Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengance

• 19-08-2011 5:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Trailer

Synopsis:

Nicolas Cage returns as Johnny Blaze in Columbia Pictures' and Hyde Park Entertainment's Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. In the successor to the worldwide hit Ghost Rider, Johnny - still struggling with his curse as the devil's bounty hunter - is hiding out in a remote part of Eastern Europe when he is recruited by a secret sect of the church to save a young boy (Fergus Riordan) from the devil (Ciaran Hinds). At first, Johnny is reluctant to embrace the power of the Ghost Rider, but it is the only way to protect the boy - and possibly rid himself of his curse forever. Directed by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank). Screenplay by Scott M. Gimple & Seth Hoffman and David S. Goyer. Story by David S. Goyer.

So far looks much better than the first, IMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And still no Daredevil sequel...there is no justice.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And still no Daredevil sequel...there is no justice.

It's in production :) David Slade's making it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well at least they have the look of the skull right going by the trailer. Looks better than the first(not difficult really), and it's got Idris Elba, hopefully Taylor can bring some of that energy from Crank into this, the action looks better too. Have to say the piss gag at the end does not bode well though.The only thing I liked about the first one was Sam Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's in production :) David Slade's making it

Think that is more of a reboot...the Affleck one got sh*t all over purely because Affleck was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Think that is more of a reboot...the Affleck one got sh*t all over purely because Affleck was in it.

The theatrical cut didnt help at all. Directors Cut is one of my favourite Comic Book films.

SoV looking better then the 1st Ghost Rider anyway

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I actually thought Affleck was ok in it, but the film was a disaster as a whole.

I don't think it's gone into production yet but they're supposedly adapting Daredevil: Born Again for the film.
    Mega Chin wrote: »
    The theatrical cut didnt help at all. Directors Cut is one of my favourite Comic Book films.

Is the DC really that much better? Might track it down so...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It makes a bit more sense. More of DDs backstory and gets rid of that stupid love scene completely. Weird subplot with Coolio though (I actually liked it)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,332 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The pissing fire gag is totally random, it doesn't bode well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Replace Nicholas Cage with Anyone and I'm in....

• Advertisement

Stole this from Paddy Kerins in another thread.

original.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

He must be suffering from a fierce case of gonorrhea.

Quite impressed with the trailer, as a fan of Neveldine/Taylor I've been waiting for this for awhile and the trailer bodes well. The pushing fire moment seems to put a lot of people off but first time I saw it laughed and it's the kind off humour you got in the Crank films and Gamer.

Nice to see Christopher Lambert pop up fir all of a second, hopefully his role in the finished film is a littlemote substantial.

Ghost Rider is a pretty goofy enough character in some of the comics in fairness I suppose, he comes off as a bit on idiot in the Garth Ennis one I read. I guess the piss thing isn't really that far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

second trailer i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtrLGZI9Ov0&ob=av3e

have to admit, im kinda looking forward to it.

just hope i have the 2d option in my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Another 12A flick which I know I'm just going to
    be dragged to...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks much better than the 1st, although that's not saying a whole lot. Might be a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Really looking forward to it will probaly a big improvement on the 1st

Yay !

vue has a 2d option so i dont have to feck around with glasses all through the film.

meant to say im surprised how good he looks in daylight and i like the fact theyve gone with johnnys original bike.

a flaming harley just looks better than the dragster thing from the first film IMO.

was looking at some of the "Behind the scenes" stuff. the directors are fecking mental ! being dragged behind moving vehicles on rollerblades with a camera and getting shot through the air on wires behind your actors?

cant see many others going to such extremes.

gotta give them credit for going to such lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, it seems that everyone involved in the film fully admit that the original was terrible and are trying to do everything they can to really make a kick-ass sequel. It may still flop, but at least they're trying.

• Advertisement

ah bollocks.

went to check the times for VUE for this and despite saying there would be a 2d version last week there is now only a 3d version up this week.

so thats by brother and his daugher gone as a sale for them as just like with underworld 3ds no use for him with his gammy eye.

its pissing me off too as i really am getting annoyed with puting another set of glasses over my own and spending through the fecking nose for it.

im thinking i may leave this now for a while.

THOR was only 3d in the beginning at em too and it got a 2d release after a week , so if the demand is high enough they may slap on a 2d version of this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Yay !
    meant to say im surprised how good he looks in daylight and i like the fact theyve gone with johnnys original bike.

a flaming harley just looks better than the dragster thing from the first film IMO.

Au contraire constitutionus!

It's the opposite way around.

The bike in the first film was indeed a Harley, or at least it started out as one.

The new film / bike is a Yamaha V Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance.

Well now I just got to see it!

Sindri wrote: »
    Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance.

Well now I just got to see it!

Don't leave us hanging!! Was it any good man?

Au contraire constitutionus!

It's the opposite way around.

The bike in the first film was indeed a Harley, or at least it started out as one.

The new film / bike is a Yamaha V Max.

yeah my bad.

i keep forgeting those choppers are modified harleys.

they just look so different that i tend to think theyre different models.

when i think harley i think the thing the yanks used to use in WW2 and the 50s and the like and the new bike looks far more like an unaltered traditional harley.

nice to know its a yamaha !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just back from it and really enjoyed it much darker tone than the 1st , Reminded me of Blade alot , Even Cage dialled it down a lot and it comes out with a good performance , The SFX which i hated in the 1st is light years better the rider is actually a creepy looking ****er

good to hear.

the slagging had already started in the press as apparently sony banned them from doing reviews of it till it opened today.

personally i couldnt give a damn as i dont expect any critic to actually like this :)

i expect this to be like "resident evil".

stupid beyond belief, but enormous fun.

in fact i'd be more worried if they do like it as its a popcorn muncher. so long as i get a good action film with some nice visuals and nick cage doesnt lose the plot in it ill be happy.

going on either sunday or monday, so will be back to give my view on it then.

well back from seeing this today.

man this is a tough one !

:)

on the one hand i can see why the critics savaged it and IMO its definetly NOT for the casual cinema going audience.

on the other i had a blast at it !

in fact i was grinning like an idiot in places. its seriously off its tits and cage does go a little over the top in a place or two but its also a far more enjoyable outing for ol flame head than the last.

speaking of which forget about that one.

this is more of a reboot than an sequel. in fact its more like a mash of the various comics series from the last few decades than a sequel to its previous outing so if you expect more of the same as that one you will be disappointed as theres quite large differences in story and tone.

theres alot more of the lore behind the rider and its got a far darker style than the last film, but its also hilarious in places. the directors are mad as a sack of cats and it results in some really weird almost fourth wall breaking humour and they use a animation device at the begining to get you up to speed on what this take on the rider is all about thats kinda like a flash motion comic book.

speaking of the visuals i have to say GR looks FANTASTIC during the day. i really didnt think they could pull that off for long but the highway set piece was just too much fun.

the BEST thing though is how they infused GR with personality. he's more than creepy, he's downright alien.

they really pulled off the sense that whats standing in front of you isnt even remotely human through a series of mannerisms and movements. this rider is meant
    to be insane, driven so in hell
    and you get that when he interacts with people.

i have to say i LOVED this and wouldnt mind seeing more. there arent that many set peices but what they do have is completly over the top.

it does feel more like blade, particularly in the bad guys, one of whom practically evokes decon frost. but then again goyer is involved in this so its probably down to that. but its more spectacular due to the more visual nature of GR over blade. the mining site alone shows that.

idris elba was a great side character though. he gets some great lines all to himself .

i give this 8/10

BUT only because im a fan of the character over the years and got all the stuff they threw at me (though i bet theres some gobshytes that will give out about the messing around with blackout. personally i thougt the tweeking made him a bettter villain)

to the average cinema goer i reckon its more a 4/5 out of ten as they look at this and go "im sorry ,what? "

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Another 12A flick which I know I'm just going to
    be dragged to...

:D

Dragged i may have been but i enjoyed it; far more than
    i ever thought....

the authentic eastern european settings; the clipped tight
    90 minutes; the pushing of the 12A violence; the at least you
    can see it 3D; the cage getting out of himself; the
    self reverential amusing bits; the excellent ghost rider burns.

what more can i say? a marvel sound 8/10.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I went to see the first Ghost Rider on my own when it came out. Couldn't even think of trying to drag someone along to it at the time. This time around, I was trying to figure out a way of dragging the girlfriend to see it. "What way could I phrase such a request?" I kept thinking. Then yesterday, she goes "Ooh, Ghost Rider 2 is out; we should go check that shit out!"

Back of the net.

Advertisement