Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

seraphimvc wrote: »
    finished xenoblade and Last story lately. Two of the best jrpg I've played since ages!!

Personally i think xenoblade is chattered to younger players, alot of teenagers chattered elements in the game that i don't quite like them lol

Last story is more 'mature' and truly is the FF successor albeit i bet sagakuchi missed the old graphics team. The voice acting is horrible but luckily Zeal and Celista's voices are fine. I also suspect that the translation of the dialogue was hugely altered from the original. The modern english usage is really bothering me the whole game.

God damn i am so glad i have wii :D

Almost every JRPG in existence is focused towards teenagers being the primary audience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Almost every JRPG in existence is focused towards teenagers being the primary audience.

Yup, unless it's dragon quest then there's very few over 20's that play games in japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Big thanks to robbingbandit, I'm playing chrono trigger on the DS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah now, it was hardly kingdom hearts.

Funny you should say that, I found Xenoblade a lot more mature than any of the FF games.
    ah KH is in another dimension. I am fine with xenoblade, just saying 'i dont quite like it' as in compare to Last story. Or may be i should say i don't quite like the 'young' artstyle of characters in the game, the chacraters in traditional FF always cover all the age range. I am stuck with using Melia for a long time lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Halve_ZOL

cloud493 wrote: »
    Big thanks to robbingbandit, I'm playing chrono trigger on the DS :D

Chrono Trigger on my 3DS, now 8 hours in and absolutely loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started playing FFIV through the complete collection on PSP. I have said that the game looks like it was done with cheap outsource 2D art but now seeing it in motion it's a joy to behold. 2D looks stunning on the PSP and this game looks fantastic. FFIV has still got it. The story is absolute garbage but it's such a well paced story which doesn't intrude on the action with too much exposition and cutscenes that it's just a joy to play. Also it's probably the only game until FF13 where ATB actually added something to the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Started playing FFIV through the complete collection on PSP. I have said that the game looks like it was done with cheap outsource 2D art but now seeing it in motion it's a joy to behold. 2D looks stunning on the PSP and this game looks fantastic. FFIV has still got it. The story is absolute garbage but it's such a well paced story which doesn't intrude on the action with too much exposition and cutscenes that it's just a joy to play. Also it's probably the only game until FF13 where ATB actually added something to the gameplay.

I put it down last year sometime after Cecile became the White Knight.

I picked it up again but couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go!

Have to say it does look great.

noodler wrote: »
    I put it down last year sometime after Cecile became the White Knight.

I picked it up again but couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go!

Have to say it does look great.
    If you head West to back to Mysidia and talk to the town head in the big house in the North you'll advance the plot. Then there's a door in that town that leads to a warp to baron. Go there and then talk to Yang in the pub to get the baron key which opens the weapon and armour shop and a secret entrance into baron. Be warned that there's 2 boss fights in a row after that, I got my first game over there since I was out of MP for the second one so head back and use a tent when you beat the first.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Actually, now that I think about it. I had made it to the underground world so I was actually a bit further than I previously thought.

You're further than me so. I just got cid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Bought this on the PSN a few weeks ago and really want to start it.....but still playing Gravity Daze, True Ogre, Ys 7 and Persona 2......I blame you and your recommendations Retr0........ :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Is gravity rush considered an RPG? I'm counting it if it is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

cloud493 wrote: »
    Is gravity rush considered an RPG? I'm counting it if it is :pac:

I wouldn't really class it as an RPG, though it does have character/ability levelling.

I've been tempted to buy FFIV but not sure how the gameplay holds up in these modern times

animaX wrote: »
    I've been tempted to buy FFIV but not sure how the gameplay holds up in these modern times

It's still fantastic, definitely one of the best playing FF games.

You should check out the DS remake as well which changes the gameplay and enemy encounters quite a bit and makes it an even more challenging game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Currently back to playing Persona 2: IS on the PSP. Having difficulty getting into the combat and fusion system, though only about 6 hours in. I made it through the original Persona last year without too much fuss so surprised at this, though playing P3P in the meantime might've softened me up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I felt exactly the same - found it hard to play persona 2 after persona 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Which do ye prefer, the PSP or DS remakes. I've beaten the DS version and the PSP is tempting me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Which do ye prefer, the PSP or DS remakes. I've beaten the DS version and the PSP is tempting me.

They're quite different games. The DS version is kind of like an expert mode where the battle system and levelling system has been changed just enough that it's a different experience from the original game especially the end game bosses on the moon.

The PSP version is pretty much a straight port of the original japanese version of the SNES game with the GBA versions translation, which is quite good. It does look gorgeous as well.

I prefer the PSP version I have to say. I'm playing the downloadable version so there's no load times where as the DS version has load times before battles. It makes the game much snappier. Also the DS version has more elaborate cutscenes that drag on for too long. The story is rubbish and doesn't need such exposition while the PSP is much snappier and faster paced. You also get the after years games in the PSP version although I hear they aren't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

ghostchant wrote: »
    Currently back to playing Persona 2: IS on the PSP. Having difficulty getting into the combat and fusion system, though only about 6 hours in. I made it through the original Persona last year without too much fuss so surprised at this, though playing P3P in the meantime might've softened me up a bit
    I am the same i finished persona 1 started number 2 played for about 10 hours and i just can't get into it so i am just playing persona 3 now which is a cracking game

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I just started up my first Ys game, Ys The Oath in Felgrana, which I bought in the Steam sale. Loving it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was quite fond of the DS version. Should probably not spend any more cash on games for the time being.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I'm halfway through XIII-2 at the moment (first playthrough). Game's a lot more interactive than XIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

around 10 hours into DQIX decent game so far. cant help but think i might have the story figured out tho, which disappoints me a lil. i tend to only play rpgs to get through the story

around 10 hours into DQIX decent game so far. cant help but think i might have the story figured out tho, which disappoints me a lil. i tend to only play rpgs to get through the story

The main storyline is pretty formulaic alright but when you play most Dragon Quest games you are playing more for the sub stories in each town you visit which in the case of 9 are all really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

The main storyline is pretty formulaic alright but when you play most Dragon Quest games you are playing more for the sub stories in each town you visit which in the case of 9 are all really good.

have to agree with that alright, the DQ games really do rpg towns properly.

i do find the experience system a lil frustrating tho. when i get to a new area i generally have to grind a lil before im able to take on the "boss". I'm at garth goyle now and am having to solo grind with each of my chars to lvl em up as it would take far too long to do it as a team. tis a minor complaint though

have to agree with that alright, the DQ games really do rpg towns properly.

i do find the experience system a lil frustrating tho. when i get to a new area i generally have to grind a lil before im able to take on the "boss". I'm at garth goyle now and am having to solo grind with each of my chars to lvl em up as it would take far too long to do it as a team. tis a minor complaint though

If you need to grind quick, find some metal slimes and their variants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If I download jeanne de arc from the us psn store on my ps3 Is there a way I can get it onto my vita?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If I download jeanne de arc from the us psn store on my ps3 Is there a way I can get it onto my vita?

You'll need to use the same psn account on your Vita as on your PS3. Connect the two then click on the icon for the game on the PS3 and then the Content Manager on your Vita should start popping up. Click on it and follow the wizard to transfer it.

Make sure the game is Vita compatible (it'll say it in the description on the PSN store). Not all PSP games are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

damn wont be getting it so :(

• Advertisement

Shouldn't have sold that PSP.

Advertisement