Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick FC 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jofspring wrote: »
    The best football I ever saw us play was the second half of the season under Mike Kerely around 2008/09. We were on fire playing attacking football and I think from the middle of the season onwards we were undefeated, only conceding a few and scoring a bag full.

Did we not lose 2-1 at home to Kildare in the game before the last game of the season when we drew with shels? Or was that a different season?

Either way, we were playing some great stuff then - beat Waterford 5-1, won away at Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

osarusan wrote: »
    Jofspring wrote: »
    The best football I ever saw us play was the second half of the season under Mike Kerely around 2008/09. We were on fire playing attacking football and I think from the middle of the season onwards we were undefeated, only conceding a few and scoring a bag full.

Did we not lose 2-1 at home to Kildare in the game before the last game of the season when we drew with shels? Or was that a different season?

Either way, we were playing some great stuff then - beat Waterford 5-1, won away at Dundalk.

Ya your right actually. Brian Collopy let a Philly Hughes shot slip through his hands on his debut. At that time we seemed to have an annual end of season loss to Kildare County.

Limerick 4 - 0 Mervue

Tracy pen, O'Leary, Gaffney, Behan.

Sound like a comfortable win after a shaky first 30 mins. The sending off leading to the penalty seems like it ended Mervue's challenge.

Waterford won 1-0 so we are still 4 points clear of them, and Longford play at home to Wexford tonight. A win will see them close the gap to 3 points.

League table here: http://www.extratime.ie/leagues/2012/101/

Basically, we win 3 of our last 4 games and we're champions.

Our 4 remaining fixtures are:

Sept 21st - away to Salthill (beaten them all 3 times so far this season)

Sept 28th - home to Athlone (beaten them all 3 times so far)

Oct 6th - away to Longford (win, draw, and loss so far)

Oct 13th - home to Wexford (beaten them all 3 times so far)

Back in action tomorrow night away to SD Galway in Deacy Park (Terryland Park)

Some bad news though Top Scorer Rory Gaffney has broke a metatarsal in his foot and is out for the rest of the season.

We should still be looking to win comfortably. A 3-0 win will be excellent for goal difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Did I hear yesterday that they are expanding the premier division next year, this guarantees Limerick premier football but will take from their achievement slightly assuming they win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Did I hear yesterday that they are expanding the premier division next year, this guarantees Limerick premier football but will take from their achievement slightly assuming they win the league.

It will still be 12 teams in the Premier. The only reason that they are 'expanding' it is because there are currently 11 teams in the Premier due to Monaghan leaving the league. Limerick will still have to finish first for automatic promotion or will have to play 2nd or 3rd team in the first division (if Limerick finish 2nd or 3rd) and then play a team from the Premier to achieve promotion.

It will still be 12 teams in the Premier. The only reason that they are 'expanding' it is because there are currently 11 teams in the Premier due to Monaghan leaving the league. Limerick will still have to finish first for automatic promotion or will have to play 2nd or 3rd team in the first division (if Limerick finish 2nd or 3rd) and then play a team from the Premier to achieve promotion.

That makes sense, just caught the end of a news report yesterday, seemed crazy to increase the size of the league considering the poor attendances etc,
    Will Limerick be playing in the Markets Field next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

That makes sense, just caught the end of a news report yesterday, seemed crazy to increase the size of the league considering the poor attendances etc,
    Will Limerick be playing in the Markets Field next year?

Think that is the plan, but from what I have been hearing they haven't really made any progress with regards to the the redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

osarusan wrote: »
    Limerick 4 - 0 Mervue

Tracy pen, O'Leary, Gaffney, Behan.

Sound like a comfortable win after a shaky first 30 mins. The sending off leading to the penalty seems like it ended Mervue's challenge.

Waterford won 1-0 so we are still 4 points clear of them, and Longford play at home to Wexford tonight. A win will see them close the gap to 3 points.

League table here: http://www.extratime.ie/leagues/2012/101/

Basically, we win 3 of our last 4 games and we're champions.

Our 4 remaining fixtures are:

Sept 21st - away to Salthill (beaten them all 3 times so far this season)

Sept 28th - home to Athlone (beaten them all 3 times so far)

Oct 6th - away to Longford (win, draw, and loss so far)

Oct 13th - home to Wexford (beaten them all 3 times so far)

They should get 6 points against Salthill and Athlone. Athlone being the tougher fixture imo. Last two games will be mental! Can't wait for it. Should be a huge turnout for the Wexford game.

They should have it wrapped up before then, if they needed a result it would be mental.

On a slightly off tangent issue, what kind of crowds could Limerick attract if they were flying high in the premier division?

• Advertisement

They should have it wrapped up before then, if they needed a result it would be mental.

On a slightly off tangent issue, what kind of crowds could Limerick attract if they were flying high in the premier division?

Very hard to know but flying high in the premier in the markets field you could be looking at about 2,000+. The jump from small crowds to big crowds can happen very fast if the going is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Getting a lot of 700/800 crowds this year, easily double that if your playing well in the prem. Visits of Rovers and Cork would be boosted by the away support. so crowds of 2k+ could be the norm, then again the visits of UCD/Bray with Scully style football could see some crowds in the hundreds again.

Hope there is only one division next year, dont care if it takes away from us getting promoted ourselves (still in the balance btw). If there is a Prem and 1st Div the FAI will go out of their way not to let us up. The ground issue sticks out already

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Think that is the plan, but from what I have been hearing they haven't really made any progress with regards to the the redevelopment.

The LEDP are the ones in control of the development. If anyone has JP on speed dial give him a buzz.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sounds like things went our way tonight, if early reports of the results are to be believed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Won 1-0 away to SD Galway.
    Had a player (Guthrie) red carded after 30 mins but Joe Gamble scored what proved to be the winner on 45mins.
    Longford lost away to Waterford 3-2 and had 2 players red carded.
    So Waterford move into second place on 52pts, 4 pts behind Limerick with Longford now 6 pts adrift of the leaders.
    Limerick can only lose it now. (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

so if we beat Athlone at home on Friday how will that effect our promotion chances, will it leave us just needing one more win to top the table?

banjobongo wrote: »
    so if we beat Athlone at home on Friday how will that effect our promotion chances, will it leave us just needing one more win to top the table?

We still need Waterford to lose next week to mathematically win the league but with the vast goal difference we could probably consider it won.

Waterford still have 9 points to play for and are only 4 points behind us so we still can be caught.

I wouldn't be getting a head of ourselves anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

how much are tickets for tonights game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

how much are tickets for tonights game?

Same as usual I'd say - €10 for terrace, €12 for stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

FAI would have been embarrassed by the collapse of Limerick FC so they interferred with "Independent" process.

linky here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0928/1224324534441.html

Jaysus they dont neeed anybody help when it comes to embarrassing themselves.

• Advertisement

Another mess up from Delaney. In all honesty though don't forget the licensing process is totally removed and independent from the FAI to make it fair........that is of course except for the conditions/criteria they suggest should be applied to specific teams and not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

In three words...Overpaid, Incompetent, Corrupt

I'd love to hear what our local Finance Minister has to say about this

Pat O'Sullivan has literally given Limk FC a massive sum of money, for no personal gain, he has done so in a very real attempt to help improve the lives of people thru football, and he is treated like this

Absolutely disgraceful

Limerick 1-0 Athlone

They made us work very hard for it but we were always on top. Some relief to get the goal.

If Waterford lose tomorrow night and If Longford also lose or even draw then we are Champions tomorrow night.

Seems already there is a big support heading up to Longford next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

we just about won our match tonight, one goal to nill. At times I thought we would be lucky with a draw, and soemtimes I could see disaster threatening with some very sloppy Limerick FC passing. If Athlone had been better at scoring we would probably have lost....but at the end of the day, its the score that counts and its a win for LImerick FC with only 2 games left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Can't make as many games as I would like lately, but room booked and all good to go for the last home game, hopefully it'll be a celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

FAI would have been embarrassed by the collapse of Limerick FC so they interferred with "Independent" process.

linky here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0928/1224324534441.html

Jaysus they dont neeed anybody help when it comes to embarrassing themselves.

What can you say that hasn't been said. The FAI make the crowd in Leinster House seem like Angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭STEEL COMET

longford will catch limerick!!!!! SLIGO ROVERS RULE!!!!!

Nearly 20 years waiting for this, and when it comes I'm in Tokyo, about as far away from Limerick as it's possible to be.

Perhaps I need to make up an excuse...a sick relative, or a little-known conference, which would allow me a short trip back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Lads Pat O@Sullivan is a legend, he is the best thing that ever happened Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Longford 0-1 SD Galway...38 minutes gone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement