Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My wife's breast cancer ordeal.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's great Johnnie, hopefully you'll both soon be putting all this behind you. Have a lovely meal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

oh op you are so strong for your wife , i had a moment before i could write anything on here cos last year was my year of chemo 4 a.c and 4 taxol, not much side affects but taxol i had bad tingleing in my feet and fingers, my sence of humour never waver,d cos my husband was with me every step of the way like you are with your wife. there is nothing else that you can do for her . your are helping her as you are . then in november i had lumpsectomy (the chemo shrank the 4 inch disease lump) ,went back for results two weeks later was told my nodes (22) would have to come out jan 11th that was , had the drain in , that drove me cracked cos of the measuring of the fluid so they no when to take it out, the nurse,s at breast clinis were very good as in letting me no about any results of tests . then the radiotheraphy started ,oh boy that was hard, its hard for me to explain cos its diferent for all, but once they start the treatment it goes fast , but be ware about the skin burning after two weeks , the nurses will keep a check on your wife. im on tamoxafene for 5 yrs.. had my first mammogram since last year june 15, got the all clear last week... that will be your wife when ye are all done with radiotheraphy.. when i lost my hair i saved a heap on hair dye and shaving unwanted hair, as for hair on head i laughed whhen i saw it all bald, but it took a while to get used to it, had a wig but mostly i had afew scarfs from dunns on the go, didnt like the turbins that were so dear to buy..people say that i was so brave to go through this but we dont have a choice but go get treatment and get better for our kids to see them grow up. as for the word JOURNEY i hate it cos it wasnt a holiday that we were on. my hair now is so soft no need for conditoner anymore , but the bast thing is that i dont have to wash it every 2nd day cos its not greasey like it used to be. used to dye it blond , not anymore its dark red almost maroon colour, everyone says its much better than blond.. your wife will be a diferent person when this all done, as in mind set to life ,you will be the same. ye are nearly all done , what i found is and still do is to get my head out of the cancer mode as in to get back to life before all happend. taxol stopped me walking and i got so lazy and still in that mode but it will feel so good to start back ..op give her a hugg when she least exspect cos she will be with you this time next year and along time to come.........keep us posted as to how she is getting on ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

cats.life wrote: »
    oh op you are so strong for your wife , i had a moment before i could write anything on here cos last year was my year of chemo 4 a.c and 4 taxol, not much side affects but taxol i had bad tingleing in my feet and fingers, my sence of humour never waver,d cos my husband was with me every step of the way like you are with your wife. there is nothing else that you can do for her . your are helping her as you are . then in november i had lumpsectomy (the chemo shrank the 4 inch disease lump) ,went back for results two weeks later was told my nodes (22) would have to come out jan 11th that was , had the drain in , that drove me cracked cos of the measuring of the fluid so they no when to take it out, the nurse,s at breast clinis were very good as in letting me no about any results of tests . then the radiotheraphy started ,oh boy that was hard, its hard for me to explain cos its diferent for all, but once they start the treatment it goes fast , but be ware about the skin burning after two weeks , the nurses will keep a check on your wife. im on tamoxafene for 5 yrs.. had my first mammogram since last year june 15, got the all clear last week... that will be your wife when ye are all done with radiotheraphy.. when i lost my hair i saved a heap on hair dye and shaving unwanted hair, as for hair on head i laughed whhen i saw it all bald, but it took a while to get used to it, had a wig but mostly i had afew scarfs from dunns on the go, didnt like the turbins that were so dear to buy..people say that i was so brave to go through this but we dont have a choice but go get treatment and get better for our kids to see them grow up. as for the word JOURNEY i hate it cos it wasnt a holiday that we were on. my hair now is so soft no need for conditoner anymore , but the bast thing is that i dont have to wash it every 2nd day cos its not greasey like it used to be. used to dye it blond , not anymore its dark red almost maroon colour, everyone says its much better than blond.. your wife will be a diferent person when this all done, as in mind set to life ,you will be the same. ye are nearly all done , what i found is and still do is to get my head out of the cancer mode as in to get back to life before all happend. taxol stopped me walking and i got so lazy and still in that mode but it will feel so good to start back ..op give her a hugg when she least exspect cos she will be with you this time next year and along time to come.........keep us posted as to how she is getting on ok.

I have tears in my eyes reading this because it is the closest thing to our situation. Today was her last chemo session but they never gave it to her. She didn't get it last Monday either because she had a tummy bug and was dehydrated and so on. She also had the numbness in her fingers and toes and that's why she never got it today. The consultant said she had great resilience to the treatment regards side effects over the course of things and that there was no need to extend things.

Now she has a 3 week break before the radium and she is off to Kerry to her brothers on Wednesday with the kids for some R&R.

Emotionally this has been a roller coaster for me since December and still is. I am mad about my wife and the thoughts of this upsets me when I'm a loan and thinking.

The sense of humour we have can be summed up by what she said to me one day when I told her this. "well the next time you have some time to think about it let me know and i'll give you something to do" hahahahaha.

did she get her little tattoo,s from the radiotheraphy people? they measure for the scan before they start treatment, i see mine every day and nite, not that i need reminding cos they wont go away. today i found out another lady started chemo. what scared me is when they asked me if i can walk when i had first dose of taxol, what the ****k did they ask me that for ,then was told some people are hospitalized cos taxol numbed the feet, but i did get two reactions to taxol, was told the first dose i would get one but me being me i didnt,or even the 2nd one. but god on mighty the last two i went red in the face and couldnt breath properly ,the nurse stayed with me so she was on the ball as in stop the drip, that was the most scarey for me, hubbie wasnt with me that day ,cos i didnt want him stuck in there waiting for me to finish . like you jonnie he didnt want to see the poisen going into his wife, think my mum and dad are watching over me cos i didnt get sick, when i said to people the same they look at ya as if to say '' your suposed to be sick''

hi jonniek, just wondering how are things going with your wife and yourself..:):)

• Advertisement

Things are still on track. 3 weeks over with the radiotherapy and 3 to go and that's the end of the invasive treatment. She is feeling the effects of it now, tired and red skin and that.

I'm going to see a councillor my self too because everything is getting on top of me now with all this and trying to keep the company going. I used to be good at talking about my feeling's to my wife, my sis-in-law and my sister but I'm bottling it in now which is not like me at all, so I think I need some professional help.

Other than that we are on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I used to be good at talking about my feeling's to my wife, my sis-in-law and my sister but I'm bottling it in now which is not like me at all, so I think I need some professional help..

Going to talk to a councilor is a very good idea. Take any support you have access to, even if it costs a little bit.

Only 4 days left of the radiation terapy and apart from red skin and a little fatigue she is doing great.

We seen the surgeon last week (one of his hired goons) he said she will be brought in for a mammogram in December, I was of the opinion that she would be given a full scan to see if it has not gone else where after the treatment. I'll have to try and confirm this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sounds like your wife's on the final stretch now. Please God it will go really well and you can all move on :)

when i was on my last days of radio'' it felt weird cos i was going in everyday to get zapped , it was like a job same time every day, didnt have to pay for parking cos i had permit, and that felt good cos it took the frustration out of trying to find parking in all my redness and that. i had blister,s very nasty . im ok now had me last mammo in june it came back clear, and that will be your wife in december and you will have a good xmas cos of that..

• Advertisement

cats.life wrote: »
    when i was on my last days of radio'' it felt weird cos i was going in everyday to get zapped , it was like a job same time every day, didnt have to pay for parking cos i had permit, and that felt good cos it took the frustration out of trying to find parking in all my redness and that. i had blister,s very nasty . im ok now had me last mammo in june it came back clear, and that will be your wife in december and you will have a good xmas cos of that..
    Glad things went well. She has no blisters thank God.

I'm like a child here getting excited about the end. We are heading off for a few days on Wednesday with the kids and no matter what the weather it will be a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hi Johnnie.

I have never posted, but I have been following and reading your story.
    Your love for your wife is fantastic, I am sure it has been a huge part of what has gotten her to this place.
    It has been a **** time for you all, but it is so lovely to read that you are turning a corner here.
    I will keep you in my thoughts and my words to whichever deity has my ear.

Stay strong, and keep that love wrapped around your little family.x

Bell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Glad things went well. She has no blisters thank God.

I'm like a child here getting excited about the end. We are heading off for a few days on Wednesday with the kids and no matter what the weather it will be a blast.

Hope you all have a great time, ye deserve it.

Have a lovely time JohnnieK, you all deserve it :)

It's been a long time since I posted something. She finished the treatment in September and has been on hormone treatment since then. She went for a routine Mammogram of her remaining breast two weeks ago.

She got a letter in the door from Beaumont this morning, She has another appointment for a "Technical Repeat" as they call it for the 4th of January. Does anyone know what this means? As you can imagine we are up the wall again (It's like we are not supposed to have a Christmas any more). She is upset and I dont know what to do.

Why do we keep getting dumped on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

It's been a long time since I posted something. She finished the treatment in September and has been on hormone treatment since then. She went for a routine Mammogram of her remaining breast two weeks ago.

She got a letter in the door from Beaumont this morning, She has another appointment for a "Technical Repeat" as they call it for the 4th of January. Does anyone know what this means? As you can imagine we are up the wall again (It's like we are not supposed to have a Christmas any more). She is upset and I dont know what to do.

Why do we keep getting dumped on?
    You do not know anything yet and while I am not going to even try to say not to worry this really is probably nothing. I had my 18 month CT after surgery for oesophageal cancer and they found a shaddow, they did a PET/CT and then a biopsy - it turned out to be sarcoidosis. The point is that it is probably nothing, enjoy the holidays and then allow yourself to worry after them and then set the goal post for worrying later.

god damn them op , i would fone them and ask what the hell, try and fone them monday and ask to speak to some one on call that would know somthing ,, i had to fone one time at the weekend cos my feet were very bad pins and needles and i spoke to some one in oncoligy and they calmed me down, please try and call A and E even tomorrow cos there is always some one on call and tell them your wife is in a very bad state very upset cos of the letter, hope you have a fone number for your hospital, and let me know what they say..

sorry me again you said that she went for mammo 2wks ago did she get results of that, im pretty sure if they found antin they would have foned her ,not send a poxy letter out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The fact that its a "technical" review would suggest that maybe something was up with the scanner maybe? Please god its just a case of them needing to double check that everything's OK because maybe the film was dodgy or something. Its a balls that it happens just before Christmas, its just not fair after all you've been through. I'll be thinking of you both, do try not to worry.

Thanks everyone. I was talking to my brother in law who is a nurse after the last post and he has calmed us down. Apparently it happens a lot and if they are unsure of the image quality they will get you back. The mammogram is very hard to read and because she is young the tissue is denser.

A bit calmer now and it has been put to the back of the mind for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Thanks everyone. I was talking to my brother in law who is a nurse after the last post and he has calmed us down. Apparently it happens a lot and if they are unsure of the image quality they will get you back. The mammogram is very hard to read and because she is young the tissue is denser.

Your brother in law was spot on, mammography is much more difficult in younger women because of the dense tissue. It also has a high sensitivity which makes it a good screening tool but the downside to that is that the specificity is low (i.e. it shows up a lot of false positives - you would never make a diagnosis based on a mammogram)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Thank God you managed to get an answer............

I know its going to be hard, but try your very best to enjoy every moment of the holidays...
    There is a tendency to say ''This time last year.......'' - I know I am guilty of that, but we are here to tell the tale and very thankful for it!!

All the best to ye both for the Christmas and may the New Year bring us all nothing but Good News!!

Take care

M

so glad that there is calmness in your house now, this time last year i had an operation hanging over me for 11 jan.. im here and still ouch to touch surounding area, Happy christmas op, but i just wish that they would have explained on letter you got as in why for 2nd scan,,

Just an update on this! The repeat for the Mammo is tomorrow, The image was blurred on the first so that's why they want to do it again. Why could they not have just put that on the letter in the first place??:rolleyes:

Just an update on this! The repeat for the Mammo is tomorrow, The image was blurred on the first so that's why they want to do it again. Why could they not have just put that on the letter in the first place??:rolleyes: hey op how did the scan go? do you have to wait for 10 days for the results..

Hope it went well and that the result is good.

The re test was all clear thank God. Because the initial scan was un clear she was seen by a consultant radiographer after the scan to tell her it was clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The re test was all clear thank God. Because the initial scan was un clear she was seen by a consultant radiographer after the scan to tell her it was clear.

You've made my day, I was worrying away for ye. Have a brilliant weekend!

oh op i am in tears now cos you brought me back to my ALL CLEAR scan. its like such a reliefe , i had to be told twice cos my treatment went on more than a year.this time last year i was in wait for 11th jan for my 22nodes operation. that was soar plus i had to empty a drain than they put in , felt gtreat getting it out a week later,,twice i had to go back to breast clinic to get drained. .im soooooooooo happy for your wife and for you her shoulder to lean on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I'm really heartened by your 'all-clear'! My mam has been in remission since mid-October 2012 for a brain lymphoma, we were just at the hospital on 7th Jan for her first post-chemo and ASCT contrast MRI before her next out-patient appointment later this month. I've been dreading 'the phone call' but it hasn't come, so fingers crossed!

Advertisement