is in or out?Why is there no camera like there is in wimbledon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rubbish from kvitova today, way to many unforced errors and without sounding cruel she needs to lose a few pounds because her court movement is not good enough for someone who wants to win many Slams.

I'd like to see Errani win the final because she at least has some variety and isn't a roaring cow but Sharapova's power may be to relentless.:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

mixed up wrote: »
    Hi i don't watch tennis alot but can some here who knows please tell me why the referee has to make the call if the ball is in or out?Why is there no camera like there is in wimbledon?

Because the ball leaves a mark in the clay that can be used to see where it landed. The French like tradition it would appear.

Disappointed with Kvitova today. I thought the match would a battle, more like a walkover! My dad also commented on her weight. I hate to say it but she could lose a teeny bit. It would improve her movement on court. She's got a great game, movement needs work.

Sara Errani vs. Maria Sharapova final. Who'd a thought?! Errani's at 5/2 to win on PaddyPower. It would be great to see her win but I'm not sure if she'll be able to handle Sharapova's power. Hoping for a good final though!

The Mixed Doubles final was on today. No.7 seeds Mahesh Bhupathi & Sania Mirza defeated Santiago Giraldo & Klaudia Jans-Ignacek 7-6, 6-1.

Men's Semi-Finals Day tomorrow!! Kicks off at 12pm with Ferrer vs. Nadal then Djokovic vs. Federer.

Women's Doubles Final also on. No.4 seeds Sara Errani & Roberta Vinci vs. No.7 seeds Nadia Petrova & Maria Kirilenko (NB 2pm)

Mo14 wrote: »
    Because the ball leaves a mark in the clay that can be used to see where it landed. The French like tradition it would appear.

I think it is time they introduced the hawk eye for sake of fairness and clarity. A lot of disputes by players,understandably as a similar facililty is available in other Grand slams and I am sure a lot of incorrect decisons have been made like the blatant one in the match between kanepi vs Wozniaki.

The ball leaves a mark but it can tricky if the ball is played around the same spot as a previous shot or if the umpire gets it wrong.

Just like Roland Garros has to develop a cover for the main courts for weather purposes- I am aware this is in the pipeline for 2015.

Tradition is good but progress is even better.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same thing as regards the ball leaving a mark on the clay. It may be somewhat accurate, but far from precise. I mean, who can really tell if a portion of the ball didn't clip the line? This is all it takes for a shot to be termed in. And, as mentioned, many different shots leaving different marks can make it difficult for players and umpires.

KINGVictor wrote: »

Just like Roland Garros has to develop a cover for the main courts for weather purposes- I am aware this is in the pipeline for 2015.

Tradition is good but progress is even better.

I'd like them to stop trying to crowbar to many games on the main 2 courts, every year it happens and its a joke. Spread them around or start an hour earlier.

For example last Friday their was 6 games on a main court scheduled? Seriously?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I would absolutely love another federer nadal final in paris.

Hopefully itll be fed through in 4 against a stroppy djokovic.

Really hope we get to see rafa tested as well though. I back ferrer to take one of the first 2 sets

Ferrer is dead here, he had a chance at 2-1, 30-40 to break but when faced with the whole court for a simple winner and break he smashed it at Rafa who then held and has crushed him since then.
    Rain now which is a shame as I wanted this over as quick as possible so we could see a proper match before Novak and Federer just before the Euro's start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Rafa on course to win his 23rd consecutive french open...

snoozefest......

I am shocked at the way Nadal is bossing Ferrer in the semis. I expected a tougher match and its just plain bullying going on at the moment: its currently 6-2 6-2 2-0.

Really happy for Murray not facing Nadal now because I don't think he would have psychologically recovered from the outcome- it would have been a massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A very dull match, Ferrer just didn't show up. Hopefully the next semifinal is better. As much as I am a Federer fan I kind of hope it's a Nadal-Djokovic final as he is the only one that can challenge Nadal in this form. Nadal-Federer would be a white wash.

The standard in this semi final is off the charts. 4-4 set 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

great game so far, i think will fed will win it in 5 sets. very similar to last years game which was a cracker :)

• Advertisement

Novak 2 sets to nil up! Yes!

As usual Federer's unforced eror count is killing him. So hope Novak wins now. Hate to see Federer win and then lose in the final due to all his unforced errors.

Advertisement